Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

There's an updated that was released today for my card (X-Fi Fatal1ty champion series), I'll try that and then the suggested fixes.
I was rather puzzled by the RAM related BSOD caused by the audio driver, now I know I'm not alone...
Still having the same Issue, please, please guys fix this before my PC goes boom!

Can we at least get a bit of feedback on this? I know you have been extremely busy but many of us have been very patient about this bug.
Last edited by Dobster on Jan 25, 2013, 2:43:24 PM
If a mod could put this (or the important parts) on the main post it could help a lot of people who keep crashing. A large number of audio related crashes in video games are related to the frequency that the sound card has default to output. If you are experiencing crashing, even BSODing, it's worth trying to change the default to 44.1khz. To do this on windows 7, you go into control panel -> hardware and sound -> sound -> double click where it says speakers -> head to the advanced tab -> and change "default format" from 48000hz to 44100hz. Creative has 48000 as the default because it's a higher sound quality, technically. Most people can not hear the difference between the two. If you've ever experienced crashing in windows 7 with call of duty 5, this fixes that aswell. Earlier today, I spoke to someone who kept BSODing every single time they entered an area of the game. Changing this to 44.1 fixed it. Hopefully this helps the devs fix the issue outright and is simply a temp fix.
and again :(

portcls.sys BSOD.

Don't know what to do now TBH. I guess playing the game is not possible for me until this is fixed.

I'll add the sound part of my DXDiag if it might help to please get this fixed.

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_00431102&REV_04
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1348 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: No
Date and Size: 12/18/2012 20:35:38, 703152 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_00431102&REV_04
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
WHQL Logo'd: No
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Digital-In (Creative SB X-Fi)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: No
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: "What U Hear" (Creative SB X-Fi)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF
Awful OB quality.. Everything was ok till OB. Then I started to get BSOD every 15-20 mins game play and it only went worse. Today I changed from Dolby quality and now I can play 1-2 hours. What a progress, so fail to be honest. Please reroll to pre OB status, this is stupid if high quality sound card can make Windoes 8 BSOD because of game.
Last edited by Killhoven on Jan 25, 2013, 3:43:58 PM
As far as I'm aware, the fix is specific to creative cards. To top it off, it doesn't work on every creative card. It mixed with the "--softwareaudio" fixed my BSODing. It's not a fix all, but it's certainly worth a try if you have a creative card.
I use Azuntech X-fi prelude that uses Creative chip. And yes I have changed to DTS and please notice - everything was ok till OB. Reading this topic makes clear - things went towards worse, negative improvemet.
Last edited by Killhoven on Jan 25, 2013, 3:56:58 PM
I feel like such an idiot now lol.

Just double checked that I did the fix correctly and found that I put "-softwareaudio" not "--softwareaudio".

My sound is now much clearer and I haven't had a BSOD yet...
Stupidity is not the lack of knowledge. It's the inability to make use of it once you have it. Repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome, for example. The original post on the front page doesn't make it very clear that you need two dashes. Glad to have helped, even if it was inadvertently.
"
Xenom666 wrote:
Stupidity is not the lack of knowledge. It's the inability to make use of it once you have it. Repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome, for example. The original post on the front page doesn't make it very clear that you need two dashes. Glad to have helped, even if it was inadvertently.

It was your post that made me check it again, so thanks very much for that.

I think this has fixed it for me now, the sound is so much better and I'm hearing things I've never heard in the game before. Still no BSOD and I'm sure I would have had one by now.

The sound for us X-FI users is very broken.
Last edited by Dobster on Jan 25, 2013, 4:13:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info