*** FIX *** LAG SPIKE / FPS SPIKE / STUTTER - WIN 10

Hello,

*Note - this may not work for everyone.

As we all know there have been recent and historic difficulties experienced by the majority when it comes to playing this game. A lot of the "fixes" mentioned about the place - lowering settings, editing the config.ini, updating drivers, etc have been an absolute waste of time and resources.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the issue potentially has nothing to do with your ISP, nothing to do with your internet connection, and nothing to do with most specs of your machine.

The potential problem is the damned hardware timer incorporated in the chipset. (This is why no-one likes AMD!) Well, damnit! This was the problem for me!
I've now played over 16 hours straight without one little stutter, freeze-induced FPS/latency spike or moment of frustration.

How to implement this fix:

-Run cmd as administrator
-type: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
-hit enter and await successful acknowledgement
-type: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
-type: bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced (this one isn't required, but may help some people)
-close cmd, open POE, enjoy calm smooth gaming.

I'm sharing this information in hope that this works for others as it has me.

Good luck.

*EDIT - Removed duplicate d from "bcdedit /set disableddynamictick yes"

*UPDATE - This still seems to be the best fix for me so far. I've had the best experience with POE since doing this. Still no spikes or stutters causing deaths in HC.

Glad it has helped some people as well. :):)
Last edited by onedownfiveup on Aug 1, 2019, 5:59:57 AM
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2024, 11:31:58 AM
Is this an AMD only thing?
i use amd, i don't lag.

disableddynamictick has nothing to do with what hardware you are running, it's a windows thing (as in it would effect both amd and intel)

useplatformclock, co developed by microsoft and intel (i.e intel had this problem, the fix is now universal)

tscsyncpolicy, same deal as above

none of these will stop latency or packet loss from occurring, none of these are likely to fix asset loading stutter (loading from hard drive to ram on the fly)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jul 24, 2019, 2:12:09 PM
They work on intel and amd. But they should not help if you have windows 7/8/10.

disableddynamictick yes :

Dynamic Ticks are a feature that lets windows stop the system timer when nothing is happening in order to conserve power.

useplatformclock TRUE:
This enables the HPET (High Precision Event Timer), a hardware timer available on many motherboards. It it disabled by default on windows, because it *could* add latency (CPU is faster).

tscsyncpolicy enhanced:

*From the microsoft documentation"
Controls the times stamp counter synchronization policy. This option should only be used for debugging (option available starting in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012)

Of course, you can try those commands and see for yourself :)

If you want to go back, use this :
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy
bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick

Last edited by MrVaad on Jul 24, 2019, 3:03:02 PM
I second this.

I was at my wits end with this game and ready to uninstall and go back to D2 for my RNG grind fix. I have tried every fix i could find on the forums and google, but nothing had helped.

I have not had any stuttering or latency/fps freezes since running these commands.

Thanks for sharing
"
Alariele wrote:
I second this.

I was at my wits end with this game and ready to uninstall and go back to D2 for my RNG grind fix. I have tried every fix i could find on the forums and google, but nothing had helped.

I have not had any stuttering or latency/fps freezes since running these commands.

Thanks for sharing

Great news ! Can you tell us what hardware and windows you are using ?
I'd be interested since those settings should not improve performance on most hardware.

These settings can have an influence on an application IF this application uses some specific functions to manage timers.

See here for technical details :)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/sysinfo/acquiring-high-resolution-time-stamps

Also, onedownfiveup, you can remove your text about AMD, HPET has been available on intel/amd motherboards since 2005.
Last edited by MrVaad on Jul 25, 2019, 2:30:19 AM
"
onedownfiveup wrote:
Hello,

As we all know there have been recent and historic difficulties experienced by the majority when it comes to playing this game. A lot of the "fixes" mentioned about the place - lowering settings, editing the config.ini, updating drivers, etc have been an absolute waste of time and resources.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the issue potentially has nothing to do with your ISP, nothing to do with your internet connection, and nothing to do with most specs of your machine.

The potential problem is the damned hardware timer incorporated in the chipset. (This is why no-one likes AMD!) Well, damnit! This was the problem for me!
I've now played over 16 hours straight without one little stutter, freeze-induced FPS/latency spike or moment of frustration.

How to implement this fix:

-Run cmd as administrator
-type: bcdedit /set disableddynamictick yes
-type: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
-type: bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced (this one isn't required, but may help some people)
-close cmd, open POE, enjoy calm smooth gaming.

Good luck.

I just got this back after using bcdedit /set disableddynamictick yes with admin

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit /set disableddynamictick yes
The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the
specified entry.
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
Element not found.

edit:never mind got it to run.
Last edited by JesusBigDick on Jul 25, 2019, 11:44:09 AM
How did you get it to run? I have the same issue and response as yours but cannot get it ro run
Last edited by AShugars on Jul 25, 2019, 2:57:55 PM
there is mistake, should be: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
"
onedownfiveup wrote:
Hello,

Good luck.

I have to thank you. This worked perfectly for me. I've been playing with the lag for as long as I can remember. I'd gotten used it. Almost everything caused
lag spikes.

It now works so well it's an entirely new experience, I actually have to get
used to how smooth it is.

Thanks again!

Edit:
Oh and as someone else pointed out, there is a little typo in the first
text "bcdedit /set disableddynamictick yes" should be "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes"
Last edited by Grimra on Jul 25, 2019, 8:25:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info