ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
Khoranth wrote:

Trump literally called out the people managing the forests. You keep repeating the lie that he blamed the California government.

If he wasn't referring to California government mismanagement then why would he threaten to withhold funds to the California government to fight the fire? What, you think he was saying that since the Federal Gov messed up, California should suffer? If he really meant that, that's even worse.
"
Khoranth wrote:

Trump literally called out the people managing the forests. You keep repeating the lie that he blamed the California government. Classic TDS, driving you to repeat a lie.

Also plenty of information has been given in this thread that demonstrates that management played a role in the forest fires, yet you continue to ignore that factual data and repeat a lie that management played no role in the forest fires. Again, typical TDS on display.

[Removed by Support]

"Played a role", that's totally ignoring the Trump lie. Trump said explicitly that "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor"

Now you seem to be mistaken about what I said! I've said

"
Turtledove wrote:
Contrary to the lie told by our president, the cause of the California fires is primarily that we're in the seventh year of a drought, there are very high winds, and many people have built homes in these forested areas. Of course, you will continue believing whatever lies Trump spews though.

"
Turtledove wrote:
I'm sure forest management has room for improvement but it's really not a significant factor in the drought conditions with high force winds.

Again the primary factors in the deadly California fires are 3 fold.
1. Drought
2. High Winds
3. People living where the fire is burning

Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Edited previous post. I never can quite say what I mean. Oh well.

I recall reading an article a few (??) years ago about how new developments were being erected faster than the infrastructure could keep up, and funding might not have been appropriately allocated to staff enough people to keep dry foliage and debris cleared. No good without a source, and as mentioned before I’m no expert on the matter. Is this still the case?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
Turtledove wrote:
Again the primary factors in the deadly California fires are 3 fold.
1. Drought
2. High Winds
3. People living where the fire is burning
I think Trump's strategy when Democrats tell lies to advance their narrative is to tell smaller lies that advance his narrative. I think Turtledove's three-point answer here is fair and accurate, but that's not the alarmist story du jour; climate change is, and that explanation is both laughably false and clearly advances a particular agenda. Trump's answer is somewhere in between, implying that he sees little utility in being better than his opposition on principle but does see the utility of being better by degree.

I mean, a lot of folks here don't like John Oliver, but I think he was spot on when he coined the term Whataboutism. That, in a word, is the game Trump is playing. And winning. Oliver's only mistake was in thinking logical fallacies are ineffective persuasion; he should have listened more to Scott Adams.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 16, 2018, 8:17:56 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I think Trump's strategy when Democrats tell lies to advance their narrative is to tell smaller lies that advance his narrative. I think Turtledove's three-point answer here is fair and accurate, but that's not the alarmist story du jour; climate change is, and that explanation is both laughably false and clearly advances a particular agenda. Trump's answer is somewhere in between, implying that he sees little utility in being better than his opposition on principle but does see the utility of being better by degree.

I mean, a lot of folks here don't like John Oliver, but I think he was spot on when he coined the term Whataboutism. That, in a word, is the game Trump is playing. And winning. Oliver's only mistake was in thinking logical fallacies are ineffective persuasion; he should have listened more to Scott Adams.

That is also a false narrative. There is a correlation between climate change and weather patterns. Asking the question ‘Is climate change causing extreme weather? It is similar to the link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer which is a statistical one, which does not prove every cancer was caused by smoking, but smoking increases the risk. It is similar to asking what is the cause of cancer. You say it is one of the various possible causes, including increasing risk factors and how genes affect cancer growth. That is if you wanna be political correct, if not you say it is climate change.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

That is also a false narrative. There is a correlation between climate change and weather patterns. Asking the question ‘Is climate change causing extreme weather? It is similar to the link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer which is a statistical one, which does not prove every cancer was caused by smoking, but smoking increases the risk. It is similar to asking what is the cause of cancer. You say it is one of the various possible causes, including increasing risk factors and how genes affect cancer growth. That is if you wanna be political correct, if not you say it is climate change.

