Frenzy -> Cast on Melee Kill -> Discharge (Work In Progress)

Introduction
As the title says, this build main focus is on the 3 gems Frenzy, Cast on Melee Kill and Discharge.

In theory, these 3 gems have really good synergy together but in practical, they underperformed as the on kill effect was not reliable and you lose significant damage by forgoing 2 extra gem slot which could other wise be slotted with a damage boosting gems.

With the addition path 1.2.2, there was one significant change which solved the reliability issue.
"
Cast on Melee Kill now has a 100% chance to trigger supported skills at all levels. Triggered skills deal 20% increased spell damage at gem level 1, up to 77% at gem level 20.

How these 3 skill gems work together.
Whenever you hit a mob with Frenzy using a melee weapon or bow, you gain 1 frenzy charge. When you kill a mob with frenzy, you automatically cast discharge which consumes all your frenzy charges.

The key synergy here is that the more frenzy charges you build up the more damage discharge does. In this case, a melee weapon will be the ideal weapon of choice as Discharge damages every monster in an area around you. As you can see, it sounds really good on paper.

Solving its other weakness.
As I have explained earlier, its other weakness is the lack of damage. You are sacrificing 2 gem slots and at the same time, you also have to worry about the physical damage from Frenzy and the elemental damage from Discharge

In Path of Exile, its not efficient to focus on both physical damage and elemental/spell damage. Hence, the lack of damage as you have to find a balance between both. Too little physical damage and it takes a long time to kill a mob and too little elemental/spell damage, discharge will not do enough damage. Even though cast on melee kill has really good spell damage scaling, it is not enough.

However, there is one other alternative, scaling it via Critical Damage (*Booom* - Mind Blown) By focusing on global critical strike chance and global critical multiplier, we can actually solve this issue.

Dagger will be our weapon of choice, due to its implicit increase global strike chance and it high base critical strike chance. On the other hand, Discharge already has a high base critical chance of 8% and scaling it will be easy.

The Build
These builds are still work in progress.

Dagger & Shield Build
Spoiler
I am currently using this build. I have spent quite abit of regrets to respec so my gears are odd as I am constantly respecing

Skill Tree
http://poeurl.com/y5b76xy

Skill Tree Info
-All 3 Frenzy charges taken
-Achieve Max Block
-139% increased life
-Focus on global critical strike chance and multipliers
-Iron Reflexes

This is a very tanky build, wearing full evasion gear converting it to armour which synergies with max block. Quite worried about damage output.

Skill Gem Set Up
Chest
4L - Frenzy - Cast on Melee Kill - Discharge - Increased Critical Strike/Increased Critical Damage
5L - Frenzy - Cast on Melee Kill - Discharge - Increased Critical Strike + Increased Critical Damage
6L - Frenzy - Cast on Melee Kill - Discharge - Increased Critical Strike + Increased Critical Damage + Enhance

As you can see, it is perfectly viable with 5L, you might lack damage with 4L. With 6L, enhance increases Discharge AOE radius and Frenzy attack speed per frenzy charge. You get more value out of Enhance as it affects 2 active skill gems and it is a sort of a halfway between an Increase AOE gem and a Faster Attack gem. A quality 20 Discharge is mandatory in my opinion as we don't take any increase AOE passives.

Aura/Herald Set Up
4L - Herald of Ice - Herald of Thunder - Determination - Reduced Mana

Herald of Ice and Thunder synergies so well with crit builds as you get free shock and freeze which equals more damage and control. Even a crit Discharge without power charges can shock plus all the shattering AOE from killing frozen mob due to Frenzy Discharge.
Determination is used instead of Grace due to its more modifier as you will have lots of armour.

Movement skill
Whirling Blade

Curse
4L - Ethereal Knives - Curse on Hit - Assasin's Mark - Warlord's Mark

This build uses dual curse. It is also possible to use single curse. We need a corrupted amulet which also use to have addition curse or a unique ring "Doedre's Damning". Ideally a corrupted amulet is better as we want 2 diamond rings due to its implicit modifier to crit chance.

When starting off, just a single curse ideally a assasin's mark can work. I pick Ethereal Knives as it can curse up to 10 targets in a cone. The only other option was Spectral Throw but its aoe is limited due to not being able to use LMP or GMP as we only have a 4 link to work with.

Taking the notable Sniper in the the shadow starting area is advisable as it increases Ethereal Knives range. With both Assasin's Mark and Warlord's Mark, you have the ability to gain both endurance charges and power charges resulting in a bigger BOOM! You are able to reach the true power of discharge. We will also be able to leech HP from discharge due to the warlord's mark curse.

