Our intention was to release an experimental copy of the macOS Path of Exile client around a week ago, so that community members could test it before its official release tomorrow alongside Heist. A series of last-minute unexpected technical problems meant that we only had this client distributable today. Our new plan is to release this experimental client immediately for feedback from adventurous macOS users, and to officially release on Mac in around a week.

We have put together a macOS version of 3.11.2 (which does not include any Heist content) and have released an installer .dmg file here for Mac users to test. This version will update to and work with Heist tomorrow.

To install it, download and open the .dmg file. Drag the Path of Exile folder into your Applications folder, then launch Path of Exile from within there. It will patch in a full download of the game. Note that you can't copy your Content.ggpk file from a PC to speed it up, and you shouldn't try to use the Content.ggpk from the PC torrent that we'll be releasing today.

Update: So we kind of failed when making the installer. We're going to fix this over the next week, but there's a small manual workaround you can do in the meantime to avoid the "Invalid Installation" error. Once PoE is installed from the .dmg file, you need to open a terminal and run the following command:

xattr -c /Applications/Path\ of\ Exile/Path\ of\ Exile.app

(If you were one of the very first users to test this and you still have problems, or if the client says it is the wrong version when you log in, you'll need to delete your Content.ggpk file and patch again. We made a change that invalidated the old download, sorry! This shouldn't affect many people at all).

This version may be buggy and still has a few things we want to fix, so we recommend not playing it with your hardcore characters!

The macOS version plays on the same servers as the PC version and uses the same accounts/characters/microtransactions/etc. There's no problem switching back and forth between mac and PC as you wish. This experimental 3.11.2 version will patch itself to Heist tomorrow.

We are maintaining a Known Issues list for the macOS version here.

Please post any issues you encounter in the bug reports forum (preferably with "Mac" in the subject).

Edit: I have merged the previous edits into the main body of the text.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
We're looking into the problem with the installation being invalid, sorry!
"
Eclaer wrote:
So I tested the game on Mac again for first time in a couple months for Mayhem, there were no issues launching the game with the default installer, and it performed better than Path of Exile did on windows bootcamp on the same Mac.

This was definitely an inspiring sign, since its like this way with league of legends too.

Later I decided to try some higher performance characters, my flicker striker in heist... on windows it freezes & delays a lot more, on mac I was surprised to not get those freezes. It was smooth gameplay.

All of my settings were on minimum as it is an older macbook but it had stable 30 fps, the only minor problems were some texture issues and parts of the map blacking out but this didn't impact gameplay or cause any lag.

This playthrough was a surprising improvement from September, I think they can have a stable Mac client next year

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you are enjoying the macOS client and can’t wait to share the full release with you in the future.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info