Concerns from a lab lover

Dat feel when snorkle of all people calls something too grindy...

Dayum.

But yeah, I do agree, this feels way too rng gated, easily on the level of getting a t4 unique talisman, maybe even worse, considering even getting to the uber lab takes rng. Sometimes I feel GGG take it too far.

Even for normal lab, I don't ever run beyond getting the points, because it's way too much rng for someone with my limited playtime. And I don't even hate the lab, I really like it in fact. Sure, if you're speedrunning to get enchants to sell, then it's profitable, but when your lvl 100 friend tells you that he hasn't gotten the EQ duration one after multiple hundred runs, that's pretty demoralizing.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Last edited by Etherfire on May 25, 2016, 3:36:23 AM
I don't know enough about the upcoming high tier labyrinth to comment on issue 1 OP but you make a good point of it being stupid if these trails/labs only occur in low tier maps - the crap I tend to skip or fast track through because I've farmed Dried Lake and traded to power far beyond low tier maps.

As for issue 2 I've run a couple hundred Merciless labs this past week trying to get either flame totem damage or the extra FT projectile helm enchant on my lvl.100 and haven't gotten either.... yeah just demotivates me to continue playing.

I dislike the lab in the first place but figured what else is there for me to do on my lvl.100 but continue trying to improve my gear and min/max. There aren't many options on the trade table atm for either enchant so I've just had to keep at it and hope my 1 in 361 appears. Kinda glad it hasn't appeared now that I hear I'll have to do the same thing in a higher level labyrinth anyway.

I sense - NAY I PROPHECISE another very delayed response from GGG on this issue despite the problem being glaringly obvious and in need of changing. Maybe Post-Prophecy there will be a bigger outcry about helm enchants as in higher tier labs to get the best roll for the helm enchant you want it'll be 1 in 722 instead (This is my assumption based on if the Merciless helm enchants (lvl66) get bundled into the higher tier merciless lab (lvl75) helm enchant outcome possibilities - this already happens for boot/glove enchants so it's fair to assume it'll happen for helm enchants too). Fun fun - NOT!

Source for helm enchant chances: http://omegak2.net/poe/enchantments.html
"The key to winning any fight is simply staying alive."
Last edited by WARPAINTER on May 25, 2016, 3:46:37 AM
Im a major labyrinth fan and i find myself in agreement somewhat.

Heres my problems.

1 - Enchants are currently fine as is in the normal labyrinth, but having the ilvl 75 enchants being an addition separate amount of RNG does not cut it with me. My speculation way back is that it would simply be an upgrade booth, that would make the most sense. Why ? Because people would have even more incentive to run normal labyrinth and even more incentive to run the higher labyrinth for upgrading. The even bigger problem here is it isnt chainable. If it were chainable i might be okay with it, but its not. We also dont know how much stronger and dangerous it will be in there.

People will more than likely just do the normal Labyrinth for their enchant and even bother trying for helmet enchants in the ilvl 75 version. Its simply not worth it in 90% of the cases, the only time youd want it is for the additional projectile or reserve enchants, outside of those the amount of power difference probably isnt high enough to warrant the min-maxing

2 - As said above, it isnt chainable, you have to find "fragments" for it. While i understand its high level content with alot of potential profit, it seems entirely unfeasible that people will run it for more than their Boot and Gloves enchant, and Ascendancy points.

The problem however with my upgrade booth suggestion is that some of the enchants are just significantly stronger and do warrant the extra rng, but alot of them do not. I find myself split on that because things like +3 multiple projectiles is essentially the equivalent to 3 times more damage, reserve and curse effectiveness are pretty fucking huge too.

However alot of things are simply increased damage, not more like what you would get with these other enchants.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on May 25, 2016, 4:00:08 AM
"
Diphal wrote:
Issue n. 1. I hope it is just some kind of typo. Chris in podcast sounded more like these trials will be available from mid tier and higher. If I'm not mistaken he explicitly said that because of this you wont need to run ONLY high level maps. This sounded way more reasonable then having trials being only in low to mid tier...

