New and Changed Gems in Path of Exile: Trial of the Ancestors

All supports, how boring.
For more detailed information, I do beta testing for $75 an hour.
"
Issarelias wrote:

So yeah. Visual clarity of what you're supposed to do to maximise the gem is non-existent.

Isn't that what is fun with PoE? :)

It is quite complicated to calculate the optimal number, because it depends a lot on the play style and how you are specced.

But if you simplify it a lot and look at a 100 dmg hit from the supported skill against a single unit and a 100% guaranteed chance to ignite, it would look something like the image below.

Making the sweet spot to be 4 hits before each tick (i.e. 4 hits / s) and 16 ignites if you would let the ignite run its full course without doing any more hits.

But then if you take in consideration that you might not have 100% chance ignite, you could potentially do a lot more hit loss. And if you consider that you ignite a lot of mobs with fewer hits, you get less hit loss. (Plus all other interactions you can do with ignite with passives and items like Emberwake that complicate things).

So a good strategy for mapping should still seem to be that you wanna AoE things and stack up ignites with as few hits as possible and then keep moving and let the ignite run its course. And then against single targets you want a high ignite chance and not too fast attack speed, or do hit and run tactics (which you usually do anyway on mobs you can't face tank).
"
DireGray wrote:
Does SpellBlade modify the damage of Absolutions cast? I know it won't modify the minions themselves but does it affect the player casted portion of the skill?

It should work with any spell skill which is not a DoT, like any other "Added Spell Damage" bonus. So if you have a weapon that says 100-100 physical damage, you should get 135-135 added physical damage to the Absolution cast (before any other % increase bonuses are calculated).

"
gnome73 wrote:
How does Spellblade interact with Battlemage?

I am guessing additive, i.e. you would get 235% of the mainhand weapon as Added Spell Damage or 160% (mh) + 60% (oh) if dual-wielding.
Sweeeet
"
hmcg020 wrote:
Wait so volatility requires luck for it to not be a heavy nerf to anything outside of lightning damage?

daggers have a high top-end and low low-end damage spread. That's where I see it used outside of a lightning focuses ele hit.

Then have a damage is lucky mod to increase the chance of getting a top-end damage roll on your attack.
I'm surprised that almost nobody talk about Volatility. Seems extremly interesting with Energy blade and more with its 2h version : low cost 6 link very early since you dont Care if it's a shitty unique, and just MASSIVE damage. Thinking about synergy with tornado on a trickster to keep a potential max Roll going.

Or an ignite elementalist because : is the max Roll Also count for ailments calculation ? Could be devastating with the 50% chance to refresh ignite duration on Crit mastery in order to keep the very high max Roll on the ignite going.

Some exciting testing sessions in perspective !
Last edited by Tellmedad on Aug 16, 2023, 5:20:16 AM
"
Escwald wrote:
"
Issarelias wrote:

So yeah. Visual clarity of what you're supposed to do to maximise the gem is non-existent.

Isn't that what is fun with PoE? :)

It is quite complicated to calculate the optimal number, because it depends a lot on the play style and how you are specced.

But if you simplify it a lot and look at a 100 dmg hit from the supported skill against a single unit and a 100% guaranteed chance to ignite, it would look something like the image below.

Making the sweet spot to be 4 hits before each tick (i.e. 4 hits / s) and 16 ignites if you would let the ignite run its full course without doing any more hits.

But then if you take in consideration that you might not have 100% chance ignite, you could potentially do a lot more hit loss. And if you consider that you ignite a lot of mobs with fewer hits, you get less hit loss. (Plus all other interactions you can do with ignite with passives and items like Emberwake that complicate things).

So a good strategy for mapping should still seem to be that you wanna AoE things and stack up ignites with as few hits as possible and then keep moving and let the ignite run its course. And then against single targets you want a high ignite chance and not too fast attack speed, or do hit and run tactics (which you usually do anyway on mobs you can't face tank).

having a hard time reading your table. I think you didn't make the damage reduction global? you have 364% more ignite damage, but it's then reduced by the 78% less damage in the line below it. That 78% less is not specifying hit or attack or anything. It's global damage - all damage - includes the ignite damage.

So the final increase at max stacks to your ignite damage is 2%.
So the gem's ignite damage with one stack and 100 base damage is 110.58 damage at one stack and 102.08 at max.

464x.22 is no increase to damage. :(

@tellmedad brings up a good mod though. 50% chance to refresh ignite duration could bypass this sweet spot issue.
woW
In order to get rid of clearspeed meta cap global movement speed at 100% but make all skills instant so everything feels great.
Very sad we can't support boneshatter with trauma.
I think "Sadism Support" does opposite to what a sadist would do which is try to cause more suffering for their pleasure. This gem instead puts the monsters out of their misery quickly :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info