Arctic Armour

I've been using arctic armour for quite some time now and i have to say that
it's underwhelming.

It reduces phys/fire damage but only while stationary which doesn't mean much in a game where most players need to stay mobile in order to survive heavy,and the not so heavy, hits.

As a result it gets eclipsed by other defensive skills, such as flesh and stone, that don't have such kind of limitations.

I would suggest removing the "while stationary" restriction so that more builds can benefit from it and so that the skill can have a wider use.
Last edited by Yperkeimenos on Jan 31, 2020, 4:41:36 PM
I have never been able to find a good use for this gem. I even bought the spiffy MTX for it, because it fit the theme of my Ice Witch, but I just can't be bothered to use it with all the confounding limitations on the skill. Would it be so OP if the skill were unleashed? ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Yperkeimenos wrote:
I've been using arctic armour for quite some time now and i have to say that
it's underwhelming.

It reduces phys/fire damage but only while stationary which doesn't mean much in a game where most players need to stay mobile in order to survive heavy,and the not so heavy, hits.

As a result it gets eclipsed by other defensive skills, such as flesh and stone, that don't have such kind of limitations.

I would suggest removing the "while stationary" restriction so that more builds can benefit from it and so that the skill can have a wider use.

While it would be a complication to a gem that already has several effect, I feel like you could make a middle ground that keeps the spirit of the original intact.

Something like: a baseline effect that's less powerful, but gains charges that multiply it's power as you are stationary, and those charges are lost one by one as you move.

Any close range melee build (that isn't flicker strike) could use it to some benefit, but so could many casters, especially those that channel. Even bow users that stop and move could consider it if the charges stack fast enough- perhaps the mana reservation could increase like some other auras, but gain the charges faster in trade. (hopefully starting with a lower mana res if so)
"
Any close range melee build (that isn't flicker strike) could use it to some benefit, but so could many casters, especially those that channel.

It works with Flicker Strike, because teleporting to attack doesn´t break stationary. You "move", but you are not "moving".
I have an anomalous arctic armor and a storm secret ring to take constant damage, but things aren't permafrozen around me.
Is that a bug, or am I missing something?
Patch notes only said it doesn't trigger from reflected damage anymore, but storm secret is not reflected. Or was it mentioned some later patch note it doesn't trigger from ALL self-damage?
artic armour is a nice skill, but it is weird that it isn't considered an aura imo. Could it potentially be changed to a sort of constant mana drain skill? Maybe have it chill enemies you hit while it's active like a sort of rightous fire but with mana? Idk I think it'd be cool if it constantly drained mana cause you'd be able to link it with blood magic and have a sort of polar opposite to rightous fire.
It works nicely with lacerate against bosses. Stack some good block, armor, and tukohama soul and you can tank a Shaper slam with 6.9k hp.
When are we getting a celestial arctic armor trail? The only mtx for this skill gem is a very outdated one from 2013. Since it now grants 'immunity to freeze', many players will be using this every league. I believe now is the most opportune time to give arctic armor a proper mtx.
Last edited by TheIronBankofBraavos on Aug 4, 2021, 3:47:42 AM
"
Wyrade wrote:
I have an anomalous arctic armor and a storm secret ring to take constant damage, but things aren't permafrozen around me.
Is that a bug, or am I missing something?
Patch notes only said it doesn't trigger from reflected damage anymore, but storm secret is not reflected. Or was it mentioned some later patch note it doesn't trigger from ALL self-damage?

storm secret makes you "take damage"

anamolous arctic armor freezes "when you get hit"

i guess its working as intended.
[Removed by Support]
Once a great skill, worthless since 2.0.
Even if it's had 0% mana reservation I'd still have a doubt if I even want to waste a socket or two on this useless in most cases (with very few specific exceptions) effect.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Aug 19, 2022, 10:30:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info