ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

"
Shabi wrote:
I have 4% mana leech from gear and I'm still running into some mana issues with sustaining Double Strike. I'm running Tempest Shield and Hatred with a 20 reduced mana. Any ideas? I don't want to run Clarity on mana or on BM gem.

Hey. What's your attack speed and what's the physical damage on your weapon?

The thing about mana leech is that it scales off your physical damage not attack speed. Physical damage affects how much mana you can leech back whereas attack speed increases rate at which you use mana.

You probably have too much attack speed and not enough physical damage - and may need to switch to a slower weapon or higher physical damage weapon.

Once your damage gets high enough 2% mana leech will be sufficient for your attacks.

Also let me know what linked gems you are running with.
200dps 1.9aps dagger, reaching some 10aps with double strike and I can confirm that it is possible to use mana faster than you leech it. In between mobs, my mana globe resets itself to full at the regular mana leech rate; in extended combat I'm going to hit a mana flask because otherwise I go OOM. (It's a Surgeon's flask, I'm good on charges.)

The usual solution I recommend, besides what Ceryneian has already said, is to get more mana, either with %mana nodes or with mana on gear, or both. This increases the speed at which you regain the mana you leech. It makes all the difference in the world.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
Shabi wrote:
I have 4% mana leech from gear and I'm still running into some mana issues with sustaining Double Strike. I'm running Tempest Shield and Hatred with a 20 reduced mana. Any ideas? I don't want to run Clarity on mana or on BM gem.

Hey. What's your attack speed and what's the physical damage on your weapon?

The thing about mana leech is that it scales off your physical damage not attack speed. Physical damage affects how much mana you can leech back whereas attack speed increases rate at which you use mana.

You probably have too much attack speed and not enough physical damage - and may need to switch to a slower weapon or higher physical damage weapon.

Once your damage gets high enough 2% mana leech will be sufficient for your attacks.

Also let me know what linked gems you are running with.

So I made a temporary stop-gap solution by running a level 8 Clarity instead of a maxed Haste on reduced mana, so my mana regen is now 31/s. Dropped my DPS by about 1.5k, but Double Strike is much more sustainable now. What I don't quite understand is why sometimes my mana spikes up to full, while most of the time it doesn't. For example, when I fight Dominus' second form, I've seen my mana spike up to full repeatedly for about 5 seconds, then start depleting at its normal rate.

I do want to get a 2% mana leech ring, but finding one with the stats I want is impossible. I also suspect that even with 6% mana leech, I'll still have to rely on Clarity or mana pots to some extent.

Anyways, my gear and passive tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAhEC0AR-BLEFLQbpCC4JIRXwGtsbrRvIIQMi6iP2JbUnYTB8MgE4ljpYPeI-z0CgQzFE0kd-SO5KfUxgTipRR1PfVvpY21pIW69eE2BLYeJlTWXxZ6BuaXSudO14rnlIeu99dX8rhNmE74cZh3aH2419jb-VZpkrmyabg5uNnrmmf6p_qrirxayvsbOyGbVItkG3F7fTu3y9gb3mvqfAD8OGxLjPetJN037V-NaK18vaPdtV3Q3e9ud055Ho1usU7UHuDu_w8lr5Y_zF_ro=

The hardest part is finding the perfect set of rings and amulets, but I'm pretty happy with where I am now. Offense wise: 8.92 APS, 15k on Double Strike with no Frenzy charges. Defense wise: 4.5k HP, maxed resists, 75 Block chance, 158 life regen/sec, 48% evasion. Cast on Damage Taken + Enduring + Molten + Enfeeble pretty much allows me to tank 99% of the hits in game.
IGN: test_char_one
Last edited by Shabi on Oct 31, 2013, 1:13:48 AM
"
Shabi wrote:
So I made a temporary stop-gap solution by running a level 8 Clarity instead of a maxed Haste on reduced mana, so my mana regen is now 31/s. Dropped my DPS by about 1.5k, but Double Strike is much more sustainable now. What I don't quite understand is why sometimes my mana spikes up to full, while most of the time it doesn't. For example, when I fight Dominus' second form, I've seen my mana spike up to full repeatedly for about 5 seconds, then start depleting at its normal rate.

Good to hear Clarity has helped. Just looking at your weapon - that attack speed is very high and is probably part of the problem - especially if you are also using frenzy charges for attack speed. Have you tried using a lower attack speed weapon? Say 1.5aps?

