Lightning Golem Crescendo ♫ All Content / HC Focused / Not Casual-Friendly

Rundown of 3.0 changes that affect this build:

Spoiler
"
(ES nerf)

This is old news and has been discussed in various forums already. I've also already gone over how this build will respond. See the Passive Tree section in the guide.

"
Added Lightning Support now does 17.5% more damage at gem level 20.

This is a buff. :)

"
Innervate Support has been reworked. It now grants 20% chance to shock at all levels (up from 15). At level 1 of the gem, it grants 1-25 added Lightning damage to supported skills, up to 11-218 added Lightning damage at level 20, and grants Innervation for 4 seconds on slaying a shocked enemy with a supported skill. At level 1, the Innervation buff grants 1 to 17 added Lightning damage for 4 seconds, up to 8-145 added Lightning damage at level 20. Innervate now has a 130% Mana Cost multiplier.

Remains to be seen whether this will beat out Elemental Focus. Since it depends on the Shock effect, I doubt it. This build does lots of smaller hits rather than big hits that Shock thrives off of. Will test anyway as soon as I get a 20/20 gem to play with. Will also be interesting to see how Openarl incorporates the new mechanics into PoB.

"
Many unique monsters which were previously immune to Ailments have had their immunities removed, with the exception of Freeze. Notably, this includes several Beyond Demons, the Atziri Trio, Atziri herself, The Shaper and his Guardians, among others.

See above.

"
Map boss life has been adjusted. In general, map boss life has increased significantly, and most map boss encounters within the same tier will have similar total life pools The gap between the life of tier 15 map bosses and the tier 16 Guardians is much smaller. The life of the tier 16 Guardians remains unchanged.

Largely irrelevant. This build will continue to do well on bosses. I imagine they'll last an extra 2-5 seconds compared to before. (watch this come back to bite me later :P)

"
The Shaper now prevents players from opening portals while fighting him. Zana has 50% more life during the Shaper encounter. The grace period when re-entering the Shaper encounter mid-fight has been reduced to 3 seconds.

This is actually a really concerning change, as there will be no easy escape from Bullet Hell, which is the sketchiest part of the Shaper fight. I am doubtful this build can still do the "No Anima/Might" challenge deathlessly. Will try though and share results.

TL;DR
Defensively hurt by the ES nerf, but
- ES still viable
- Hybrid with Shav's and Presence will be the go-to if you have currency
- Hybrid with Esh's Visage if you don't
- If you're playing SC, it doesn't matter. All options end up having similar EHP numbers.

Offensively buffed by the increase in Added Lightning Damage
- some unexplored potential in the new Innervate as well

Overall, basically the same build.

Sidenote:
Tested my new +2 Skin of the Loyal earlier today. This might be the fastest summoner build vs. Shaper in the game currently.

⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Feb 23, 2018, 9:31:40 PM
On aother golem build almost similar to yours i see he uses a totem with lightning ballz instead of orb of storm..would that be a good or bad thing to make ?

There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Here are some of the main differences:

Totem
 + Duration: 8s
 - Can be killed before duration ends, causing you to recast more
 + Can act as meat shield/baiting skill
 + Good range/skill flexibility

Orb of Storms
 - Duration: 6s
 + Can't be killed off (one less worry when you're stuck in Shaper/Atziri's arena)
 + Works with Curse on Hit
 - Poor range

You might look at the above and think totem is the better choice, but the key for me is Curse on Hit. A totem user has to spend an extra gem slot(s) for Blasphemy or incorporate an extra click(s) into his/her routine. Orb of Storms will apply 2 curses and Elemental Equilibrium on a single, compact 4L with a single click.

One extra gem slot? One extra click? Seems like no big deal right? That one extra gem slot can be the difference between being able to use something like Vaal Haste or Vaal Lightning Trap or not. That one extra click is one more thing that can take away your focus on more important things (i.e. staying alive) during Shaper/Uber Atziri/Guardians. As far as I'm concerned, Orb wins on efficiency and flexibility, but if you prefer totems for EE and a separate setup for curses, that's fine too if that's your style.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Aug 7, 2017, 12:49:41 AM
Nice build. How to see you current tree for 3.0?
"
Nice build. How to see you current tree for 3.0?

Thanks :) Check the Passive Tree section. If you don't like POB, there's a regular tree link at the bottom of the "3.0" subsection.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Was wondering why did you initially chose elementalist over necromancer?

Necro seems like an obvious choice for golems as elementalist only gives one extra golem a bit of damage boost and elemental res for your minions, the rest is useless as far as I can see as you're not the main DPS. Necromancer on the other hand gives tons of minion damage ( PoB shows ~3k dps increase over ele if I understand that builder correct) resistance for your minions AND you, yes, with aura but surely it's not a problem to incorporate that in build and it makes gear choice more flexible.

Now I'm not bashing or criticizing, just trying to figure it out as I have a free respec and I'm on a crossroad between the obvious and familiar necromancer and not so obvious elementalist.

[edit] it's actually ~3k DPS increase with orb and ~5k with projectiles according to PoB calculator with your Hybrid Shav's build
Last edited by Rhogog on Aug 7, 2017, 11:10:13 AM
"
Rhogog wrote:
Was wondering why did you initially chose elementalist over necromancer?

(I don't take it as bashing at all. On the contrary, I appreciate the question/interest :)

Necro starts off with more damage. However, Elementalist can actually surpass Necro damage (including Ascendancy bonuses) with enough Harmony stacked (thanks to the extra golem). This is even more true now that Necro's per-aura bonus got nerfed.

There's a common misconception that the elemental immunity is only good for cheesing Shaper. I would argue the immunity is actually far more significant not because you can kill while dead, but because it makes it easier for you to kill and stay alive. It allows you to focus more on your own survival and/or more golem damage. While a Necro is certainly more than capable of keeping their golems alive versus Shaper/Uber Atziri, he/she will often spend more resources (passive points, gem slots, tactical considerations) to protect their golems because the key endgame fights do absurd amounts of damage, particularly elemental. While the elemental immunity certainly isn't the be all and end all, it provides enough value to make it worth it despite the lack of utility from the other Ascendancy nodes.

That said, the damage from both types are quite close. Despite what you may hear or read elsewhere, neither is egregiously superior to the other, which makes sense since Necro is the master of minions, while Ele is the master of elements. It's fitting that they reach similar power levels when it comes to minions of the elements.

⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Aug 7, 2017, 1:40:17 PM
tomatopotato

Do you mind sharing you characters on the forum for us to view?

Or would you rather not ?
"
DTBA wrote:
tomatopotato

Do you mind sharing you characters on the forum for us to view?

Or would you rather not ?

Opened. Sorry if it's not very helpful though. I wasn't able to play much over the weekend, so my current character (TomatoAndPets) isn't geared up yet and my testing characters haven't been respecced yet. Let me know if you have any other questions.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Aug 7, 2017, 1:31:36 PM
i seem to be having a problem displaying the passive tree, just to confirm.. i should just paste the code to https://poebuilder.com ??

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info