[1.0.1]theWombo's Crit Lightning Arrow with Pierce; FROST WALL ABUSE(semi noob-friendly)

Which bandit rewards? I'm guess Oak --> Krait --> skill?
I'm following your build, currently lvl 51 in cruel a3. No problems so far, as expected.

I would be interest in a small section about what attributes are important for the bow, similar to the one you made for armors. Not sure what too look for other than physical damage.
I'm pretty sure Bandit rewards are HP > Increased Physical Damage > Frenzy Charge. I could be wrong though.
RIP count: sideways 8
"
thewombo wrote:

I had no problem with surviving in cruel.

Let me know two things to help you.
1)What is your HP currently at?
2)What are your elemental resists currently at?
Fire resist=?
Cold Resist=?
Lightning resist=?

Play style and knowledge can also be essential here. Knowing what enemies do, the damage they may output, the rare and blue mods that can be rolled, as well as mechanics behind evasion resists and armour, is part of what helps you survive. Late game Frost Wall helps block a lot of spells.

This will help me help you. With Phase Acrobatics you are able to dodge 30% of spells. Spells are further mitigated by your resists, so maxing your resists (75% to fire, cold, lightning resists) is very important.

Elemental Reflect: Maxing your resists helps you here a lot as well. Once your damage gets reflected it has to go through the same resists which helps tremendously. A proper HP pool also helps you survive elemental reflect. If you are still having trouble, use the Life Gain on Hit Gem. I find myself nearly invincible with this gem on(I replace weapon elemental damage when I do this.) It works very well with lightning arrow.

Point Blank: This may help with your problem if you find yourself dieing often to offscreen reflect. It will lower your damage offscreen so you won't be doing as much damage and accidentally dpsing a large group of ele reflect mobs to kill yourself.

I really appreaciate your feedback, I am new to this evade-style character, my first char is melee 1H-shield, so probably still getting used to play this style.

My ele resist is fine at 60-75%, I remember I died because of physical not elemental (which is quickkkk). How high evade should I target for cruel act II-III? I think I need to farm better gear, cause this one just use whatever at my disposal thus really low survivability.
My evade only at 32% Hp at 1220, currently lvl 38. Should I go for armour too? If yes what you suggest for gear to look at as priority? Should I go all eva gear, or balance it with armour and es?

The question about elemental and spells are not based on my current situation, I'm just curious about your build in general. ANNDDDDD then I read that armor do not mitigate spells damage, so my question was kinda dumb,pls ignore it,sorry. Now I know it only affected by elemental resist and phase acrobatic (and other unique gears).

It seems point blank will help me, since I want to kill monsters that I can see faster.

Thank you so much for commenting it really helps put pictures on my brain.
Loving this, going to adopt the pcoc with ice spear for my character, why not add in gmp?

Only thing i fear I might regret with my archer is not taking frenzy charges or blood dance boots, but did it on my other nemesis character already so didn't want to do it twice.

Some great and useful ideas in this build.
I can't get the pcoc with ice spear to work, I have to purposely take damage, having acrobatics phase acro and evasion makes it hard. Any ideas?

edit: not using this anymore, kind of dangerous combo with being on hardcore and corrupted blood mobs.
Last edited by SEOINAGE on Nov 21, 2013, 10:16:57 AM
at bandit reward Q too, so AS or phys damage?
Is frost wall+pierce interaction unintentional? Will this get nerfed?
Hey, two questions. What is the purpose of taking the aura enhancing nodes? This is my first archer character so I don't see any auras in your gems but I probably just don't understand something. Second question, how viable is this build after the CWDT nerfs? What changes have you needed to do to make it viable?
Lots of questions here overnight, I am answering in one post so please bear with me!

"
reks88 wrote:
Made it to cruel in Nemesis so far, plan on getting to Merciless in a few hours. I've had no problems so far. Prioritizing health and resists and grabbing Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics really does wonders. Also helps that my leveling buddy pops Decoy Totem for the scary stuff.

This probably the main thing every needs to focus on when trying out this build on HC leagues. Focus on surviving first and maximizing damage will come after. I think thats how most builds are in HC anyways. :)

"
mrkab wrote:
Around Act 3 Cruel it becomes particularly important to have good resists and Frost Wall on CWDT. That and a decent high damage bow are all you really need. Even a 3L is enough to plow through most content with LA > LMP > FA. A 4L or 5L with Life Leech and Elemental Damage will also help a lot.