Blood Rage
As this build lacks life leech, blood rage is used and it synergies very well with Frenzy. Only down side is that you need to get a good amount of chaos resist. With blood rage, you can go from pack to pack with full frenzy charges as discharge kills and herald of thunder secondary effect grants you frenzy charges.(Not sure about Herald of Ice shattering). Your clear speed sky rockets with Blood Rage active. Even if you only kill a single mob, you start with 2 frenzy charges instead of 1.

Optional Links
4L - Cast on Stunned - Discharge - Increased Critical Strikes - Life Leech

This is like a fail safe. Since you always have a frenzy charge, 2 with blood rage. When you get stunned which generally means you took quite a big hit, it discharges and you leech life back.

Summary
This build is a single target clicker even though it clears packs quite efficiently. Knowing which mob to target first could be important. Killing the 1st mob in a pack is the hardest after that this build just keeps going on and on.

Despite the nerf to Frenzy, it is still a very good single target skill. Even though this build don't have a single target skill set up, it doesn't need it! There is already a 4L setup if you discount Cast on Melee Kill and Discharge. You just zip around the map with whirling blade and click 1 mob at a time!!!

Pretty much every skill gem in this build fell in place. Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder has on kill effect and our main skill also have on kill effect. Even Blood Rage has on kill effect.

Also a big shout out to Zeno, Ziggy and Pox for hosing State of Exile which inspired me with ideas for this build when I got stuck. Especially with State of Exile Episode #15 with the GGG devs when they talked about the implementation of Heralds with its on kill effects and its the kind of direction they want to head towards in future. This build might even be popular in future =)

Current Progress
Spoiler

Still a work in progress.

Skill Tree
http://poeurl.com/y5b7Jwp

Gear

DPS

Defense

Dual Wield Dagger
Spoiler

Skill Tree
http://poeurl.com/y5cbQrU

Skill Tree Info
-48% block
-Eldritch Battery
-Mind Over Matter
-3 Frenzy Charges
-139% Increased Life

This is my first big post. Feedback appreciated.
Last edited by kola86 on Nov 8, 2014, 9:05:32 AM
Shouldn't
be first choice? That way you should have always frenzy charges up even after a discharge kills the mob.
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Shouldn't
be first choice? That way you should have always frenzy charges up even after a discharge kills the mob.

No, getting frenzy charges is not an issue. Even though you are constantly gaining and losing charges, that unique boots has a penalty for hording frenzy charges in situation when you are trying to kill uniques and rares.

The only thing notable about the unique is its 30% chance to get frenzy charges on kill. We don't need that. We get 1 frenzy charge from just normal Frenzy kill. Another charge from Blood Rage, plus more frenzy charges from the number of mob killed by discharge. You also have around 30% to get power charges and endurance charges from warlord's mark and assasin's mark when maxed if the mobs are dual cursed.

The boots slot can be used for something else to boost resists and etc. Corrupting boots to get +1 to maximum Frenzy Charge helps to.
I don't want to be rude or negative, but from what I read I have the impression this is not a good build.

The idea is not bad but not good either cause as you said, you use too many slots for what you get.

So, the weaknesses I see:

- You have block, but no spellblock
- You have nice armour, but you cannot dodge massive attacks. You might be able to do that manually but you may get lost in the discharge animations
- desync
- hybrid build as it uses physical and spell damage, which is unfortunately inefficient
- cast on melee kill SUCKS versus bosses and big monsters
- charge generation looks bad

Positive is your tree which looks really solid, but I can't see this build having any chance in lategame content when you play solo and have to defeat map bosses.
Also I don't like relying on dual curses for charge generation.

After those points, I have suggestions for the gem setup:

- Enduring Cry for Endurance charges. Might work best with cast when stunned. OR use it in a CwDt setup, with: CwDt - Immortal Call - Enduring Cry (- Inc.Duration if 4L). Reason to go EXACTLY this order is that you want charges FIRST, so trigger 1 will just grant charges, trigger 2 will consume them for IC and grant new charges immediately after. I am however not sure if this works as intended with Discharge.

- Power Charge on Crit with Ice Spear and GMP (and Inc. Crit Strikes eventually)
for Power Charges.

Also: How do you handle the massive mana costs of Frenzy?

Would be good to see a video on the performance of the build.
“Losing a limb is no excuse for cowardice.” - Master Sollis, "Blood Song"
"
Carmondai89 wrote:

So, the weaknesses I see:

- You have block, but no spellblock
- You have nice armour, but you cannot dodge massive attacks. You might be able to do that manually but you may get lost in the discharge animations
- desync
- hybrid build as it uses physical and spell damage, which is unfortunately inefficient
- cast on melee kill SUCKS versus bosses and big monsters
- charge generation looks bad

Positive is your tree which looks really solid, but I can't see this build having any chance in lategame content when you play solo and have to defeat map bosses.
Also I don't like relying on dual curses for charge generation.

