Our Senior Narrative Designer, Matt, has taken a moment to reflect on writing for Necropolis League. Here are his thoughts.

Many have noticed that the lore of Necropolis league is a bit different. I always try to do something different or experimental with each new addition, and this time, when faced with the art for an old undertaker, I asked the question, "What if this guy doesn't want to tell you what he's up to?"

Almost immediately, his personality came into focus. Compared to the last few leagues, where the Karui or the Maji had a spotlight and it was a rare opportunity to deep dive into those cultures, here we encounter a man who is intentionally very cagey and evasive. He even catches himself when he starts to monologue, and cuts himself off. At other times, if he realizes he's accidentally said a little too much, he rambles and diverts. 'Zoomy' players are his best friends. He actually prefers you just keep killing and don't ask questions.

And yet, if you're really perceptive or dedicated, you can start to piece together some idea of what he's doing, who he is loyal to, and where he might fit in the world of Wraeclast. This kind of subversion was quite fun to write—especially the easter eggs—but I'll take a cue from Arimor and remain cryptic on this one. I do have to give a shoutout to our amazing voice actor, Cameron Rhodes, who brought Undertaker Arimor to life—no pun intended. Arimor's voice and mannerisms feel right out of classic horror films, perfect for a man who hangs around in a graveyard doing nefarious things. Just like the Undertaker himself, I'll leave the rest up to your imagination.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info