[Bricked] Odif's Build Guides for Newbies: Skeleton Mage Necro

"
dscamelot wrote:
Hi, i need some advice for the build because i'm new to the game. In yout guide you tell we need more minion gear, how can i craft them? And how can i craft items with 4+ soket like u tell in the guide? Can u explain pls?

Ok, assuming you are VERY new...

4 links start dropping in act 3, dont worry about them before that.

IF a 4 link drops with the right colors, you can use it.
If it drops with the wrong colors, BUT has the right base (armor/es hybrid for melee skels), you can use chroms to get the colors you want. Be careful, you can use a lot of chomes this way with bad luck.

OR

You can use a BINDING orb.
Binding orbs can drop as early as act 2, but are rare before act 4.
Binding orbs will force an item to be 4 link. Make sure you use them on the right base type (hybrid armor/es for melee skels)

You can go a LONG ways with just a 3 link, so dont worry if it takes a while to get a 4 link.

Remember...for the skels...links matter more than anything...putting your skels in a 4 link that has NO usefull mods on it, is still worth it.

EDIT
Opse, forgot to address your "minion gear" question.
In act 2, after you are level 15, the vendor can sell minion wands...you can buy a white wand and throw an essence on them. Vendors refresh every time you level up.

In act 3, after a certain level (i for get what it is) minion rings can be bought at the vendors. Again, buy white ones, and throw essences on them.

Minion shields can be sold in act 2 after level 15, but they show up so rarely, its hardly worth checking the vendor. You just have to watch the ground and pick one up and throw and essence on it.

Remember, only items that have a minion implicit, can roll minion mods.
Last edited by Odif on Aug 10, 2023, 11:59:35 PM
"
11206321 wrote:
"
zaferongun wrote:
Hi Odif,
i'm wondering why you're not using Fleshcrafter in this build.

im using fleshcrafter with this build, just care about not going minion life and chaos resistance nodes on the skilltree and youre fine. got huge bonus to dmg with removing ele pen support and adding ele focus support instead :)

Yes, fleshcrafter is good.

I choose to go a simpler, CHEAPER route, to make things as easy as possible for newbies.

Its far too common for a new player to lose their AG gear due to too much chaos resist on the AG when using fleshcrafter.
Ok, the guide is updated for 3.22, except for PoB links which are waiting on PoB being updated.

I did modify the 3.21 PoB links to try and estimate how much dps the new returning projectile support would give. (Significantly less than the old anomalous faster projectile provided, which was nerfed to uselessness.)

Using this estimate, the geared level 95 PoB shows 6.8 mill dps when Vaal Skels are up, plenty for all t16 content.

This does not include tattoos, which I believe will up the dps considerably.

I believe the build will be just as good as last league when geared, AND do more damage early, as the new returning projectile support is available from vendors, no need to buy an expensive anomalous faster projectile support, which while giving more damage, was expensive enough that it was not usually obtained until late game.

The build SHOULD be good at the 3.22 league mechanic, as it seems to be a "stay in place" sort of mechanic, which skel mages are very good at.

I have added a new section to the guide, about league mechanics.

I will update the PoB once PoB is updated.
I will update the new league mechanic section once more is known about it.

Good luck to you all. May divines rain down on you as you play.
I would Like to thank you again, for your work Odif.

For several leagues i follow this Thread/Guide and it's extremly helpful.
I did skele mages many leagues ago, and wanting to come back. Three questions:

1. What would you say is the budget to get to ~5 milion dps on this build? 10-20 divines?
2. In the past, the cluster jewel which gave mages immortality for a few seconds was a must, otherwise they die too fast. Did anything change so this cluster is not required anymore?
3. What do you think about incorporating the Fresh Meat support gem and going crit route?
Last edited by Kaevar on Aug 15, 2023, 5:56:14 AM
"
Kaevar wrote:
I did skele mages many leagues ago, and wanting to come back. Three questions:

1. What would you say is the budget to get to ~5 milion dps on this build? 10-20 divines?
2. In the past, the cluster jewel which gave mages immortality for a few seconds was a must, otherwise they die too fast. Did anything change so this cluster is not required anymore?
3. What do you think about incorporating the Fresh Meat support gem and going crit route?

1) Less than 5 divines, i think. If you look at the PoB i have for the skel mages that does 6.8 mill dps, there are NO expensive items in it.

2) My build depends on the mastery that heals minions for 5% of their lives every time a minion dies. Summoning new skels, and over writing old ones counts as minion death. THis is how we keep minions alive. When we see minions taking damage, each cast of skels puts out 8 skels, thats a 40% heal.
That Cluster jewel is only necessary if you are trying to do ubers or some other super high end content, that my guide is not designed for. T16 mapping and getting 4 voidstones is what my guide is for.

3)A lot of our damage comes from Vaal Summon Skel, and 3.9 seconds of high crit is weak for the Vaal Skels.
Glad to see you make Newbies build again Odif, it was helping me a lot when I first time join POE last year. I feel like I'm out of the newbie zone in the previous league since I made two mirrors in one month xD, but I remember how hard when I just started, and your build really helps. Just want to say thanks to you! you are doing a great job!
Hey Odif, what do you think about the new gems - Guardian's Blessing and Fresh Meat? Can they replace other gems in the build, perhaps?
Last edited by Fripp on Aug 18, 2023, 11:39:36 AM
"
Fripp wrote:
Hey Odif, what do you think about the new gems - Guardian's Blessing and Fresh Meat? Can they replace other gems in the build, perhaps?

No

We are very socket starved.
But if we use super duper expensive gear on the AG, we could sustain it with guardians blessing. Not sure what we would drop to make room for it tho.

As far as Fresh Meat...going full crit is possible, but since so much of our dps is from the Vaal Skels....4 seconds of high crit is not enough for them.
"
Slymal wrote:
Glad to see you make Newbies build again Odif, it was helping me a lot when I first time join POE last year. I feel like I'm out of the newbie zone in the previous league since I made two mirrors in one month xD, but I remember how hard when I just started, and your build really helps. Just want to say thanks to you! you are doing a great job!

Thanks for the positive feedback.
(I have never made 2 mirrors in a league, you doing better than me!)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info