Despair

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Dec 18, 2023, 2:50:15 AM
whats the point of having chaos penetration if damage over time is not affected by penetration?

remove chaos pen .... "Cursed enemies take (20-40)% increased Damage from Damage over Time effects"

add: "while under the effects of despair, damage over time can penetrate resistance."
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Jun 15, 2018, 2:41:11 AM
"
leighferon wrote:
whats the point of having chaos penetration if damage over time is not affected by penetration?

Where are you seeing Chaos penetration? To my knowledge this modifier is not available anywhere in the game.

"Enemies have -X% to Chaos Resistance" and "Enemies take X% increased (type) Damage" are not penetration. They are different modifiers that work in different ways. One of the differences is that they both apply to Damage over Time.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 15, 2018, 6:00:16 PM
Strange.....

When the Despair gem is in my stash it is coloured _Red_

When I pick it up it can only be put in _Blue_ coloured slots

If I put it in a Blue slot it turns _Blue_ coloured

So... should it change between a Red or Blue coloured gem?

Presumably this is just a simple graphic fix!

Thanks
Context
Spoiler

The 3.2 changes just dropped

I can see a whole bunch of reasons the team would decide to change Despair the way they did, I truly get it but.... I feel like these Despair changes were made because of certain "problematic" builds, and Chaos DoT and Occultist specifically got caught in the crosshair, and were the ones that got shot INSTEAD OF the problems....

To be fair, the estimated top end 70% Chaos DoT nerf is from many changes in 3.2, but in the end Despair is the largest piece by far, it boils down to the change:
"
Removed
Cursed enemies take 35% increased Damage from Damage Over Time effects

The recent Despair changes destroyed a bunch on non-meta, unstrong, totally not deserving of a nerf, builds, because of one mod taken away. In a patch which sees so many stronger builds buffed, I have to question the Despair changes, as they cause one of the biggest nerfs to Chaos DoT in PoE history.

Even against bosses, Chaos DoT overall still loses AT LEAST 30% DPS. Sure, there's an extra ~-20% chaos res from the changes as well, but that is NOWHERE NEAR a ~40% take multiplier, especially if I'm already dropping enemy chaos res to below zero. The net result is still a loss.

By the way, Bane isn't the only Chaos DoT build, and if your argument hinges on Bane alone, you've already lost by limiting the scope to one specific outlier case, and even worse, Bane can be target nerfed. So if that was the justification, why the nerf to the whole suite of Chaos DoT builds

I ALWAYS try and offer a solution so here it is...

Solution
Spoiler

Despair needs it's identity to be separated from other build archetypes to more specifically apply, so in the future we can more finely tune balance changes.
What Despair should do:
Reduce monster chaos res
Increase monster CHAOS damage taken over time

That way, despair won't place other non-chaos builds in the crosshairs if it ever deserves changes in the future. You can do whatever you need with curse effect and the quality, I'd recommend things with duration.
Similarly the magnitude of -res and DoT taken reduced to levels in line with the other gems' nerfs with consideration to the boss nerfs
This of course may necessitate Chaos DoT skill buffs which aren't named Bane.
If other resistance lowering curse add a chance to inflict associated ailment then why despair doesn't add poison chance?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info