Optimizing PoE performance with multicore CPU?

Hello,
i was wondering a lot latly why my poe is kinda lagging by loading new areas or loading the game itself. my pc setup is close to the high end tier:
i7 3770k @ 4ghz
16gb ram
amd 7970 vapor-x OC
ssd

so i was monitoring my ressources a bit...
- gpu load was fine
- ram usage was really low
- cpu usage 70%load at cpu0, cp1-7 was idle.

PathOfExileSteam.exe is using all available cores. (windowmode)(it's 32bit client started via steam)

so i just tested it by removing cores from the process.
currently iam running it on my 4 logical cores cpu5-7 and the performance is way better for me!
lagspikes became really rare. (ofc sometimes there are still lags because of crazy actions ingame, like 6ppl party @ villa map with coc + codt etc)

Windows is always starting applications with all cores set. since it's really annoying to removes cores while running the game allready there is some cmd-command to start the application with a fixed set of cores.

If you are running steam:
The core setting of steam will make u run PoE with the same amount of cores.
Here we need to start only steam client with fixed core set.

If u running PoE stand-alone:
Here you only need to run the "game".exe with a fixed core set.

How do i change the core set for applicatios @ startup?
1) Create a .txt file. (save it where you like to do)
2) Edit it: start /affinity F <path of "game"/steam.exe>
e.g my settings are: start /affinity f0 "D:\Games\Steam\steam.exe"
F=the core settings can be found here:
Spoiler
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/santhoshonline/archive/2011/11/24/how-to-launch-a-process-with-cpu-affinity-set.aspx

3) Change .txt into .bat
4) Run the .bat file. (you can create a shortcut for that file and use it as game.lnk)
The game/steam should start now with the number of cores u have set.

Why do i post this?
well it helped me and my gaming experience a lot, so i'd like to share how i got there, and maybe peapole can confirm it, otherwise iam just lucky :)

Any questions or if u need help about setting up the core set, just post and i'll try to help you.
Please give me any kind of feedback if changing the cores helped you aswell, as i did for me.
and excuse my bad english :D
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
Last edited by Doe on Feb 8, 2014, 1:46:26 AM
Friendly Bump:)
"
sejwaldevansh wrote:
Friendly Bump:)

hey mate, did u try it out?

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
My client seems to already use all available cores, so I'm not sure why yours isn't defaulted to do so as well. It might just be that PoE doesn't really like HT and gets confused :P
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
"
linkstatic wrote:
My client seems to already use all available cores, so I'm not sure why yours isn't defaulted to do so as well. It might just be that PoE doesn't really like HT and gets confused :P

it's OS (windows) basic config to use all cores if u run an application.
the script iam using changes the core set at startup of my poe/steam, because i dont wanna let it use all my cores.

cpu0 is used by all services and programs running on your computer, that's why i tried it out playing poe while using differnt core than cpu0.

after changing the cpu set i realized a performance boost ingame. my first script describes how i did it.
using all 8 cores by default was more laggy for me than it is now.

Last edited by Doe on Jul 1, 2016, 7:34:13 AM
"
poe is 32bit so it will only use 1 core...

Wrong. 32bit-ness has NOTHING to do with ability to use multiple CPU cores. It is a popular misinformation though.
"
aldorus wrote:
"
poe is 32bit so it will only use 1 core...

Wrong. 32bit-ness has NOTHING to do with ability to use multiple CPU cores. It is a popular misinformation though.

ye you are right, how i wrote it is not correct. it uses all available core to store data. max 3gb of ram. that's actually why iam using 4 cores for poe and not just one :P
my cpu load while playing is still heavy on just 1 core, the others are idle, that's what i wanted to say in the post before.

Use a ssd.
"
Splift wrote:
Use a ssd.

i do ;)
samsung 840 pro

has any tested it aswell now? (removing the load from cpu0)

Alternatively you can put this in your target line.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start “(Name of Application).exe” /affinity (Affinity Number) “(Path to the exe file)”
<3 Free Tibet <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info