Issue n2 2. At least they could provide us with option to decide if you either want to accept new enchant or keep previous one... this would eliminate situations when u have kinda okay enchant (but still not the one you want) and u get useless crap instead.

I mean, if theyre not in red tier maps then fine by me I guess, most of the time Im running yellows anyway, i dont buy maps so theres absolutely no way to sustain reds without mass farming yellows.

and I like that, I actually like that, working as intended, being appreciated as intended. Its worth me rolling a yellow map so I get more drops, I still get some xps, sometimes I even get scared by mob damage levels. Awesome, I enjoy it. I should probably edit the original post to make it clear this is theoretical ranting on IF its only white maps, its a concern, but I think GGG will get it, they know how little we know of the details. It wouldnt surprise me if they are being vague because they actually havent decided yet themselves.

Ya for sure, overwrite or not, that would be a fix. More op would be showing us the enchant and letting us chose the item we want it on, or not as the case may be. Still fine, thats a fix. Have a little weighting towards any socketed gem in the item. Giving us 3 enchant options and letting us chose which one we get. Theres many ways.

I dont want it to be easy, I want it to keep me motivated to keep going. Right now though I feel like I could spend 100s upon 100s of hours doing this, for years, and still not even get half the hats done for my existing characters, and by done I mean hit anything meaningful that relates to any number of skills they use, never mind all the new characters I make over those years or every time I switch which skills I use on a single build. I dont know how many characters I will roll between getting a sucessful hat enchant, because I have never got one. I think right now we are looking at about 7 characters rolled and played through endgame in the time it took to still not get a single hat enchant that was even vaguely useful. Im not getting the feeling that if I spend 2 or 3x more hours on this that its going to suddenly become worth my time and Im going to get somewhere. Its telling me the opposite, that any amount of time spent doing this is completely wasted.

they might be thinking this is not intended to be the motivation to run it on a day by day basis, this is intended to be a mad gamble that you get a shot at each time. Ok so whats the motivation? Right now it doesnt exist for the merciless one, only time will tell if the hoop jumping + running these endgame labs is going to actually feel like theres a point to it outside of the hat enchants, that the total time invested = something equiv to that time spent running meaningful maps.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
It wouldnt surprise me if they are being vague because they actually havent decided yet themselves.
Being vague would be saying something like: "trials can be found in maps". Saying maps will be found in low level maps is pretty much exact definiton.
"
"They all occur in lower maps"

It is pretty obvious to me that they are just reassuring us that they will occur in low-level maps *too*, not just higher level maps.

Occurring in low level maps doesn't stop them occurring in higher level maps too. "I went to school today" doesn't mean you never went to school on any other day.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
issue 1 "They all occur in lower maps"

poe.trade
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
issue 2 "the hat grind"

poe.trade

/thread. :)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
"They all occur in lower maps"

It is pretty obvious to me that they are just reassuring us that they will occur in low-level maps *too*, not just higher level maps.

Occurring in low level maps doesn't stop them occurring in higher level maps too. "I went to school today" doesn't mean you never went to school on any other day.

Tell that to a programmer.
Like with pretty much everything else in PoE it's all balanced around trading. You want a certain enchant? Buy it. You want trial items for the high end lab? Buy it. Etc.

Not sure why you would think this part of the game suddenly can be done reliably solo.
"
Miská wrote:
Like with pretty much everything else in PoE it's all balanced around trading. You want a certain enchant? Buy it. You want trial items for the high end lab? Buy it. Etc.

Not sure why you would think this part of the game suddenly can be done reliably solo.

Too bad there is not a single Scold's Bridle for sale with with the enchant I want...
Last edited by Diphal on May 25, 2016, 6:15:17 AM
"
Diphal wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

Too bad there is not a single Scold's Bridle for sale with with the enchant I want...

Not everything is supposed to be easy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info