753 people have beta access

"
freakky wrote:
Heck I saw them post 42 people online at once was a new record for them. I was just shocked they couldn't in house test that many people. I gave up after that for the most part. I just check in and post once while in hopes to still get a beta key. I rather not get into laggy server to much anyways if it is. Just wait till they are more ready I guess.

what would a laggy server mean anyways? slower cast rate?
"
kurple wrote:
"
freakky wrote:
Heck I saw them post 42 people online at once was a new record for them. I was just shocked they couldn't in house test that many people. I gave up after that for the most part. I just check in and post once while in hopes to still get a beta key. I rather not get into laggy server to much anyways if it is. Just wait till they are more ready I guess.

what would a laggy server mean anyways? slower cast rate?

Seriously?

Is this a real question?
"
Covert wrote:
The client currently shares server space with the website. So when you noobs stop coming here for a beta key or to insult GGG it will free up more space for us testers.

Wow ... does your pic show up under a** kisser in the dictionary...lol
And when does being a beta tester make you a non-noob with the presumption that someone who is looking to be a beta tester must be a noob?
"
PW_Shea wrote:
Well, I asked the question on Twitter if the concern for throttling down the timer was that 753 (or some large percentage of the 753 and counting) logged in all at once or what. We'll see if there's a response.

Twitter POE manager is saying that there is "plenty to do with 100" people online. I'm sure all of us will get in at some point, just not in the next few days... This is CB after all, and those tend to be a much smaller pool.
There are dozens of systems that can each have bottlenecks. For example, while we could probably handle 30,000 people playing right now, we wouldn't be able to handle many more people patching the game. We're working on fixes to each of these bottlenecks and will add more people as we go.

The goal is to test with restricted hardware and then scale up later. If we know we can fit 500 people on one server, then that's very valuable for when we get more machines.

Don't worry, it's all going according to schedule!

Edit: Also, having 100 people online out of 750 accounts is actually very high. For starters, at least a couple of hundred accounts are completely idle because they're arbitrary journalists, testing accounts or duplicate Alpha test accounts. Secondly, people can't actually play 24/7 - they have jobs, school and sleep. The numbers we're getting at the moment imply a very high rate of concurrency and player addictedness :P
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Aug 11, 2011, 11:00:04 PM
Also, anyone notice that the counter seems to rubber band around a bit? Like up to 15.5 min and down to 15 again?
"
PW_Shea wrote:
Also, anyone notice that the counter seems to rubber band around a bit? Like up to 15.5 min and down to 15 again?

We added a little variance to stop it killing our website when it fetches a new name for everyone.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
There are dozens of systems that can each have bottlenecks. For example, while we could probably handle 30,000 people playing right now, we wouldn't be able to handle many more people patching the game. We're working on fixes to each of these bottlenecks and will add more people as we go.

The goal is to test with restricted hardware and then scale up later. If we know we can fit 500 people on one server, then that's very valuable for when we get more machines.

Don't worry, it's all going according to schedule!

Yeah, I'm not trying to cause trouble here or act like you should have made more infrastructure available. I'm just interested in the mechanics of this whole populating the server and all of that. I think it may be my way of distracting myself from the fact that I'm not playing :)

Anyway, we all look forward to the game, obviously. Great work.

Edit: And thanks for answering the questions. You've been really responsive and open.
Last edited by PW_Shea on Aug 11, 2011, 11:01:27 PM
I plan to be the next one :D
"
We added a little variance to stop it killing our website when it fetches a new name for everyone.

So that's why..

Cheering for you Umberto!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info