Viper Strike

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Islidox wrote:
Quick question: So is Viper Strike a charge-based mechanic or a buff mechanic?

And the more important question, would the Increased Duration support gem increase the length of time the poison buffs/charges remain activated?
increased buff and skill duration passives and the support gem, work on viper strike. i have 13 second long viper strike without the skill gem from all duration related passives.

Thanks for the answer! Now I know what my Viper Strike setup is going to look like. (with Added Chaos Damage, Increased Duration, and Added Cold Damage support)
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Islidox wrote:
Thanks for the answer! Now I know what my Viper Strike setup is going to look like. (with Added Chaos Damage, Increased Duration, and Added Cold Damage support)
the added cold damage and added chaos damage will just hit once, just making sure you know that.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Islidox wrote:
the added cold damage and added chaos damage will just hit once, just making sure you know that.

Oh yea, I know that. The Added Chaos damage is icing on the cake before the charges set in. I see Viper Strike as a DPH skill meant for rare and unique bosses, and DPH is more important than attack speed.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Viper Strike is good as a complimentary skill, not as a primary skill and that makes me sad. There is not much to experiment with when creating a build centered on Viper Strike.

The skill requires "fast" weapons and the player feels compelled to build Attack Speed to make better use of Viper Strike. You want those 4 stacks up as quick as possible!

However, any additional use of this skill is wasted damage. Yes, it refreshes the duration on the stacks, but that only requires 1 Viper Strike every X seconds (X being its duration) to keep it up.

Since players will naturally go for Attack Speed when using Viper Strike, the skill would need to be changed to accomodate that.

Suggestion:
At 4 charges, any additional applications of Viper Strike will refresh the duration on the current charges and also deal a flat amount of Chaos damage.

This change would make it very appealing to fast attack builds. The skill doesn't need AOE, it needs to be considered as a primary "spammable" skill like any other melee abilities.

Note: Puncture falls into the same category. It can't be used as a primary "spammable" skill.
Wouldn't it be really awesome if this skill worked with Chain?

I know it doesn't create projectiles as it is now, but it would be awesome if it did (like Lightning Strike, except only one projectile is created and it can Chain).
Last edited by ptt_frmr on Nov 30, 2012, 4:53:50 AM
I use this skill on my claw witch in combination with frenzy and double strike. I think the key switch up between different other skills between the uses of viper strike. It is one of my main attack skills.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
dear mark,

im a bit confused, i got viper strike linked with quality added chaos and item drop supports while using redbeak.

i read in an earlier part of the added chaos feedback that quality should affect all linked chaos dmg. the display only shows change in direct chaos dmg.

the charge dmg, according to the display, is also unaffected by redbeak, when i switch on the bm auras (yes, my other skills do get an increase)

when using viper strike on bosses, ive been a bit dissapointed by supposed changes in item drops.
could u please confirm if the dmg overtime is affected by the linked supports and redbeak.

i thank you for your wisdom
i can answer the item find question, the support gem for increased rarity or quantity only works on the killing hit of linked skill. gear based rarity and quant boost still works for viper strike.
I know in regards to burning and poison arrow AoE item rarity and item quantity are not taken into consideration since the game does not differentiate between DoTs. This might be different from Viper Strike since it is a charge based DoT however.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

In order to allow some builds to accommodate viper strike as more of a main ability perhaps it could have some a buff from frenzy charges similar to frenzy and flicker strike.

On paper you would never use frenzy or viper strike more than one in a while to keep up the stacks, frenzy's charge buff allows it to be a main spammed for bosses. I would like to see a similar mechanic added to viper strike.

Alternately you could include an AOE mechanic into this ability such as when the target dies viper strike stacks get applied to all nearby enemies. This would be useful as an alternative to having only 1 melee aoe ability in lightning strike.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info