About your other question - I'm not sure but it could be you hitting other mobs around Dominus with your splash which would give you a lot of mana.

Anyway, congrats on the great gear and nice stats.
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
Shabi wrote:

Good to hear Clarity has helped. Just looking at your weapon - that attack speed is very high and is probably part of the problem - especially if you are also using frenzy charges for attack speed. Have you tried using a lower attack speed weapon? Say 1.5aps?

About your other question - I'm not sure but it could be you hitting other mobs around Dominus with your splash which would give you a lot of mana.

Anyway, congrats on the great gear and nice stats.

Yeah, I intentionally got a high APS weapon. When I first heard about the blender type builds a few months back, I read about a "mana refund" glitch that apparently occurs when your APS reaches a certain point and the mana leech limit glitches and does not apply. I haven't seen it happen yet so I guess they fixed it or something. Or maybe I need more APS, lol. Great guide by the way. Hope to see your new passive tree soon.

IGN: test_char_one
Last edited by Shabi on Oct 31, 2013, 2:36:18 PM
Hi all, I will be updating guide this weekend with my findings from below. This post turned out to be a bit long, so TLDR is below. I have outlined more of my thoughts and rationale further down in the post:

TLDR
- Temporal Chains is a great curse that synergizes well with this build, however the duration is very short and as such Enfeeble would be better in boss fights (relatively longer fights) - as you will be casting Temporal Chains about 2x - 3x more often than Enfeeble
- Dodge: has been buffed greatly on the tree for more % chance to dodge. Also from a meta perspective: life was buffed, however monster damage was not buffed, as such I feel comfortable taking my life back down to the old levels pre-patch and getting more damage avoidance through Dodge. I still believe Dodge remains optional on this build depending on your preferences
- Cast on Damage Taken / Stun: not a huge use on a build focused on avoiding damage. However, advantages include: no mana to cast, and automatic activation. As such it would be ideal to have these linked to curses. Be careful though as the curse will only activate after you take damage
- Adding Leap Slam as a mobility skill for entering and exiting fights
- Will be making a Scion build that uses these concepts but with perhaps more interesting nodes (i.e. Vaal Pact)

Temporal Chains vs. Enfeeble
- I've been testing Temporal Chains and while I love this curse - I will be switching back to Enfeeble
- Temporal Chains gives more time to leech and block/stun recover between hits compared to Enfeeble
- Temporal Chains also works great on spell bosses compared to Enfeeble because the full slow (affected by quality) affects cast speed whereas Enfeeble only affects the damage of the spells (which is not scaled by quality on Enfeeble)
- The huge downside is the short duration of Temporal Chains - I have to cast Temporal Chains 2 or 3 times for every 1 time I cast Enfeeble. It is very annoying having to stop in the middle of fights to keep casting Temporal Chains
- Since I usually use a curse for bosses - this means a relatively long fight and so I would prefer having to cast my curse once or twice, and not 3 or 4 times
- I will be switching back to Enfeeble because of this. If Temporal Chains and Enfeeble had the same duration - I would prefer using Temporal Chains as it slows down consecutive bursts of damage, stuns, and block recovery, but unfortunately the duration of Enfeeble is about 2.5x that of Temporal

Dodge
- Overall I will be speccing back into Dodge and taking out points from life. However I still believe Dodge is optional for this build
- Dodge has been significantly buffed on from the patch: up to 40% attack dodge and 30% spell dodge
- It is a great fit for the build due to its damage avoidance and it has no drawbacks (i.e. recovery) unlike Block (which has some recovery if you Block a hit that would have stunned you)
- The evasion + blind + max block combo is so strong that I hardly noticed any difference in having 40% additional dodge for attacks
- The downside is that you have to go through 6 nodes of Acrobatics just to get to Phase Acrobatics for spell dodge
- For spells - I did notice a difference between 75% spell block (75% spell avoidance) vs. 75% spell block + 30% spell dodge (83% spell avoidance), especially in areas with the new trap mobs. I have also been running many Jungle Valley and Temple maps to test the damage avoidance against the Weaver and Piety (strong spell bosses) - and the build is performing extremely well
- From a meta perspective: life was buffed, however monster damage was not buffed, as such I feel comfortable taking my life back down to the old levels of ~3K and getting more damage avoidance
- I will be adding Dodge back into the guide, but will still note Dodge as optional as some users may prefer having extra life to mentally feel safer
- As mentioned before I have found ~3K life to be enough for end-game content. There is very little that having extra life will help in the case of one-shot scenarios, whereas Dodge could still possibly keep you alive: if you fail to avoid a Vaal Smash or a Dominus smash you will likely die as the damage is extremely high - there is little difference between 4K vs. 3K life when a level 78 Dominus is smashing for ~8K. On the other hand, with Dodge - you will have a higher chance to avoid such damage
- One downside is that I have lost about 50% of my Energy Shield - it is down to about 350 right now

