Melee Splash

Anyone tried it with Whirling Blades? It doesn't have the AoE tag so there's a chance it'll work.
"
Anyone tried it with Whirling Blades? It doesn't have the AoE tag so there's a chance it'll work.
"Not AoE" is not the same as "Single Target". Whirling Blades is pretty definitively not a single target skill.
i'm slow :D
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Apr 8, 2013, 12:27:02 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
"Not AoE" is not the same as "Single Target". Whirling Blades is pretty definitively not a single target skill.

That's what I figured, but had to check to be sure! :)
Whats the splashs base range and does conc effect increase the splash dmg ? i tested and couldnt find any difference its important to know for us that range worth for aoe nodes or not(for example cleave has 20 and worth those nodes but cyclone not)
So I rolled a Templar to give Glacial Strike + Splash a try...utter fail.

I used Ice Nova to level through normal, and at lvl 21 after getting the gem, I tried to switch to melee and...honestly I just gave up and kept using Ice Nova to kill stuff because it was WAY more effective.

The radius it not big enough. Despite Amplify and the 2 4% AoE range nodes, the radius is so tiny that it frankly barely triggers.

And since the radius is tiny, unlike Cleave or Ground Slam, you must get very close to lots of mobs to use it. Which in merciless basically means you better be playing softcore, because you're going to die a crapton. Even in normal I found myself low on health quite a bit.

The only real upside is that if you are pounding on a boss, you don't have to worry about AoE controlling melee minions (e.g. Merveil's 2nd form). But this is a spectacularly small benefit.
In other words, this is really just a variant for the support gem slot in a melee build's single-target attack; it cannot replace the AoE attack. Which is very unfortunate; if it could help melee chars use a skill like Infernal blow or Glacial as both their primary AND AoE skill, it would open up a whole new 4L slot to use on incorporating another skill.

Even as a "first step", I don't think it's good enough. Sounds like you made it too powerful on the alpha realms, and now it's so badly nerfed that it's not helpful.
Tested some more and conc effect reduces the splash effect but dont think increases splash dmg anyway this skill causes massive dysnc with my single target skills(tested with dual strike ,heavy strike, glacial hammer) mostly i found myself hitting air while mobs teleports behind my back and mostly splashes frontal not circular(maybe half cirle).

Still want to know whats the base range of splash is it worth for aoe nodes or not ?
I've been messing around with infernal blow linked to melee splash, and it is now useable without feeling totally gimp compared to leap slam or other natively AoE abilities.

However, to my mind there is one serious oversight. You cannot ground attack with it. You have to target and hit a primary target in order to deal splash damage. There are two reasons this sucks:

1) Makes you more sensitive to sync issues. If the server thinks the guy you're trying to hit is out of range, you flail uselessly, hitting nothing, not leeching or stunning, which is very dangerous.

2) In groups it is practically impossible to target single enemies to attack. That problem doesn't seem to be going away (despite the aura graphical simplifications), so melee splash supported single target skills will still feel much worse / more annoying to use than natively AoE abilities like cleave or leap slam.

The gem is definitely a huge step in the right direction. Let the splash work regardless of hitting the primary target, and you'll have a bunch of new viable end game builds!

edit: I too found the radius disappointing, but I haven't had a chance to try it linked to increased AoE yet.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 8, 2013, 3:58:15 AM
I BEGGED for them to make the AOE bigger all this week in alpha. There's much higher risk to using this style of play and if the AOE doesn't even compare to normal AOEs what's the point of using it?

I threw it on my GH build I was working on just because of the splash announcement and I might as well have just had GH w/o splash. I barely noticed any difference.

I'm so disappointed with how they chose to make this UP rather than slightly OP. I try to be patience and hopeful but I'm really frustrated with how they introduced splash. I'm pretty sure it's only this way because with a few skills it's OP so it means the ones that could really shine from a larger AOE become utterly useless.

Say hello to another niche gem.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
This is marginally useful in Pre-Act 3 normal. Dump it for a range attack gem at Cruel+. As useless as a boob on a brick.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info