Spell Totem Support + Impending Doom Support + Curse = never triggers Doom Blast

Impending Doom Support states it does not support curse skills that are triggered or applied as an aura.

Totems do not trigger curses or apply them as an aura by default, they cast them directly on behalf of the player.

A totem that casts a curse with impending doom supported does not ever trigger doom blast, even long after the totem expires and the curse expires also.

When highlighting Impending Doom support, it shows as a valid support for a curse supported by Spell Totem Support.

Once linked, even the skill description shows that it should work:
Last edited by MythicsMT on Sep 20, 2021, 4:22:02 PM
Last bumped on Sep 21, 2021, 2:17:59 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Was this setup socketed in Cures_Curses's Shackles of the Wretched?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Hexes only gain doom when they are self-cast. Since you have totems casting the curse, they'll have no doom to proc the Doom Blast. Impending Doom supports the curse not the totem, so it will still show as valid. But it won't work.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Sep 20, 2021, 6:14:39 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
Was this setup socketed in Cures_Curses's Shackles of the Wretched?

Nope, this test was done in a Tabula only. In trying out other possible uses, I did notice Shackles of the Wretched doesn't pass Impending Doom to the player though (assuming reflecting the curse to you is considered a trigger and since triggers can't trigger triggers, it makes some sense to not pass it along).

"
aggromagnet wrote:
Hexes only gain doom when they are self-cast. Since you have totems casting the curse, they'll have no doom to proc the Doom Blast. Impending Doom supports the curse not the totem, so it will still show as valid. But it won't work.

Doom Blast does not require doom to trigger. It triggers when the hex it supports ends. It does, however, grant 60% more damage per 5 doom on the hex that triggers it.
Last edited by MythicsMT on Sep 20, 2021, 7:28:24 PM
It does need doom though. If there is zero doom, it doesn't proc at all. If there is any amount of doom, it procs for base damage +more per 5 doom.

"Impending Doom" and "Doom Blast" wouldn't even make sense if Doom isn't involved.

Edit: Also, you will see the same result if you link them to Trap Support. Much like totems, traps cast the spells they are linked to. Everything shows up as valid, but when the curse ends--no Doom Blast. Same with mines.

It simply does not work if you don't cast the curse yourself. GGG should probably add more clarity to the tooltip for Impending Doom.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Sep 20, 2021, 8:32:35 PM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
It does need doom though.

I see no mention of this anywhere.

"
aggromagnet wrote:
"Impending Doom" and "Doom Blast" wouldn't even make sense if Doom isn't involved.

"Hex Blast" doesn't require the enemy to be hexed and still makes plenty of sense, to me at least. This just seems like your opinion. Nothing wrong with that of course (I hope they take player opinions into account), but I was reporting a bug based on the function not matching the verbiage.

Seems like GGG went out of their way to state "does not support curse skills that are triggered or applied as an aura" instead of just saying "only supports self-cast curses".

"
aggromagnet wrote:
It simply does not work if you don't cast the curse yourself. GGG should probably add more clarity to the tooltip for Impending Doom.

Agreed 100%, but that's only if it works as intended and it's the tooltip that is wrong. I'd rather not assume anything here really and just stick to reporting the discrepancy of function vs description.

Maybe something to note, Hextouch originally worked with Impending Doom and Doom Blast. Made for a very fun build if you scaled reduced/decreased skill duration, the Doom Blast could re-apply the curse with Impending Doom again.

This was 'fixed' even though Hextouch specifically 'applies' the curse it supports and does not trigger it or present it as an aura. Another odd discrepancy of verbiage vs function compared with other related skill and item interactions.
Totems can't trigger skills, Doom Blast is a trigger.

It's not related to doom.
Last edited by MonaHuna on Sep 20, 2021, 9:47:14 PM
"
MonaHuna wrote:
Totems can't trigger skills, Doom Blast is a trigger.

It's not related to doom.
It's triggered by the curse it supports. The totem is irrelevant in that regard, as it's not supporting the totem in any way. The Impending Doom tooltip alone is (or should be) enough to make it obvious that doom matters. "Deals chaos damage in an area based on the amount of Doom on the triggering Hex." Zero doom=zero function. It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
It's triggered by the curse it supports. The totem is irrelevant in that regard, as it's not supporting the totem in any way.
So a skill supported by Spell Totem becomes totemified - it summons a totem that use the skill instead of using the skill directly. The totem is not irrelevant cuz the skill now have totem property and thus can't trigger other skills.

"
aggromagnet wrote:
The Impending Doom tooltip alone is (or should be) enough to make it obvious that doom matters. "Deals chaos damage in an area based on the amount of Doom on the triggering Hex." Zero doom=zero function. It really doesn't seem that complicated to me.
And if you keep reading...
"
Deals (39–2247) to (58–3370) Chaos Damage
60% more Damage per 5 Doom on Hex
Trigger This Skill when a Hex from Supported Skills ends
It has base damage and depending on doom multiplier.
Also surprise, hexes applied on hexproof enemies can't generate doom, but Doom Blast still deals that base damage to them.

"
MythicsMT wrote:
Maybe something to note, Hextouch originally worked with Impending Doom and Doom Blast. Made for a very fun build if you scaled reduced/decreased skill duration, the Doom Blast could re-apply the curse with Impending Doom again.

This was 'fixed' even though Hextouch specifically 'applies' the curse it supports and does not trigger it or present it as an aura. Another odd discrepancy of verbiage vs function compared with other related skill and item interactions.
Yep that's because applying is a special case of triggering. You can conclude it knowing that Hextouch/Bane count as a trigger in context when a skill supported by more than one trigger get disabled.
"
MonaHuna wrote:
The totem is not irrelevant cuz the skill now have totem property and thus can't trigger other skills.

Totems typically gain your items and passives, but not your gems even when socketed in the items they gain. It explains why curse on hit implicits work for totems/traps/mines but also why Mark of Submission does not. So yes, I agree that the 'totem property' makes all the difference here.

The problem I have with it is that means totems/traps/mines can trigger things if bound to them by items/passives, but not when bound to them by supports. This is completely counter-intuitive. Items and passives work but not support gems which the player manually assigns solely to support them, which even show up in the skill description as functional?

With these types of interactions, I strongly believe this is worthy of calling a bug and changing the functionality so that gems via triggers or like in this case directly supported tie to the totem/trap/mine also.

Worst case, they could keep triggers like Impending Doom/Doom Blast from supporting curses in a totem/trap/mine and/or keep Doom Blast's functionality from showing up in the tooltip as if it'll work.
Last edited by MythicsMT on Sep 21, 2021, 2:40:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info