[HLD] Clever Construction

"
This feels a little too powerful in PvP atm. A trapper can throw traps all over the place which you cant see and also cant damage for 5 seconds. They can force you into a corner and throw traps at your feet until your dead and you have no way of clearing their traps because traps can not be damaged for 5 seconds after being thrown.

It seems like there should be a down side like traps can not be damaged for 5 seconds after being thrown and also can not detonate for 5 seconds. On smaller maps a trapper can just throw traps all the way from their side of the map to yours back you into a corner and kill you. Theres no way for you to avoid their damage unless you kill them at range before they get to you. This makes trappers really weak against ranged characters and really strong against melee. Maybe we can give trappers something that helps them with ranged characters while making clever construction easier to deal with as a melee character.

Funny, think I've been saying this for 3 major patches 1.1-now. GGG should of been reading my posts and fixing the right shit, wouldn't be having the PvP frustrations you have now. I'm just suck ass MullaXul, what do I know. No stream, no guild, no voice, no pull.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Mulla you've got some sort of victim complex going on here. Please find a single post of mine where I say any of the things you've just wrote. If your so amazing why didn't you alpha test? Why are there no new threads from you now that the patch has dropped? You could simply make a singular thread to house all of your ideas and complaints and continue bumping it but you'd rather go into people's thread who agree with you and stink up the place with your whining. You took the time to write your QQ post... there wasn't anything constructive you could have added to my OP?
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
I'd agree on this thought about traps. As a casual, they've killed my desire to PvP.

Simply playing in the Sarn arena, a random guy and I were chasing one another. We were relatively evenly matched, so it was fun.

We both hit different flame traps from a third person and both died instantly; he was melee, I was a ranger. I had 3.5K hp, which IS a bit squishy, but to die *instantly* from an invisible fire trap when at 75% resistance was just a tad over the top. It wasn't even the burning; it was just the explosion. What good is mobility if I can't friggin' move out of it to survive, and can't see it to move around it?

So, I look up stuff on traps, since I've never played with a trapper build before. Oh, I can't even damage them for five seconds? The crap?

I can counter being frozen with an alpha's howl, and can counter poison/chaos damage with a few beefy +chaos resist unique items. I can counter melee/ranged with movement. I can, to a degree, counter puncture with lightning warp/blink arrow, and, of course, staunching potions.

How do I counter traps when I have zero opportunity to see them because they're placed when I'm nowhere around? Normally, I'd swap out some gear to counter them, but, well, I can't soak them up, I can't get easy overmax fire resistance and it sounds like I'd need north of 90% at my life, there's no item to see traps to avoid them, and I can't kill them for several seconds by just AoEing all over, so I'm bound to die anyway...so I guess it's time to join a different instance or give up?

Simply put, this instance killed my desire to PvP beyond getting Leo points. As a casual, this sort of nonsense needs to be able to be countered effectively, or I'm not going to even want to try to get into it.
IGN: Fiona_Falconstrike, Geldar_the_Barbarian, Natalie_Fellshadow
"
Mulla you've got some sort of victim complex going on here. Please find a single post of mine where I say any of the things you've just wrote. If your so amazing why didn't you alpha test? Why are there no new threads from you now that the patch has dropped? You could simply make a singular thread to house all of your ideas and complaints and continue bumping it but you'd rather go into people's thread who agree with you and stink up the place with your whining. You took the time to write your QQ post... there wasn't anything constructive you could have added to my OP?

Calm down lil guy. I wasn't invited to alpha, all of my posts regarding these things are from months to over a year ago addressing the same concerns people have now. They were ignored, I don't make new threads because its pointless. I've already written what needed to be written and it didn't make a difference then and I wont bother now. I just thought it was funny because months ago I wrote "when people start pvping more, they will write verbatim exactly what I have been forever"...here we are. That's all I was getting at and only thing I can think as to why my shit is ignored when I have many times conducted myself professionally, contrary to lately....was because I don't have a streamer nut hugger,big whiner guild of bads,pod cast pull or go out to the butt pillow conventions to hang out with my fellow poe players.

