Development Stories: Path of Exile 2 Narrative Design Philosophies

I never understand why players these days skip over dialogue and/or don't care about the story.

As bad as D3 was they at least put in quests for the 3 followers which were better than I thought they'd be, lorewise.

Even in D2 it felt easier to connect with certain NPC's within just a few paragraphs of dialogue. It was also a nice touch to have certain NPC react differently depending on what class you were.
what poe 1 lacks is rewards and choices paired with your character development. except from the bandits quest, there are no choices that alter how you reach endgame. the item rewards can be completely skipped, and the gem rewards become trivial after you reach act 6. the regret point rewards are pretty off considering how easy is to get orbs of regret. i believe people end up killing uber elder while fairgraves's ghost is still tied to his ship lol
no third challenge reward since beta lmao
Hi Matt,
I talked with some players about PoE's story and noone could tell me anything about it. Players like me, that repeated acts each league, dont read the conversations.

I tried sometimes to read all the dialogues but there are TOO MANY lines. Lines explaining things that i dont really understand about a complex lore. Luckily, i watch some videos in Youtube about the secret lore and history in PoE to truly understand it.

What i think we need in PoE 2? Action and less text. I dont mean cinematics but chracters doing things instead of standing in the towns. Things like rescueing Clarrisa in Act 3 or opening Kitava's horns in Act 10. Heist conversations feel quite natural and funny, Delirium and Ultimatum voice lines are awesome. I believe you will do an awesome job in POE 2.

Thanks TEAM.
"
I never understand why players these days skip over dialogue and/or don't care about the story.

As bad as D3 was they at least put in quests for the 3 followers which were better than I thought they'd be, lorewise.

Even in D2 it felt easier to connect with certain NPC's within just a few paragraphs of dialogue. It was also a nice touch to have certain NPC react differently depending on what class you were.

A lot of people pass off multiplayer/ARPG game lore as missable because it's usually so awful. That being said. I think Path of Exile lore is my favorite Fantasy game lore of all time. Fuck WoW, fuck Warhammer, fuck everything else. Path of Exile lore has kept me enraptured since 2012.
I really liked the idea of the tower of god and the artwork of sarn with it in the background.
Hope to see it revisited and to be epic
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
"
XBlezzLightX wrote:
I really want to see a campaign final boss which evolves throughout the story as we do.

That'd be interesting, but I suspect quite difficult to balance. Some research is in order to see if this has been tried anywhere...

"
I love the idea about choices impacting the story and sidequests.

I think Ace Combat X has something like this - there's a point in its campaign where you can take one of two possible missions, and your choice affects the capabilities of an upcoming boss - and it's not beyond plausibility here given what we saw in the recent PoE2 demonstration.

I would also second IIIPaiNIII's suggestion about a codex. A good place to start right now would be Einhar's bestiary - it's quite believable that he would have notes therein about the various creatures' behaviors...

On another note, and somewhat related to the matter of choice: given that we'd be creating a new character who's going through a world shaped in part by the events of the previous game, it's an opportunity to take a page from Torchlight 2 (setting aside the differences in art style) in terms of character creation options...
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
"Maybe we'll take a boat"

Boat league confirmed at last.
Also Malachi's gotta show back up at least once right?? For one of the most smartest and powerful dudes in the POE1 campaign it's odd that you kill him once and then he just... stays dead...?
"
Great post! To answer the question, I suppose what really hooked me when I started during Torment League, aside from the mechanics and skill gem system, was the unsettling hopelessness in the game. You're stuck in the continent, essentially a death sentence and there are hints/dialogue at Wraeclast being completely in ruin. One of the coolest parts was the crossroads and hearing the silent cries of a woman (perhaps that was added later- I do not remember) and after reading the lore on the ruins you realize how the apocalyptic events (that are still a mystery at that point) resulted in the undead hoards that occupy the land. There's also Lunaris temple. Seeing the piles of bloody corpses, the pools of blood, and the abominations wandering about really installed that sense of fear, creepiness, and depravity that Piety instills.

I think post act 4 the story gets a bit disjointed with the introduction to the Gods. It gets complicated quickly and the story feels less concise. The feeling of the first four acts with the nature of corruption seeping through Wraeclast was unique and that kind of feeling of desperation and hopelessness I felt was lost in the later acts. That was probably my favorite thing in PoE 1 and would love for it to return.

In all honesty though, I think the issue was the drastic tonal shift between the first two parts of PoE's story (rather than any particular tonal preference on my part), with act 5 really departing from the initial tone. So a consistent story tone, which I think is happening from what I've read in this post, fixes those issues.

agreed!

I love act 1, 2 & 3 and all its protagonists.
I love Lunaris Temple - the atmosphere reminds me of Diablo 1&2 but it also has its own distinct style.
The visuals, the old Lunaris Soundtrack, the screams and the creepy and at the time pretty difficult mobs came together perfectly.

The atmosphere of Lioneye's watch with the old music was amazing, it set the tone of the game up perfectly (that doesn't mean the new track isn't beautiful - it just doesn't have the same impact).
Also the old character screen, the rain, the ship. Great atmosphere.

And no, this is not just being nostalgic.

PoE always had a great atmosphere - and some of it was definitely lost when GGG tried to push out a lot of content, perhaps a bit too fast.

I'm especially not a fan of the Sin+Innocence - protagonists and the gods story. Feels a bit cheap and Diablo3-stylish.

Looking forward to PoE2's story!
IGN PPPPanddddaPPPPanicccc

still waiting for that 'Chris Wilson-director's cut' version

oh wait, I finally got it. Thanks team!
Hi GGG!

I really miss all POE 1 characters reactions to events in act 5-10. I assume, you did not add them because you couldn't get all actors again in 2016-2017. But now, is a great chance to describe their reaction through some notes or other NPC dialogs.

In D3 (correct me if I am wrong) we got D1 warrior character canonical name. That also could be great thing to add for POE 1 characters.

----------------------------

Also, don't you want to expand POE time travel or Atlas mechanics to present events from the past? There is rich lore that could be presented via special maps design + some dialog or script scenes or at least lore notes. I would like to see more about previous ages: Primordial, Abyss, start of the story about Innocence and Sin, Vaal, Azmeri and also current otherworldly Beyond and Breach etc.

-----------------------------
Also I liked ARMOR PIERCING BOLTS! Please add more of that stuff!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info