[3.0] Boom Box (Self cast molten shell)

Welcome!

This build is of course for the Witch - Elementalist, however other variants are possible with different ascendancies (such as necro for block, Juggernaut for endurance charges and armour, Berzerker for damage and leech)

The 2.6 scold's bridle nerf prevents blood magic from working with scold's. However, the new and improved MoM allows the build to get insane mana regen (700+), which is enough to sustain self cast.

Check out the vids!:
https://youtu.be/sqcpaz4H0NA - t16 highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8vkBUev8E - partial shaper

Mandatory items:

- chaos golem enchant

3 x

How it works:

The build achieves a high mana cost using 3 fevered mind jewels so that when we cast a spell, we take physical damage due to scold's bridle.

With high enough physical reduction and mana cost, we can cause molten shell to explode every cast without being hit by enemies.

Also, since we are damaging our-self with scold's we can take advantage of using some low level CWDT setups to proc Elemental Overload AND Elemental Equilibrium.

The elementalist also provides guaranteed status ailments, increased AoE/ damage, and of course, proliferation!.

Lightning warp is used to initiate the elementalist node "Mastermind of discord" which provides 25% FIRE PENETRATION. It is also an efficient movement skill.

Playstyle
Spoiler

This isn't a fast clearing build, but it does do heavy damage and has great survivability. You basically teleport around blowing things up.

Defensively, we rely on 90% phys mitigation, life regen + life flasks and Mind over Matter.

Righteous fire is experimental, and can be used at your own risk.

Pros:
Spoiler

-High damage
-high burn damage
-can tank physical damage quite well
-can do all end game bosses
-Niche build
-skill build (no face rolling - actually requires an active player)

Cons:
Spoiler

-smaller AoE than discharge
-Reflect can be a big problem
-requires skill
-Mechanics might be overwhelming for a new player

My Character (Gear):
Spoiler

Potions:

Quick summary:
-Look for gear with High armour
-Grab mana regeneration wherever possible
-Need dex on at least on piece of gear
-2% life/mana regen enchant on boots provides a large amount of mana regen

Skill Tree:
Spoiler

Boom Box MoM version

Keystones
Elemental Equilibrium, Elemental Overload , unwavering Stance, Mind over Matter

Elementalist nodes - go for Mastermind of discord and proliferation.

Bandits:
Hp - skill - skill

Stats:
Spoiler

5.8k hp
550 life regeneration regen
700 mana regen
0.2% life leech
58k armour with weapon and shield - requires buffed chaos golem to explode molten shell every cast

Molten shell damage:
45k average
62% fire pen
up to -92 fire resist from curse + EE

Videos:
Spoiler

Mind Over Matter (Latest version)
https://youtu.be/sqcpaz4H0NA - t16 montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8vkBUev8E - partial shaper
https://youtu.be/ff_TcHg1cvU - quick 2 man uber lab boss kill

(Blood magic version - pre scold nerf)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1tyFH3JNo - shaper kill

https://youtu.be/lM4KwvWX2BY montage

Notes:
Spoiler

Reflect can be a major problem, however there are several ways to deal with it. I use avoidance, however that is not the best choice. (ele reflect maps are not possible to do)

1) run 2 x Consuming Dark as offhand swap for reflect
2) drop Mastermind of discord and pickup paragon of calamity (This will take care of reflect rares)
3) pickup and cybil's Lament ring (30% reduced reflect damage taken)
4) craft a rare essence ring with -10% damage taken from reflect

Scold's Bridle Nerf

Scold's bridle requires you to actually spend mana rather than simply go by the mana cost of the skill. This prevent people from abusing blood magic or the blood magic gem.

To get around this, the build now uses a large mana pool with Mind over Matter, as well as mana leech (from warlord's Mark) and mana potions (which are generally only needed for high hp bosses like shaper).

Blood magic dealt a significant amount of damage previously per cast, however now that it is no longer needed, the build has substantially increased in surviavabilty using Mind over Matter.

The gameplay is almost exactly the same as blood magic.

Lastly, getting the chaos golem enchant on a scold's bridle can be very difficult. If that is not an option, you can also use enduring cry for endurance charges.

Math (incomplete - still testing things out)
Spoiler

Mind Over Matter (latest Version - superior in every way)

Blood magic
shield setup
Level 20 molten shell

1 EC 6664 - 5836 = 828 - mana cost (476) = 352 dmg taken
472 x 4 = 1888
90% phys reduction

1888 x 0.1 = 189

1888 - 352 = 1536 mitigated
lvl 20 needs to mitigate 1508 to explode which means we are good.