My 2cents on Clever Construction would be to reduce the invincibility time from 5seconds to 3. Its excessive at the moment but its a requirement for traps/mines to be viable in high end pvp. So you cant butcher this keystone, you just need to reduce its active time 2-3 seconds from 5 to 3 or maybe even 2. You just need to get the traps out, not have them instantly destroyed. After that traps are pretty much fine. People should know matches vs trappers/miners should be played within line of sight anyways to see anything they do. They should be aware of the fact they must have something to clean the floor to approach safely. 2-3Sec Clever Construction, things would be fine for both parties.
Last edited by MullaXul on Dec 27, 2014, 9:45:55 AM
if you remove clever construction then traps are fucking useless.
IGN:Hauntworld - ICU Omniscient PvP guild
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PvP Low life crit caster / Gear -->/1829851
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HLD PvP tournaments -->/1576295
I played a good 10 or so matches against Hege last night with my 1h character. I will say 1h characters have a much easier time dealing with traps than 2h mainly because of Whirling bladed vs Leap slam for movement. Anyways I got Rekt in all of our matches I either never killed him or got 1 kill at best in a round. He offered some suggestions which I tried out but ultimately the best thing a 1h melee character can do is throw bear traps in from of them everywhere they walk to set off other traps. A lot of our matches ended in a draw or me getting rekt in the first 20 seconds because I stepped somewhere wrong or got bear trapped in a corner and couldnt use WB to move fast enough.

One thing that could be interesting to try would be if traps could be damaged before they land with CC. So if someone is throwing traps at you you could spam cyclone or Molten strike to break them before they hit you but if your too slow and the trap lands you cant damage it for the duration of CC.

Heres the situation that made me think of this.

Your melee and you walk onto a bear trap because shit happens.... You get hit by something that chills you and also temp chains so now your really slow.... Your in a hallway that zig zags so movement with wb is going to take a while. Traps are flying at you which deal aoe damage so all the trap has to do is get close enough to go off and your going to get hit.

The above scenario sucks as melee you only have so many flasks to be able to escape something like this and even then once your hit with bear trap your stuck until it runs out using WB in a hallway is about as good as standing still. Add to this that traps deal a lot of damage 2-3 fire traps from hege will take out 10k es even running POF I even went so far as to equip ROTP with POF for 83 fire res and 7kes but the damage is still too much to survive 3 hits in a row.

"
hauntworld1 wrote:

Not a single person in this thread has asked for the removal of clever construction. Everyone has said it needs an adjustment. If you feel it needs no adjustment then please state why so we can get a good discussion on the topic going.

"
MullaXul wrote:

My 2cents on Clever Construction would be to reduce the invincibility time from 5seconds to 3. Its excessive at the moment but its a requirement for traps/mines to be viable in high end pvp. So you cant butcher this keystone, you just need to reduce its active time 2-3 seconds from 5 to 3 or maybe even 2. You just need to get the traps out, not have them instantly destroyed. After that traps are pretty much fine. People should know matches vs trappers/miners should be played within line of sight anyways to see anything they do. They should be aware of the fact they must have something to clean the floor to approach safely. 2-3Sec Clever Construction, things would be fine for both parties.

Agreed I think dropping CC down to 3 seconds just for PvP should be tested... 5 seconds immunity per trap in a match that only lasts 1:30 is a really long time.

Also there needs to be an animation when traps are destroyed. I was clearing traps with RoA last night even though I knew I hit the traps I couldnt see them break apart which made me question if I had actually hit them or not. Id run by the spot and wouldnt get hit so I knew I cleared the traps but having it be a guessing game isnt right. This was vs a puncture trapper not hege

"
InsaneWallaby wrote:
I'd agree on this thought about traps. As a casual, they've killed my desire to PvP.

Simply playing in the Sarn arena, a random guy and I were chasing one another. We were relatively evenly matched, so it was fun.

Yea that can definitely kill the fun in the arena when a couple of people are throwing traps all around and then hide in a corner getting free kills. Im not sure how to solve that problem though seems like anything you could do would make trappers usless in the arena.

