Freezing Pulse support gems

This is obviously a matter pulled around for ages, and everyone seems to have their own favourite combinations of gems.

What interests me though, for a high end crit freeze pulse build, what would give more damage (screw tooltip dps, I'm talking actual output), Added Lightning or Faster Projectiles?

Lets say the other links are FP-PCoC-GMP-ColdPen-Leech. Which one on 6th slot would give more, Added Lightning or Faster Projectiles? We are talking 20% quality gems across.

So the way they work (as far as I know from what I've read so far):

Added lightning - since FP has 5 overlapping pulses; if it crits, 1 pulse will apply 1 shock stack, 2nd pulse 2nd shock stack (already dealing 30% bonus damage from the 1st shock stack), 3rd pulse 3rd shock stack (already dealing 60% bonus from the 2 stacks), and the remaining 2 pulses would deal 90% bonus damage each - plus the added lightning damage itself scales with crits, spell damage, etc. So this overall is the same as adding 1.8 more pulses, if you would want to visualize the damage (plus the base lightning damage to scale).

On the other hand, Faster Projectiles gives 10% cast speed, 19% increased projectile damage, and 68% icreased projectile speed - cast speed and projectile damage are self explanatory, while "increased projectile speed" should give an "invisible" multiplier to the pulses which works in a similar fashion to point blank (same principle).
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
"
VenatorPoE wrote:
FP-PCoC-GMP-ColdPen-Leech

you wont be able to sustain this in case of mana with the current changes in leech believe me. you are going out of mana in 2-3 seconds of casting. exchange GMP with LMP and maybe you will sustain it in mana.
"
AluCarD1911 wrote:
"
VenatorPoE wrote:
FP-PCoC-GMP-ColdPen-Leech

you wont be able to sustain this in case of mana with the current changes in leech believe me. you are going out of mana in 2-3 seconds of casting. exchange GMP with LMP and maybe you will sustain it in mana.

The assumption is that it can be sustained - so under that assumption, which support gem (blah blah already said the rest in op).
Added lightning for sure between those two, though you should also consider faster casting IMO before faster projectiles, since it scales so well with FPs high base cast speed.

Still though, added lightning adds a huge chunk of damage to FP with its 100% damage effectiveness and shock potential. Especially since they buffed added lightning/chaos back in release.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
Added lightning for sure between those two, though you should also consider faster casting IMO before faster projectiles, since it scales so well with FPs high base cast speed.

Still though, added lightning adds a huge chunk of damage to FP with its 100% damage effectiveness and shock potential. Especially since they buffed added lightning/chaos back in release.

Faster casting would obliterate my mana pool though - I'm aiming at slower cast speed but harder impact.

So Faster Projectiles isn't giving good damage to FP? Why do people absolutely adore 20% quality on FP than?
Projectile speed increases the high % Freeze "zone" of the Pulse and increases effective range. This is pretty well documented in the thread on the skill.

It doesn't increase damage so much as it increases utility.
"
Sinnesteuer wrote:
Projectile speed increases the high % Freeze "zone" of the Pulse and increases effective range. This is pretty well documented in the thread on the skill.

It doesn't increase damage so much as it increases utility.

Ah, perfect! Thanks a lot - apparently I was simply misinformed! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info