Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

i've experienced similar problems with other programs, not PoE, but maybe the fixes i found can help someone here. opening device manager and disabling all of the audio devices that aren't in use solved my harder than BSOD freezes with another game. i'd also try downloading http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed it helps diagnose crashes by listing the program or file that caused it.
I also have a Creative SB X-Fi and I am getting BSOD with portcls.sys being the problem driver.

However I have a noob question... I tried adding -softwareaudio to the end of the shortcut target command line, but I did not notice any difference after running the game, and I still BSOD'ed. Also, when I tried to put -nosound in the command line I would still get sound when running the game, I tried - -nosound as well and still had sound in the game... any idea why its not letting me disable the sound in the command line?
WhoCrashed is saying it's the RealTek newtork adapter driver (rt64win7.sys, to be precise).

Edit: updated the driver, uninstalled and reinstalled PoE (again), no more issues. Thanks a bunch to oarking for putting me onto WhoCrashed.
I blow my nose at you!
Last edited by JasonMaher on Jan 23, 2013, 9:57:01 PM
random BOSD , protcls.sys fail.

search in google said that the problem due to soundcard problem.

"
dgryaznov wrote:
I also have a Creative SB X-Fi and I am getting BSOD with portcls.sys being the problem driver.

However I have a noob question... I tried adding -softwareaudio to the end of the shortcut target command line, but I did not notice any difference after running the game, and I still BSOD'ed. Also, when I tried to put -nosound in the command line I would still get sound when running the game, I tried - -nosound as well and still had sound in the game... any idea why its not letting me disable the sound in the command line?

coz it has two "-"
the command line should be "--softwareaudio"
the pic too small could't see well
where can i download the game ? the only thing i see to download is the 0.10.0 patch i have an account and after i login i got this Our patching servers are under extreme load. We are working on adding capacity. Thanks for your patience. HELP PLSSSSSS
Played the Closed Beta for a few days - no BSOD. Now, after this fabolous first patch entering OB, I get my first BSOD after 10 mins playing. Very disappointing, GGG!!!

Get lucky with my pledged 40 Bucks GGG. I'll wait for a solution, before starting this bugged software again. Don't want to shred my rig. BSODs are stone age of computing. Can't spread the word about this Game, which is, on the other side, the better diablo 3.

Ah, yes - Creative Xfi installed, no problems with other games, also not with very old ones like Ultima 9 or NWN.
Last edited by Wobble67 on Jan 24, 2013, 10:49:03 AM
I had this problem the first solution worked. My sound card is Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-E, hardware encoding on Dolby Digital, if I switch to DTS encoding everything is ok without the software audio enforce.
on my x-fi tit it worked like a charm, big thanks
I realize this is already a known issue but I figured I would post up as well

BSOD System Service Exception, Creative SB X-FI PCI-E x1

Problem Details:

"

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880058FBBF9
BCP3: FFFFF8800DBA8D00
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Generally had no issues running the game by it self, but when trying to load up any VOIP (ventrillo, Dolby Axon or TS3) It would immediately BSOD.

Used fix at beginning of this post seems to be stable now. But wanted to post up the info just for reference

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info