Belt unnerve enchant applicability

Hello,

Crunching some numbers in PoB (which I don't fully trust, btw), and came across something confusing.

My build uses spellcasting minnies, who also happen to crit a lot. I unnerve enemies through cursing them + Master of Fear.

There is a belt enchantment that reads "Hits against Enemies Unnerved by you have 50% increased Spell Critical Strike Chance".

Now that wording seems unambiguous to me. If I hit an enemy, curse and subsequently unnerve them, they have a straight up 50% increased chance to get critted by any source, correct? Meaning, my minions can crit them more often, right?
However when I put this enchant on a belt in PoB, it doesn't increase the DPS at all.

Is this just an oversight on PoB's end, me not configuring it right, or is there some caveat that makes it so the enchant only applies to damage I myself deal?

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate you laying some knowledge on me.
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2021, 10:18:55 AM
"
Brockavich wrote:

There is a belt enchantment that reads "Hits against Enemies Unnerved by you have 50% increased Spell Critical Strike Chance".

Keyword here is "Spell".

If this would apply to minions, then so would generic spell dmg on your tree but it doesnt.

If the keyword was "Allies" or "Minions" it would work tho
"
Orbaal wrote:
"
Brockavich wrote:

Keyword here is "Spell".

If this would apply to minions, then so would generic spell dmg on your tree but it doesnt.

If the keyword was "Allies" or "Minions" it would work tho

Minions do use spells and attacks, but they do not share your stats. Even if PoB is correct about this, your reasoning for it is not.

The distinction is between "enemies unnerved by you" and "50% increased spell critical strike chance against unnerved enemies". The latter clearly states this modifier as your stat, the former does not.

If this stat does not apply to minions, then it does not apply to them because the "hits" at the start of the modifier are implicitly "hits from your skills", and not because it specifies spell critical strike chance instead of global critical strike chance.

This case is niche enough that its implementation in PoB cannot be relied on. PoB might be correct, or it might be wrong.

Since the change to Controlled Destruction, I am unaware if there is a way to make minions have reduced critical strike chance. If there is, and you can get 100% reduced critical strike chance (not less like the current Controlled Destruction), then you could use Speaker's Wreath to prevent your minions from killing enemies and observe whether they inflict ailments with critical strikes if you unnerve the enemy (assuming you ensure their chance to inflict these ailments with non-critical strikes is 0% as well of course).
"

This case is niche enough that its implementation in PoB cannot be relied on. PoB might be correct, or it might be wrong.

Dont think so.
Its an enchantment like all the others and as such part of YOUR gear, therefore it shouldnt affect minions unless it says otherwise.

If it was like an aura, this would be different. But it doesnt state "nearby enemies" or anything like that.
"
Orbaal wrote:
"

Dont think so.
Its an enchantment like all the others and as such part of YOUR gear, therefore it shouldnt affect minions unless it says otherwise.

If it was like an aura, this would be different. But it doesnt state "nearby enemies" or anything like that.

It does not state "nearby enemies", it states "hits against enemies unnerved by you", which based on my understanding is still a modifier to the enemies, which minions could benefit from in theory.

The only reason it would not apply to minions is if this wording implies "hits from your skills", in which case totems, traps, mines, mirage whatevers and other entities using your skills would benefit from it, but minions and party members would not.

It does not clearly state "your hits" either.
"

The only reason it would not apply to minions is if this wording implies "hits from your skills", in which case totems, traps, mines, mirage whatevers and other entities using your skills would benefit from it, but minions and party members would not.

Correct. Just like any other piece of gear or notable on the tree thats not an aura or curse.

So I think its far more likely this enchantment follows the exact same rules and isnt an exception.
There isn't anything about that enchant that should prevent minions from benefiting from it, as it's no different from you applying shock, EE, or any number of other things to enemies. But it is indeed not reflected in PoB. I think it's either an oversight on PoB's part or maybe some limitation in how it deals with individual skills used by minions.

The other possibility is a fault with the enchant description itself. It may well be intended to only benefit spell hits from your skills, but it doesn't say that as it should.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Sep 18, 2021, 8:56:07 PM
Yeah, the wording implies it modifies your unnerve to have an extra effect, so it should work with minion hits. PoB isn't always right.
Украина в моём сердце
I see a lot of believable theories, but it sounds like the jury's out, ultimately.
It should apply to minions. The mod reads exactly the same as Assassin's Mark. If you Unnerve, then the enemy receives. Otherwide the increased crit chance buff would apply to you rather than being a mod on the enemy. This is most likely a PoB error and function as intended in game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info