Monsters have 100% Block from Expedition is uncapped and blocking 100% damage.

If monsters having 100% block chance is intended, instead of being capped at 75% plus that bonus, these mods should probably be highlighted in yellow. I'm pretty sure it was truly 100% block chance because not even white mobs were dying. I'm not 100% certain because I was mostly trying to not die to lighning strikes from a rare that had it too.

Had to put on a block chance reduction gem on a secondary skill to carefully whittle them all down, just out of spite...

Edit: Also, back in Legion monsters with innate block were changed to not block 100% of incoming damage, but it would seem monsters without innate block are.
Last edited by Ranzear on Jul 25, 2021, 9:27:38 PM
Last bumped on Feb 11, 2022, 11:31:46 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+100% chance is not the same as 100% chance. If they have 3% chance to block and they get +100% chance, they now have 6% chance to block.
That's hilariously wrong. They had 100% block chance, period. White mobs wouldn't be casually strolling about under 100k dps from three Doryani's Touch totems otherwise.

"Nah they only had 6% block, you're just unlucky" lmao...
Last edited by Ranzear on Jul 25, 2021, 9:11:11 PM
"
olman wrote:
+100% chance is not the same as 100% chance. If they have 3% chance to block and they get +100% chance, they now have 6% chance to block.

You're thinking of 100% increased Chance to Block Attack/Spell Damage. That's not the same thing as +100% Chance to Block Attack/Spell Damage.

To OP: Not sure why you put this as a bug and not as Feedback and Suggestions, given that the +50% block chance node are not the same as the Immunity modifiers at all; you can actually work around +100% block chance (as you did), plus you need to consciously decide to stack 2 of these challenge modifiers to reach that level of block as opposed to just 1 single node.

I definitely would not have wasted GGG staff time by writing this as a Bug Report. I definitely would have posted it as Feedback and Suggestions first.

EDIT: I changed my mind later and think this can be investigated as a bug, if the facts stated by the OP are true (i.e. can reproduce 0% chance to deal damage to monsters with hits with these modifiers when having no block chance reduction).

The only bug I can imagine here is that Excavated Monsters aren't respecting the 75% block chance cap. However, given that you were "not 100% certain" it seems pretty damn disrespectful to presume 100% block chance as opposed to 85% block chance + Ward being the culprit instead of gathering evidence that this is truly a bug.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 25, 2021, 9:36:00 PM
Except also that back in 3.7 (Legion) monsters that can block were changed to only block most of the damage, not completely negate it. That's the part I forgot to include from our discord discussion.

So it would seem also that this mod is causing monsters without innate block to block 100% of damage as well, so it does belong in bug reports.

That would also exclude the idea that being just at capped block would let Ward do as you say, which only partial damage reduction wouldn't allow.
Last edited by Ranzear on Jul 25, 2021, 9:20:44 PM
That's true, I forgot about the block change. I suppose GGG could still go ahead and say it's intended that Excavated monsters are able to fully block attacks unlike all other monsters changed in 3.7, but that would be quite a mean design choice for the developers to do.

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 25, 2021, 9:26:50 PM
I updated the title too. This wasn't just 'oh, I was mildly inconvenienced by some mechanic'. This was "Holy crap, these white mobs aren't dying after thirty seconds of Doryani beatdown, but I only picked one irrelevant yellow mod?"
"
Ranzear wrote:
I only picked one irrelevant yellow mod?"

A lot of the non-yellow mods appear to be intended to be real nasty. For example, 20% cull instantly kills a lot of classic Low Life builds; "Cannot Leech Life/Mana" is a huge showstopper for many builds, etc.

It does seem intended that the developers want you to be reading every modifier :P but I edited my post above that if you were truly dealing no damage to these monsters over a large number of hits without Block Chance Reduction Support, then there's probably a bug going on.

You are incorrect. Monsters correctly have maximum chance to block attack damage, with a base value of 75. This does apply. With the total mods shown in your screenshot, the monsters will have a final value of 85% chance to block attack damage, because the +100% is limited by the maximum, which has a +10 bonus.

Checking this has led me to an actual bug though - monsters currently don't set a value for maximum spell block, which means they have 0, instead of the correct value of 75. This doesn't mean their block is uncapped, it means the cap is zero - with the total mods in your screenshot, the monsters will only have a total of 10% chance to block spell damage. I will get this fixed.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 25, 2021, 10:23:39 PM
Thanks for checking on it Mark. I had to grab that crop from discord because I lost the map (and /bug number) while we were discussing it, so there may have been other map mods affecting it too. Can't always make perfectly sterile observations in the middle of gameplay.

Any comment on monsters taking zero damage when they have such high block though? That was supposed to be changed back in Legion.
Last edited by Ranzear on Jul 26, 2021, 5:21:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info