Thanks for trying out the build and helping with suggestions. Yes a good bow can double-triple your damage. Frost Wall is very good defensively and can actually end up saving you with its knockback effect.

"
FutureBlues wrote:
Which bandit rewards? I'm guess Oak --> Krait --> skill?

Normal: OAK (definitely)
Cruel: Oak(My suggestion, 18% IPD to help deal more phys to leech, attack speed(Kraityn) comes naturally and doesn't help mana sustain but its your decision. Keep in mind you will gain attack speed from frenzy). Or you can get a skillpoint if you find neither worthwhile.
Merciless: Kraityn(Frenzy) I use frenzy as my single target damage. Charges add substantial damage to frenzy when its 20/20. Your choice between frenzy or skillpoint. I don't recommend power charges because they won't be up all the time as frenzy will be, but if you are making a different build that can take advantage of this its up to you.

"
deimoss wrote:
I'm following your build, currently lvl 51 in cruel a3. No problems so far, as expected.

I would be interest in a small section about what attributes are important for the bow, similar to the one you made for armors. Not sure what too look for other than physical damage.

I'm glad you've tried out my build! Thanks for the suggestion! I will incorporate it into the build.

"
kopisusu wrote:
"
thewombo wrote:

I had no problem with surviving in cruel.

Let me know two things to help you.
1)What is your HP currently at?
2)What are your elemental resists currently at?
Fire resist=?
Cold Resist=?
Lightning resist=?

Play style and knowledge can also be essential here. Knowing what enemies do, the damage they may output, the rare and blue mods that can be rolled, as well as mechanics behind evasion resists and armour, is part of what helps you survive. Late game Frost Wall helps block a lot of spells.

This will help me help you. With Phase Acrobatics you are able to dodge 30% of spells. Spells are further mitigated by your resists, so maxing your resists (75% to fire, cold, lightning resists) is very important.

Elemental Reflect: Maxing your resists helps you here a lot as well. Once your damage gets reflected it has to go through the same resists which helps tremendously. A proper HP pool also helps you survive elemental reflect. If you are still having trouble, use the Life Gain on Hit Gem. I find myself nearly invincible with this gem on(I replace weapon elemental damage when I do this.) It works very well with lightning arrow.

Point Blank: This may help with your problem if you find yourself dieing often to offscreen reflect. It will lower your damage offscreen so you won't be doing as much damage and accidentally dpsing a large group of ele reflect mobs to kill yourself.

I really appreaciate your feedback, I am new to this evade-style character, my first char is melee 1H-shield, so probably still getting used to play this style.

My ele resist is fine at 60-75%, I remember I died because of physical not elemental (which is quickkkk). How high evade should I target for cruel act II-III? I think I need to farm better gear, cause this one just use whatever at my disposal thus really low survivability.
My evade only at 32% Hp at 1220, currently lvl 38. Should I go for armour too? If yes what you suggest for gear to look at as priority? Should I go all eva gear, or balance it with armour and es?

The question about elemental and spells are not based on my current situation, I'm just curious about your build in general. ANNDDDDD then I read that armor do not mitigate spells damage, so my question was kinda dumb,pls ignore it,sorry. Now I know it only affected by elemental resist and phase acrobatic (and other unique gears).

It seems point blank will help me, since I want to kill monsters that I can see faster.

Thank you so much for commenting it really helps put pictures on my brain.

No problem! I appreciate you taking your time to ask questions!

First off, I think you should try out the Grace aura gem. It reserves 60% mana which you can help reduce with a reduced mana gem. In exchange for this it greatly boosts your defense throughout the entire game.

As a melee character, did you use armor? I believe that the benefit of evasion is that you feel slower, harder hits less than armor based characters do with a higher chance of evade. If you are playing similarly to your 1H melee shield character and are attempting to tank damage, that is something that you may be unable to do until you get to late game when you reach a high HP Pool and a high quality Enfeeble, as this further decreases the enemy's hit chance and consequently increases your chance to dodge. Let me know if you need further clarification here, I am not sure if I explained this clearly.