2 endurance charges only - 6664- 5912 = 752 - 472 = 220

472 x 4 = 1888
90% phys reduction

1888 x 0.1 = 189

220- 189 = 31 which means we are not mitigating 90% of the scold damage.

level 21
3 x EC - no explosion - 2 doryani
6664 - 5819 = 845

845 - 492 mana cost = 353 phys dmg

492 x 4 = 1968

1968 x 0.1 = 197 phys dmg taken with 90% reduction

353 / 1968 = 0.179

we are mitigating 82% of the dmg

1968 x 0.82 = 1613.76 - the threshhold of 21 molten shell is 1664

Special Credits:
Spoiler

Thanks a lot to Márkusz - his pvp molten shell build was my inspiration - he also did a lot of the math.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1795966

The whole molten shield thing came from a specific PVPer we simply refer to as God. So thanks God.

Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
Last edited by DreamScythe on Oct 4, 2017, 12:48:35 AM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2018, 3:35:58 PM
All of your additional life from gear, strength, and passives equate out to 571. For a build that emphasized being highly survivable, and picked up 247% increased maximum life, I feel like you're not contributing enough HP to make use of your pathing. In the video specifically, I saw several moments where you had taken considerable damage and if any spell caster had bothered to look your way, you would have been in real problems. Also, How does Uber Izaro feel like when he cleave/slams you?

You have very reasonable armour, I give you that, however I see no special consideration for all of the fire damage that you are doing from reflected sources. You went elementalist, but failed to pick up Paragon of Calamity. You also only have 0.4% of fire damage leech from sources, How is that enough to mitigate fire reflect K.O. scenarios? I see you have a weapon swap of 2 Catalysts... but 0.6% is still really low, no?

I recognize that in your video montage, you showcased several bosses that you simply mitigated all threat of their mechanics by ending the fight within 4-6 seconds. There are bosses in the game that have hard restrictions to prevent this (immunity timers, transitions, twinned, etc.) Do you have any thoughts for those?

I noticed you crafted % reduction in Degen damage, which I assume is for the Righteous Fire you have socketed in your catalyst. Yet no where in the guide do I see any explanation of how that will be used, or when you would want to use it. You don't use it in the video, and you only have 9.4% HP regen. Considering that you are causing damage to yourself constantly with the application of Scolds (Admittedly a portion is prevented via armour) and monsters do hit you... How are you ever choosing to turn on RF and lose your primary sustain in the process? I feel like RF was meant to be part of the guide and was forgotten about during the write-up. (Yes I see the lab enchant on the boots, but 11.4% hp regen is far below where most RF builds feel comfortable.)

Animated Guardians helm enchant? What would you have put there instead? I assume Molten Shell damage?

In the build guide you listed as inspiration, the author uses a Zerphi's. Would you consider it, or care to explain your thought process for leaving it out?

Cheers

p.s. a scolds bridle build without vaal molten shell looks funny to me. I don't know why. Also, what's added chaos damage doing on your flame dash/cwdt setup anywho? >_>
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Jan 23, 2017, 2:04:33 AM
"
Kwitch wrote:
All of your additional life from gear, strength, and passives equate out to 571. For a build that emphasized being highly survivable, and picked up 247% increased maximum life, I feel like you're not contributing enough HP to make use of your pathing. In the video specifically, I saw several moments where you had taken considerable damage and if any spell caster had bothered to look your way, you would have been in real problems. Also, How does Uber Izaro feel like when he cleave/slams you?

You have very reasonable armour, I give you that, however I see no special consideration for all of the fire damage that you are doing from reflected sources. You went elementalist, but failed to pick up Paragon of Calamity. You also only have 0.4% of fire damage leech from sources, How is that enough to mitigate fire reflect K.O. scenarios? I see you have a weapon swap of 2 Catalysts... but 0.6% is still really low, no?

I recognize that in your video montage, you showcased several bosses that you simply mitigated all threat of their mechanics by ending the fight within 4-6 seconds. There are bosses in the game that have hard restrictions to prevent this (immunity timers, transitions, twinned, etc.) Do you have any thoughts for those?

I noticed you crafted % reduction in Degen damage, which I assume is for the Righteous Fire you have socketed in your catalyst. Yet no where in the guide do I see any explanation of how that will be used, or when you would want to use it. You don't use it in the video, and you only have 9.4% HP regen. Considering that you are causing damage to yourself constantly with the application of Scolds (Admittedly a portion is prevented via armour) and monsters do hit you... How are you ever choosing to turn on RF and lose your primary sustain in the process? I feel like RF was meant to be part of the guide and was forgotten about during the write-up. (Yes I see the lab enchant on the boots, but 11.4% hp regen is far below where most RF builds feel comfortable.)