As for giving something to trappers in exchange for tweaking CC MAYBE a flare type trap that would deploy something to intercept projectiles. Give it a good cool down so it cant be spammed and this would give trappers the ability to get in range to hit a bow character without getting instantly killed by puncture TS or EA.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Last edited by Dethklok on Dec 27, 2014, 3:14:54 PM
Some spent their passive into high weapon/physical Damage & Life
some spent their passive into spell damage / ES
Some spent their passive into traps/mines

traps got cool down/ and they can't damage you unless you fall on it
mines can be placed on the area where character stand

Clever construction is a must to make traps/mines work and the guy who take that node he spent his points for sure into traps/mines to make them work

I keep saying you can't counter every build in arena with melee/(or single build) make different builds and enjoy
"
I played a good 10 or so matches against Hege last night with my 1h character. I will say 1h characters have a much easier time dealing with traps than 2h mainly because of Whirling bladed vs Leap slam for movement. Anyways I got Rekt in all of our matches I either never killed him or got 1 kill at best in a round. He offered some suggestions which I tried out but ultimately the best thing a 1h melee character can do is throw bear traps in from of them everywhere they walk to set off other traps. A lot of our matches ended in a draw or me getting rekt in the first 20 seconds because I stepped somewhere wrong or got bear trapped in a corner and couldnt use WB to move fast enough.

One thing that could be interesting to try would be if traps could be damaged before they land with CC. So if someone is throwing traps at you you could spam cyclone or Molten strike to break them before they hit you but if your too slow and the trap lands you cant damage it for the duration of CC.

Heres the situation that made me think of this.

Your melee and you walk onto a bear trap because shit happens.... You get hit by something that chills you and also temp chains so now your really slow.... Your in a hallway that zig zags so movement with wb is going to take a while. Traps are flying at you which deal aoe damage so all the trap has to do is get close enough to go off and your going to get hit.

The above scenario sucks as melee you only have so many flasks to be able to escape something like this and even then once your hit with bear trap your stuck until it runs out using WB in a hallway is about as good as standing still. Add to this that traps deal a lot of damage 2-3 fire traps from hege will take out 10k es even running POF I even went so far as to equip ROTP with POF for 83 fire res and 7kes but the damage is still too much to survive 3 hits in a row.

"
hauntworld1 wrote:

Not a single person in this thread has asked for the removal of clever construction. Everyone has said it needs an adjustment. If you feel it needs no adjustment then please state why so we can get a good discussion on the topic going.

"
MullaXul wrote:

Agreed I think dropping CC down to 3 seconds just for PvP should be tested... 5 seconds immunity per trap in a match that only lasts 1:30 is a really long time.

Also there needs to be an animation when traps are destroyed. I was clearing traps with RoA last night even though I knew I hit the traps I couldnt see them break apart which made me question if I had actually hit them or not. Id run by the spot and wouldnt get hit so I knew I cleared the traps but having it be a guessing game isnt right. This was vs a puncture trapper not hege

"
InsaneWallaby wrote:

Yea that can definitely kill the fun in the arena when a couple of people are throwing traps all around and then hide in a corner getting free kills. Im not sure how to solve that problem though seems like anything you could do would make trappers usless in the arena.

As for giving something to trappers in exchange for tweaking CC MAYBE a flare type trap that would deploy something to intercept projectiles. Give it a good cool down so it cant be spammed and this would give trappers the ability to get in range to hit a bow character without getting instantly killed by puncture TS or EA.

Having herald of ash helps with the visual of destroying traps.
Spoiler
that somewhat unnecessary large quote

herald of thunder is great vs non clever construction traps but also repeatedly zaps the CC one untill it breaks them. If its not hitting anything around you it means you are safe.

It also zaps them mid air if they are non cc.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
andkamen wrote:
Spoiler
that somewhat unnecessary large quote

herald of thunder is great vs non clever construction traps but also repeatedly zaps the CC one untill it breaks them. If its not hitting anything around you it means you are safe.

It also zaps them mid air if they are non cc.

Herald of thunder procs if you kill a shocked enemy
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info