Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

Sorry for double post but I forgot to include that the BSOD that appears (haven't tried the game with softwaresound yet, had no time) ALWAYS started with NON_PAGED_AREA_FAULT and the code was like 0x00000051. Hopefully it should help you guys track this down.
Added - softwareaudio -nosound, it still crashes :/ NON_PAGED_AREA_FAULT

Audigy 2 ZS on Pax drivers
Last edited by crine on Jan 5, 2013, 9:35:19 AM
Have same problem and same card/drivers as crine.

Been playing this game for a long time but put it away because of this issue, using the softwareaudio still gives me BSOD but it has only happen twice in a total of 10h+ playtime and both where when just going into transition between two areas.

Same BSOD NON_PAGED_AREA_FAULT

I feel I should edit this. Would seem I was missing a " " in the short-cut.

Game has worked just fine for the last 20+ played time.
Last edited by meat4u on Jan 9, 2013, 3:28:37 PM
Everything is OK now. I didn't know that it makes any difference but on the beggining i added
-softwareaudio, then i changed it to --softwareaudio with two "-" and it works now :D
Last edited by crine on Jan 9, 2013, 6:05:39 PM
Can I add this game to Steam as a non Steam game and add the shortcut in properties and still have it work? Or add it to the exe itself, which is what Steam grabs to add the overlay. I don't need it to be added to steam but it would be nice to have the option.
I too am getting sound issues with Path of Exile. The sound works for the most part, but behaves oddly. For one, I have had a BSOD within the past couple of days (just started playing a few days ago). The other issue is one I came across while trying to make videos. Game sound wasn't being picked up by the recording software, even though the program is set to record audio from my default desktop source (which should be everything). Every other program I have tried has audio that is recorded, except PoE. I also opened up the Control Panel and went to "Hardware and Sound" and then clicked on "Adjust System Volume" (underneath "Sound" category). The window that pops up shows volume sliders for all programs that I have running (that have audio). This window doesn't show PoE even though it is running and sound is playing. Also when I click the speaker icon in the taskbar to view the volume, usually there is a little green bar bouncing up and down when I have audio output playing from a program. When audio from PoE is playing and I click on the taskbar speaker icon, there is no green bar indicating sound output.

I will try the --softwareaudio fix for now. I do hope this is fixed because I bought a sound card so I didn't have to use the standard built in software solution.

I am using Windows 7 and my sound card is a Creative Technology Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional series.

EDIT: The --softwareaudio has fixed my issue as well. In-game sounds are now being picked up by Windows and therefore my recording software too. Hopefully a fix is released soon. The sound effects and music sounded awesome when using the sound card's drivers =\
Last edited by Cynthesis21 on Jan 11, 2013, 6:49:20 AM
Question to Rory, do you think this will be fixed before open beta or should everyone with this problem just use --softwaresound when it starts?
Yeah I was getting BSODs when playing in window mode for some hours.
Hey guys. So is it safe to assume that the BSOD problem can now be solved with --softwareaudio command?

I got the portcls.sys BSOD STOP 3B today with W7 64bit and X-Fi Titanium. Please fix this before going out of beta!!

What high end sound card DOESN'T produce this crash with PoE? I don't consider using software audio and acceptable option.

"Some sound cards are having problems with with PoE" is ridiculous when no other game bluescreens due to my sound card. More like "our game is having problems with some sound cards". Way to offset the blame.
Last edited by ElektroDragon on Jan 19, 2013, 8:29:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info