Animated Guardians helm enchant? What would you have put there instead? I assume Molten Shell damage?

In the build guide you listed as inspiration, the author uses a Zerphi's. Would you consider it, or care to explain your thought process for leaving it out?

Cheers

p.s. a scolds bridle build without vaal molten shell looks funny to me. I don't know why. Also, what's added chaos damage doing on your flame dash/cwdt setup anywho? >_>

I will try to address as much of this as possible. First and foremost though, the build is a work is progress.

1) Efficiency of life - I understand where you are coming from, a lot of my gear does not have life on it. One remedy could be to run a 6l 2k+ ar chest along with the armor shield. You lose a doryani but gain a lot of life. I personally like the brass dome and believe it more than makes up for the lack of life.

2) Reflect is definitely an issue. I generally use proliferate to kill the reflect mobs. If you are not confortable with that, then pickup Paragon of Calamity instead of Mastermind of discord. There is also the option of using a rare ring with the 10% reduced reflect damage taken mod or a Sybil's Lament (30% reduced reflect).

3) I am yet to encounter a boss whose mechanics are too challenging for the build, other than possibly uber atziri (but that might be because I don't run Uber atziri). I do however run uber labrynth and both Argus and Uber Izaro are not much of a challenge (his slam can take 3/4 of my hp though with the right mods).

4) I think you underestimate the power of the Blood Grip Amulet. It is true, 0.6% leech (0.4 from weapons, 0.2 from amulet) is rather low. 10.4% life regen also isn't anything special. But 100% effect buffed life potions provide massive life recovery.

5) RF is experimental. I will not include it in the guide until I have enough information as to whether it is worthwhile. I have used it in t15 maps - though it requires me to use my offhand shield and rely on potions for life recovery.

6) Lastly regarding scold's. To anyone who wishes to use zerphi's, that requires a gem slot for a blood magic gem, and slight adjustment of the mana cost using fevered mind jewels. It would also mean removing the blood magic keystone. I personally find that zerphi's is by far one of the most broken items int he game when utilized correctly. It is far superior to even legacy vinktar's for certain builds. I chose not to use Zerphi's for the same reason people might try playing solo self found - Just because I can.

Thank you for your detailed criticism, I will definitely be updating a few key points to address some of the issues you brought up. Cheers!
Last edited by DreamScythe on Jan 23, 2017, 11:23:56 AM
uploading a shaper kill - should be up in an hour or so
Would double consuming dark + hungry abyss jewel work if you wanted to do massive poison DPS + ignites? This would also negate reflect.

Also, if you went with Berserker (with the above mentioned item setup) how do you think it would match against elementalist for single target? Obviously, without the free proliferation it would be bad for map clearing.

edit : on second thought, map clearing would still be good if you used abyssal cry to pop mobs.
Last edited by mochimutt on Jan 24, 2017, 4:34:28 AM
"
Would double consuming dark + hungry abyss jewel work if you wanted to do massive poison DPS + ignites? This would also negate reflect.

Also, if you went with Berserker (with the above mentioned item setup) how do you think it would match against elementalist for single target? Obviously, without the free proliferation it would be bad for map clearing.

edit : on second thought, map clearing would still be good if you used abyssal cry to pop mobs.

why don't you just offer OP just switch to PoisonStorm and don't try to come up with something original at all? xD
Poisonstorm is kinda lame, molten shell is much more impressive. I was more just curious as to whether or not it would be a nice *synergy* between both build ideas, mainly because molten shell hits hard as a truck and that I prefer life builds and non-channeling shit.
Last edited by mochimutt on Jan 24, 2017, 1:03:20 PM
"

I think the damage would be decent with two consuming dark's. If anything, that is a nice alternative for reflect - perhaps worthy of an offhand swap. I will have to add that as an option for dealing with reflect ;p

If you really wanted to focus on poison however, I think the berzerker class may fill the roll better, but rather than two consuming darks, run a Bino's to proliferate the poison. You also get low cd, more pwowerful warcries (abyssal cry as you said would fit in nicely)

Then there is the option of either the 100% leech, which unfortunately wont be activated since we have such high armor, but would be good against bosses. The other option is of course the 40% more damage - which applies to the poison.

I cannot make a comparison for damage at this point in time, but keep in mind that fire damage double dips with burn, however poison would receive no double dipping (other than maybe Conc effect).
Last edited by DreamScythe on Jan 24, 2017, 2:47:03 PM
now have 41,600 armor

-58,000 while using shield

Got new helm enchant that allows the build to run level 21/20% molten shell

Report Forum Post

Report Account: