Where is the default filter file stored on PC ?

For some reason my item filter does not show up under the options in the configuration menu. When I click on the filter folder it should open a folder but it doesn't.

It should be in Documents\My Games\Path of Exile
but there is nothing there. Even when I put the filter file there (and yes it has the .filter extension) it won't show in the filter list.

The only one that shows up is the default. I'd like to put my custom filter in the same folder but don't know where the default file is located either. Anyone know where the default location is on a PC ?
Last bumped on Jan 11, 2024, 3:36:26 PM
In Ruthless is a bug and filters are not shown. As addition You can support my idea to back the normal syntax in Ruthless filters.
🌞 Designer of SimpleFilter see My Item Filters 🌞
He's not in Ruthless though.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
I'm not in Ruthless. I'm a filthy Standard player :-)
I can't find any filter called default anywhere. I assume it has the same .filter extension so where the heck is it ?

Edit:I even updated the production_config file as that is where the filter name is supposedly stored. It had an old filter name and this didn't even show up in the options menu of the game ! What's the point of a config file if it is ignored ?
Last edited by BowWizard on Apr 24, 2023, 8:53:52 PM
There is no file provided for the default filter. It's built into the client. However, you can download it from here.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Apr 24, 2023, 8:50:46 PM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
There is no file provided for the default filter. It's built into the client. However, you can download it from here.

Appreciate that but my issue is no mater where I put the filter file it does not show in the list. It won't even open a folder to show me where the folder under windows is. If there is no folder I understand it wouldn't show me one, but it should default to a blank directory then, not this magical mystery tour I'm currently on :-)

This is what isn't working

Last edited by BowWizard on Apr 24, 2023, 8:59:44 PM
%userprofile%/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile

That is indeed the default location for filter files. They should be placed there, alongside your production_Config and production_login files--not inside another folder or anything.

If clicking the folder in the game options doesn't open that folder for you, there's something weird going on on your end. Same deal if putting a filter file in there (and remembering to refresh the list in-game if you've got the client open when you add it to the folder) doesn't make it show up in your list of available filters.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
%userprofile%/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile

That is indeed the default location for filter files. They should be placed there, alongside your production_Config and production_login files--not inside another folder or anything.

If clicking the folder in the game options doesn't open that folder for you, there's something weird going on on your end. Same deal if putting a filter file in there (and remembering to refresh the list in-game if you've got the client open when you add it to the folder) doesn't make it show up in your list of available filters.

The filter is in the same place as the the config file. The production_login file doesn't exist anymore. I was having issues with login and removed it. I thought it would recreate it but it didn't. I can still login just fine, so apart from the weirdness with the filter file I also now wonder if those production files are actually used in game or just legacy files that don't actually do anything.
The login file is only used if you use the standalone client and have it save your login details. If you play via Steam it serves no purpose. If you do use standalone client but don't have it save your details, the client won't generate a new one if none is present. Either way, that file itself has no bearing on whatever issue you're encountering. But its location if you do need it could.

If you are using standalone client and are having it save your login details though, there's definitely one "somewhere". If that's the case and it's not being used/generated in the proper place, you probably need to do a search of your drive for it to see where it is being saved.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Apr 24, 2023, 11:28:46 PM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
The login file is only used if you use the standalone client and have it save your login details. If you play via Steam it serves no purpose. If you do use standalone client but don't have it save your details, the client won't generate a new one if none is present. Either way, that file itself has no bearing on whatever issue you're encountering. But its location if you do need it could.

If you are using standalone client and are having it save your login details though, there's definitely one "somewhere". If that's the case and it's not being used/generated in the proper place, you probably need to do a search of your drive for it to see where it is being saved.

I'm using the stand alone client yes. I'll see if the file is stored somewhere. It'c certainly not where it is "supposed" to be. I have the login screen set to save the login details and it appears to do so. Interestingly enough the login name and gateway are both in the config file, so I really do not know what the purpose of the login file is on a stand alone client. I'll see if it is somewhere on the system, though logic suggests it should not be if the game is using it. It should bork if it's not in the default place.

Last resort will be uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if it corrects itself somehow.

A search of C:\ for Production_login came up blank. It's possible the search was bad but I doubt it. It found the production_config file just fine. Seems to be some heavy duty witchery going for this to be working as it does :-)
Last edited by BowWizard on Apr 24, 2023, 11:52:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info