In regards to which type of gear to get, choose any base type with HP+Resists BEFORE you spec into Acrobatics. Once you spec into acrobatics you should only get EV based gear due to the resulting 50% reduced effectiveness of acrobatics to armor and Energy Shield. If you need a 4L with socket colors that do not include green, Feel free to use an armor based glove as gloves do not add a substantial amount of defense.

Your questions are appreciated, I will expand on some sections based on what you inquired about. 99% of spells and elemental reflect(If I run an ele reflect map I use LGoH just in case) are no problem. The only problem is running dangerous map mods(a multiple projectile should be watched out for. Althought this doesn't matter with non spells due to ondars guile, with an additional map mod of vulnerability or minus max resists, a spell damage with mixed phys/elemental such as carrion queens or devourers can become dangerous). Knowing what to watch out for comes with general experience of the game.

"
SEOINAGE wrote:
Loving this, going to adopt the pcoc with ice spear for my character, why not add in gmp?

Only thing i fear I might regret with my archer is not taking frenzy charges or blood dance boots, but did it on my other nemesis character already so didn't want to do it twice.

Some great and useful ideas in this build.

Because of the color rolls I got on my equipment. I deal with whichever rolls I get. If it works then I keep it rather than investing a huge amount of chromatics to be perfect. In standard where I can sell chromatics 10:1chaos, this cost is very expensive! Especially for my lowish-budget build :) Also, I don't like casting curses myself so I'm fine with enfeeble in there. If things were perfect I would probably have CWDT-Frost Wall-Increased duration- Enfeeble and CWDT-Ice spear-PCoC-GMP/increased critical strikes.

"
SEOINAGE wrote:
I can't get the pcoc with ice spear to work, I have to purposely take damage, having acrobatics phase acro and evasion makes it hard. Any ideas?

edit: not using this anymore, kind of dangerous combo with being on hardcore and corrupted blood mobs.

Yes, I play this on standard and I tank damage on purpose for power charges. At the end point of my build adding damage comes hard as there are no GREAT nodes to get that are immediately nearby as I've gotten most of them. Thus having a power charge every once in a while(which adds a good amount of damage is great!). 20 Quality is very effective on the Power Charge on Critical gem. What you can do if you have a free 4L and don't mind macroing for charges what I used to do was Frenzy-GMP-PCoC-Increased Critical Strikes. This way I built frenzy and power charges at the same time. However I'm lazy and don't like microing :D

Thank you for the questions! Feel free to ask more :)

"
kopisusu wrote:
at bandit reward Q too, so AS or phys damage?

Thanks for your question! I answered this above! Enjoy!

"
eirstryder wrote:
Is frost wall+pierce interaction unintentional? Will this get nerfed?

I can't say because I am not the game developer. However, Lightning Arrow behaves the same when you hit a wall(eg if brutus is right next to the wall, the LMP-lightning arrow combo that hits the wall will proc and hit brutus. If they made frost wall to behave simliarly to an actual wall, then I think this may be intentional(?). Maybe if I get famous this will get nerfed. If it does it makes frost wall a bit less viable but only GGG can comment on that :D

"
Linkinator wrote:
Hey, two questions. What is the purpose of taking the aura enhancing nodes? This is my first archer character so I don't see any auras in your gems but I probably just don't understand something. Second question, how viable is this build after the CWDT nerfs? What changes have you needed to do to make it viable?

AH! I forgot to add the Aura links in the build! haha sorry about that I will add it in as soon as possible! I use Reduced Mana-Grace-Wrath in my Alpha's Howl(+2 level to auras/8% reduced reservation). The nodes greatly increase the damage from wrath and defenses from grace.

CWDT nerfs have only affected this build a little. I thought it was ruined, however the level restrictions do NOT affect support gems, so I can use a high level PCoC and a high level increased Duration. This is great! :) The only thing that was affected was the level of my frost wall. I lowered it to proc on double the original damage taken to increase the frost wall duration/distance(440 dmg vs 880 now). This is preference and can be changed according to what people feel they need. However with this adjustment I feel comfortable.

Thanks for asking questions!

All of these are great! Will help improve the guide for new players! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info