After those points, I have suggestions for the gem setup:

- Enduring Cry for Endurance charges. Might work best with cast when stunned. OR use it in a CwDt setup, with: CwDt - Immortal Call - Enduring Cry (- Inc.Duration if 4L). Reason to go EXACTLY this order is that you want charges FIRST, so trigger 1 will just grant charges, trigger 2 will consume them for IC and grant new charges immediately after. I am however not sure if this works as intended with Discharge.

- Power Charge on Crit with Ice Spear and GMP (and Inc. Crit Strikes eventually)
for Power Charges.

Also: How do you handle the massive mana costs of Frenzy?

Would be good to see a video on the performance of the build.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback Carmondai89.

You are right on weaknesses.

I have trouble doing high level maps. I have so far done up to 69 maps.
- Spell block is an issue probably Stone of Lazhwar could fix it

- Discharge is automated so there is no cast time, but the it lags sometimes but I run a 5 year old PC.

- Desync, melee always have issue (can't do anything)

- Like I pointed out very early, it is inefficient to use hybrid damage, but we can get it to work.
Math: LvL 20 Discharge (163-245 cold damage per frenzy charge) LVL 20 CoMK (77% increase Spell damage), 20% elemental damage from passive Trickery. For this example we have 50% crit chance and 600% crit multiplier which is achievable.

204(average frenzy charge damage) * 7 (maximum frenzy charges) = 1428
1428 * 1.97(Spell/Elemental multiplier) = 2813.16 (non-crit damage) At most it chills white/blue mobs, but wait we start with 2 frenzy charges and kill the next mob which is damaged.
2813.16 * 6 = 16878.96 (crit damage, everything frozen if they don't die. If some die, HoI starts a its AOE shattering damage chain reaction)

We can get 10% more elemental damage from quality 20 CoMK.
HoT, HoI, extra damage to discharge which can shock on discharge without any power charge.
Potential damage from Power charge and Endurance charge.

We do not have any issue with discharge damage as the discharge is the answer to killing packs. I am very happy with discharge Damage. With this, we don't have to invest on any elemental/spell damage passive nodes and focus on melee physical side.

- Against Big Bosses, CoMK is not the answer. Its Frenzy, with a 5L, you essentially have a 3L single target skill and its effective when you have 7 frenzy charges.

- Charge generation is easy despite what you think.

I am not a big fan of CwDT - Enduring cry - imortal call - echo setup.

- Power charges is not mandatory, its a bonus.

- At the moment I have 2% mana leech from passive and 4% mana leech from Amulet. Also with warlord's mark, you can leech mana with discharge and of course Frenzy.

I'll try to make a video as some point. Never made one before.

Despite having said all that. I do have doubts about the build. At the moment I am experiencing a lack of Frenzy damage to progress to higher maps despite me taking all the damage nodes in my build. I have decided to go another route.

My new route will be Dual Wield Daggers with Eldritch Battery, Mind Over Matter, Ondar's Guile with 50% block. Running HoI and HoT with Arctic armour. The core of the skills remains the same, I am not taking Iron Reflexes this time. Will just rely on AA for physical damage mitigation and big effective HP pool due to Mind Over Matter.

This build is still a work in progress.
Update

Last post I mention that I am shifting towards Eldritch Battery and Mind Over Matter, I bought a 5L Cloak of Defiance and just got the Eldritch Battery passive.

The switch has been amazing, running Arctic Armour. I am also trying to strip my passive nodes down to a bare minimum to not include any block nodes, My reasoning, adding block on top of evasion has diminishing return. I rather have 50% evasion and high effective hp pool than another 50% block. Plus its alot easier to get more es/mana nodes than 50% block. With less passive nodes, the build can finish early. Both shield/dagger and dual dagger will be viable.

So far I am having an absolute blast. I have attempted 73 map Canyon and it was easy. I do think that frenzy cast on melee kill discharge is high lvl map viable.

Sustaining mana has not been an issue even thought my passive nodes are not set at optimum due to me tinkering with it all the time. I have 6% mana leech at the moment (2% from passive and 4%). I can see a synergy with dual curse with warlord's mark you can essentially have 10%+ mana leech from physical and also being able to leech of discharge damage. Even though I am not using dual curse at the moment due to me unable to cap my resist without the ring slot.

I tried to upload a video last night but somehow it stopped while I was asleep. I'll try again tonight.
Good post! Cast on Melee Kill does not appear viable because it requires taking 2 superior damage gems away. But it is a neat theory.

I wish the gem didn't need to be attached to your melee attack!
please update passive skill on

https://poebuilder.com/

because it's out of date on www.pathofexile.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info