Cast on Damage Taken / Stun
- It is hard to put these gems to good use on this build as we are focused on damage avoidance. The amount of time between hits is very large that any defense we put up (after we get hit) could possibly provide no returns until the next hit manages to get through
- The good thing is that Cast When Damage Taken requires zero mana to cast
- The best I have found is to link Enduring Cry / Temporal Chains curse / Enfeeble curse to a low level Cast on Damage Taken gem, that way i) you almost always have Endurance Charges in tough situations without having to take time to cast, or ii) you can automatically cast Enfeeble / Temporal Chains with no mana to allow you to reduce enemy damage / leech back quickly to full life before you take further damage, or escape from hairy situations very safely
- The downside to linking Temporal Chains / Enfeeble to Cast on Damage is that you will not be able to apply this curse until after you enter fight and take damage
- Cast when Stunned really isn't useful for this build as stuns are very rare, but if you want to feel super safe - maybe have this linked to Temporal Chains / Enfeeble as well
- You could probably set up your links like this: Enfeeble + Enduring Cry + Cast on Damage Taken + Increased Area of Effect (don't really need Faster Casting or Increased Duration). The no mana cost and automatic casting will be very nice
- If you want to play super-safe - I would keep Enfeeble on manual activation so that I can use the curse before I take any damage. One example I would like to point to is the boss fight on the Level 76 Precinct map - I took zero damage from the Lady Stormflay bosses and that was partly because I had used Enfeeble before engaging them
- Other options for Cast on Damage Taken include Decoy Totem and a Spell Totem linked to Summon Skeletons - however these totems are quickly destroyed when you use them against strong bosses

Leap Slam
- I am adding this to the build as an optional mobility skill
- You could replace Flicker Strike + Culling Strike, with Leap Slam + Culling Strike, while gaining mobility to enter and exit fights easily. Unlike Flicker Strike which only gives you mobility to enter fights

Scion

- I've been getting a lot of interest on whether this build will work with Scion - I believe it could work very well, however it would require many alterations to the tree
- The more I think about it - it is more ideal to take her down to the Duelist side and then up to the Ranger
- Going Scion has the potential for a lot of survivability since there is a lot of life clusters in this region, however we will have to spec into weapon specific nodes (i.e. axe/sword) for our damage, grab evasion where we can, and it will also be a stretch to get to Dodge. We will have to get mana leech from gear as we will most likley not be able to reach Mind Drinker
- There are also a lot of interesting nodes that could be grabbed including Vaal Pact. I am working on different iterations of the tree and will post a version that I plan to try (I've been playing a Spectral Throw Scion, but it has gotten boring and I will be starting a melee Scion soon with this build's concepts)
- I originally thought maybe an ES focused build more on the Ranger/Shadow side would be ideal - but you will not be able to get any instant life regen (i.e. can only use Life Leech gem and Ghost Reaver passive) as Vaal Pact would be just too far to get if you are on the Ranger+Shadow side

Last edited by Ceryneian on Oct 31, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
Will also be making some new videos of the new maps.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Oct 31, 2013, 10:26:53 PM
heck ya! dodge for the win
I like to use Cast On Damage Taken linked with Temporal Chains. This leaves Enfeeble free to cast on bosses or hard hitting mobs, which is the only real concern I have with this build. Plus, most of the damage I do take is in the form or ranged magic, so Temporal Chains is able to reduce the amount of incoming damage. I really like the fact that the curse aoe is focused on the enemy that exceeded the gem damage threshold and not centered on your character.

I still have mana issues, but I'm at 9.5 aps using a 1.95 speed corsair sword. Using Warlord's Mark on trash improves mana issues and keeps endurance charges up full time. This weekend I'm going to look for a slower siege axe with comparable dps to help with mana. If I can sustain using a slower weapon, then I can free up some % mana and mana regen nodes.

I love this build. Thank you so much!
Is your build better than this, from Sovyn ?

[1.0.0] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920/page/1
☞ @Torgh
MADE IN FRANCE
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ 232691 ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Last edited by Torgh on Nov 2, 2013, 3:58:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info