Optimizing PoE performance with multicore CPU?

imho the only reason to restrict multithreaded applications to some cores is if you don't like them to consume resources (like virus scanners). taking cores away from apps should just slow them down.
"
Opinionated wrote:
Alternatively you can put this in your target line.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start “(Name of Application).exe” /affinity (Affinity Number) “(Path to the exe file)”

that's exactly what i wrote in my first post^^
"
cronus wrote:
imho the only reason to restrict multithreaded applications to some cores is if you don't like them to consume resources (like virus scanners). taking cores away from apps should just slow them down.

well cpu0 shouldnt been used here. atleast at my computer since it is way faster if i skip my physical cores (or just cpu0, havnt tested all combinations).
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
it's also possible to add /high in frot of /affinity to run it with high priority.
again a little performance boost =)

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
i5 2500K fo' life. Screw HT

As for using an SSD, well, why not go one step further? Super-easy ramdisk guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/593828
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
"
Zedda wrote:
i5 2500K fo' life. Screw HT

As for using an SSD, well, why not go one step further? Super-easy ramdisk guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/593828

i disabled HT just for a try and gone @5k doesnt really change much :P
had also a 2.5k before performance was equal.
ye ramdisk might be the last stance if u got slow hdd but massiv amounts of ram.

iam fine now and no lags so noneed to ramdisk here, but good point for players that still have to deal with superlags =)

since i got a asrock board i gonna try to optimize it with xfastram. will post results.

Last edited by Doe on Feb 17, 2014, 10:16:04 AM
Will try this out, thanks.

"
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/santhoshonline/archive/2011/11/24/how-to-launch-a-process-with-cpu-affinity-set.aspx

Your thread (and the link) are a bit arcane. Even as a programmer, it took me a while to figure out that you were using 240 (decimal), i.e. F0 (hexadecimal), which means, as you stated, CPU4 + CPU5 + CPU6 + CPU7. Here's a useful companion link to this thread and the linked blog: decimal to hex converter.

1* Sum up the "Associated values" of the CPUs you want to use from the blog link
2* Enter the resulting Decimal value in the linked Converter
3* Use the equivalent Hexadecimal value as your affinity value.

However, that was just the beginning of my troubles. There appear to be syntax issues with your version, at the very least on some systems (Windows 7?) Reading the syntax of the start command and many threads about it, your version shouldn't work. It might be because on my system i have long filenames.

Your version of:

start /affinity f0 "D:\Games\Steam\steam.exe"

Should actually be:

start "" /affinity f0 /d "D:\Games\Steam" "D:\Games\Steam\steam.exe"

"
Opinionated wrote:
Alternatively you can put this in your target line.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c start “(Name of Application).exe” /affinity (Affinity Number) “(Path to the exe file)”

This opened my eyes because i didn't want a batch file, but rather to add the command to my autohotkey macro file. Yours has syntax issues on my system as well though.

"
it's also possible to add /high in front of /affinity to run it with high priority.

Oh very, very nice! This will save me the constant hassle of manually setting PoE to high priority.

All the effort above resulted in the following change to one line in my macro file. Old, simple version:

Run PathOfExile.exe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile

New, CPU 5-7 affinity, high process priority version:

Run cmd.exe /c start "" /high /affinity F0 /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe"
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on Mar 10, 2014, 6:44:32 AM
tagging for use after work
"
unsane wrote:
cmd.exe /c start "" /high /affinity X /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe"[/b]

i've used this on my shortcut line then checked the Win7 Tasklist and this opens two PathOfexile.exe process one is running with one core and the second running all cores. why this happened?
Basically the Original Poster is limiting the game to use one Logical Processor per Physical Core instead of 2 Logical Processors Per Core (Effectively preventing it benefiting from Intel Hyperthreading).

This approach (As well as simply disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS) can yield performance improvements and/or consistency improvements for some programs but at the expense of multi-tasking performance.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 5, 2015, 10:37:25 AM
I use a software that's called Process Lasso, that can set any individual process affinity,priority and power profile. It also allows you to check and disabled "parked" cpus or turn off cpus at idle/low pc usage.Pretty much control all aspects of cpu/power and ram. Since it saves affinity settings per process, dont need to disable hyperthreading from bios and loose those benefits.

It's a paid software but i think the free version does this.

I have the paid version, its lifetime 2 license purchase it has made my fps super stable,no longer I have those random fps drops, and can actually play in parties. (Also have SSD,so it wasnt an SSD problem)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info