How we Made PATH OF EXILE: ROYALE

You know what skills to nerf (split arrow/frost blade).

Improvements could be: simplified skill tree (but still different classes!), party queue to play together with friends, add movement skills (or would it be too op..?), let us decide where to land!

TLDR: make it more like fortnite

Last but not least, put a lot of manpower to this and get it done asap before someone else steals the idea and makes a fortune from it. Must also add that I absolutely loved the mode!!
Good work GGG ! It was very funny :)
Personnaly I recommand tu launch it ONLY in great occasions (Easter - Halloween - Christmas - New Year...) itwould be better than always
Thanks
Enjoyed playing it a couple of times and would love to see it again.

In it's current form it doesn't work as a permanent game mode. It gets boring quite quickly, mostly due to lack of variation and obvious "best" setups.

Things that need change:
- Allow players to easily restart game (instead of having to delete character and make new character).
- Early game was too much RNG, run around and hope to get Frost blade, Split Arrow or Freezing Pulse.
- Make more skills & unique items available, probably by lowering level requirements of other existing items and skills.

If the Royale mode would be more balanced and have more variation, I would love playing it as recurring temporary game mode.
I am personally fine with you guys working on the royal game mode.

HOWEVER, PLEASE do not put your focus on it - leave it as a smaller side project. The amount of support you guys have gotten from selling packs throughout the years is a testament to how good the arpg element in POE is.

Please, please do NOT stop developing the arpg aspect of the game with temp leagues and big content updates.
Last edited by Kiyoniz on Apr 4, 2018, 3:18:06 PM
Played it for about 2 minutes, not a real fan of those royal games ...

So even it if comes back, i'm pretty sure i won't play again ... so i prefer if you concentrate on PoE itself.
"How did PvP fail in PoE in the past?" -Probably because not enough players were interested of it.

I was trying to understand OG people from Diablo 2 PvP days. Before the Royale, it always felt like gimmick in the game. This really makes sense if more people are insterested on it. Maybe its worth inspecting and trying out more PvP content in PoE?

Streamers seemed to enjoy it, even tho I really couldnt be bothered with it. So it must be good for the community right?
Hi!
Royale was really fun. Great for a start. love to see a ladder of some sort maybe with mmr. More varients/maps, possibly less rng at the start, more at mid-end
Yeah, meah...

This was excellent as an April Fool's gag, but the mechanics used in the core game just don't translate well to Royale.

Early character level, abilities, and sckills are balanced for the Coast, slow zombies, crabs, rhoas, etc... and per class as solo or as party -- NOT for solo v solo.

Some early skills dominate too hard, and RNG too unforgiving. I like the idea of everyone starting from nothing, but it's just too hard to be much fun.

I would like to see GGGs resources spent in the core game instead. But it'd be LOL if each year or holiday, or whatever, if Royale returns each time, but with something ridiculous (or balancing) being added to it...

Tabula Rasa in EVERY barrel. Oni Caroshi in EVERY barrel. Chilled/burning/shocking ground mashups. Or everyone starts at lvl 28 like in low-level PvP. Or everyone starts at lvl 100; LOL: spend the time allocating points or RUNNING FOR YOUR LIIIFE.
Well, I my opinion current balance in PvP is awfull and it's supposed to be fixed first, before you would jump on to ROYALE.
But answering GGG question - yes royale was a bunch of fun, but also it is important to understand that if this mode would stay for a week instead of 30hrs, reaction would be different (more negative I would say), as it was unbalanced as hell... :D

P.s. won royale with split arrow + quillrain + blackheart + craghead...(just OP)
The game was a blast.
Seems about 50% of people that played/tried it liked it. So Royale would be sustainable.

Split arrow was way OP. It provided OP with no skill involved. You could kill someone from 2 screens away.

I think if the ROYALE was available everyday it would get old fast. I think maybe 1st Sunday of every month, or something similar would be great.

Some ideas of future ROYALEs:

-Large island so people can reach lvl 20
-Start with gems infront of players so they can choose what they want to use at the beginning.
-Make everyone have to start with the same character
-People start with uniques to use up to lvl 10
-Get rid of super fast snakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info