I think ScrotieMcB makes a valid point though. We can assume that climate change is a contributing factor but I've seen people overstating this to say that the drought is caused by climate change. While that is possible, it is much more likely, at least as I understand it, that maybe the 7 year drought would be a 6 year drought or two 2 year droughts or something without climate change. Heck, it might even be possible (but less likely) that without climate change we might be in the 10th year of a drought in California? We can't really know the amount that climate changed has actually played with current scientific understanding and weather modeling capabilities know the real contributing factor that climate change has contributed to the drought.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Nov 16, 2018, 10:27:41 PM
I guess laughing wasn't enough.
"
deathflower wrote:
There is a correlation between climate change and weather patterns.
Yes, there is... in the opposite fucking direction. Global warming causes less of the planet's water to be tied up in ice, leading to higher sea levels, more precipitation, stronger storms, increased cloud cover, and higher humidity. Global warming makes plant life more robust (through both increased CO2 and the aforementioned humidity), allowing it to encroach on previously arid areas and grow denser in its preexisting habitats. Increased humidity also increases the potential spread of waterborne and "airborne" pathogens, as well as the risk of fungal infection.

1 degree hotter isn't going to make the forests suddenly burst aflame or significantly increase the burn time of a preexisting fire. But 1 degree warmer will melt a lot of glacier in areas that would have been just below freezing otherwise. The current direction of climate change is roughly equivalent to spraying the California wildfires once or twice with a giant spraybottle of water, generating a fine mist that hovers in the air for a second or two. Not a particularly strong way to fight a fire — which is why it wasn't much help — but it's astonishingly stupid to act as if the spray accelerates the fire.

For fuck's sake, it's as if you guys don't even know what global warming is, and just assume you can blame any "weather" you don't like on it. Next thing we know you'll be renaming it something more vague like "climate change" for just that very purpose.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 16, 2018, 10:41:36 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I guess laughing wasn't enough.
"
deathflower wrote:
There is a correlation between climate change and weather patterns.
Yes, there is... in the opposite fucking direction. Global warming causes less of the planet's water to be tied up in ice, leading to higher sea levels, more precipitation, stronger storms, increased cloud cover, and higher humidity. Global warming makes plant life more robust (through both increased CO2 and the aforementioned humidity), allowing it to encroach on previously arid areas and grow denser in its preexisting habitats. Increased humidity also increases the potential spread of waterborne and "airborne" pathogens, as well as the risk of fungal infection.

1 degree hotter isn't going to make the forests suddenly burst aflame or significantly increase the burn time of a preexisting fire. But 1 degree warmer will melt a lot of glacier in areas that would have been just below freezing otherwise. The current direction of climate change is roughly equivalent to spraying the California wildfires once or twice with a giant spraybottle of water, generating a fine mist that hovers in the air for a second or two. Not a particularly strong way to fight a fire — which is why it wasn't much help — but it's astonishingly stupid to act as if the spray accelerates the fire.

For fuck's sake, it's as if you guys don't even know what global warming is, and just assume you can blame any "weather" you don't like on it. Next thing we know you'll be renaming it something more vague like "climate change" for just that very purpose.

I don't think your statement is correct. The planet isn't uniform. Climate change can cause both contradicting effect; increase humidity in some area and less precipitation in other, increase temperature and lower temperature in other.
Climate change used to more normally be called global warming. We are experiencing an overall global warming. But climate change may be a more accurate description because normal weather patterns are being impacted which means that some places might become dryer or wetter than historical norms while other areas see the opposite.

Yes, as the globe warms we would expect more overall precipitation but that doesn't mean it's going to be uniformly distributed around the world. Some areas might become dryer while most areas will become wetter. It really means that the weather is more likely going to change. How it changes is going to be different from place to place.
"
Turtledove wrote:
I think ScrotieMcB makes a valid point though. We can assume that climate change is a contributing factor but I've seen people overstating this to say that the drought is caused by climate change.
No, I'm saying that global warming is a factor in the opposite direction. The drought isn't happening because of global warming, it's happening in spite of global warming. The question isn't "how much longer is the drought because of global warming?" the question is "how much shorter is the drought because of global warming?" What, did you honestly believe that every last consequence of global warming would be a negative, that somehow sea levels would rise to drown coastal cities in water AND the clouds would disappear and the land would dry out, simultaneously? That doesn't make any fucking sense, unless you dont understand how clouds and rain work.

Implying that "climate change" (meaning: global warming) is responsible for the wildfires is no less dishonest and propagandist than Trump implying (but not explicitly stating) that California government mismanagement of the forests was a necessary cause for this disaster. Indeed, Trump's deception is smaller by any reasonable standard; there is no evidence either way that the fire was or wasn't preventable, so it's a case of a flat untruth versus groundless, but not disproven, speculation.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 16, 2018, 11:04:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info