ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
Thotor wrote:
I am very interested in your build for the Invasion league. I can clearly see the appeal in evasion/block.
In invasion, we have access to a unique quiver with very high defensive stat including block and spell block chance : http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rearguard
Do you believe this would be viable using a Bow ?

Hey man, thank you for the interest in the build.

Rearguard initially looked interesting to me, but we will not be able to get much block just using the quiver. The problem with block (and dodge) is that you need a good amount of it - because it is completely random - to be effective. This quiver looks like it was made for armor-based archers that could not reach Acrobatics / Phase Acrobatics, but the block chance is very low and may not be as useful as just getting Acrobatics / Phase Acrobatics.

I would just stick with Acro / Phase Acro + evasion for your ranged build. Unfortunately I do not play a lot of archer builds so my knowledge is lacking in terms of the tree and gear required for archers.

This is an old question from Thotor about the quiver, but I've changed by mind about Rearguard after doing some more thinking, these are my damage avoidance calculations that you can get with Rearguard for a ranged character:

Chance to avoid attack damage = 1 - [ (1-0.4)x(1-0.24) ] = 54% chance to avoid attack damage
Chance to avoid spell damage = 1 - [ (1-0.46)x(1-0.27) ] = 61% chance to avoid spell damage

This is insane. It is a bit off-topic to this thread so I posted my thoughts on JunKx's thread here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/550606/page/15#p7502071

Shameless plug:
Sorry for the plug, but wanted to let you guys know: I am selling Atziri's Step for 4ex. I only have 3 left. This is very cheap and most prices on poexyz range from 7ex to 12ex+.

Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/871137/page/1
Last edited by Ceryneian on Apr 6, 2014, 8:34:40 AM
any one can tell me what is the name of the weapon effect on the 1st page screenshot?

EDIT:

i think it is the :
Arctic Weapon Effect
do someone know if they ver goes on sale?
SHOP : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/682434
Last edited by xenochaos1 on Apr 6, 2014, 6:49:11 PM
Hey im having a hard time with this build atm. DPS is 7k atm and Crit is not high enough, also sometimes i take too much damage.

Here is my gear idk if i should change something to make it better, there are few better daggers than this one on invasion atm. I still need to get gems to quality 20

Gear:

Spoiler

Passive:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAtAEfgSxBbUF-QguDkgRlhXwFr8a2xutHhoegSP2JDwknSaVJ6koKjBUMHEyATpCOlg94kjuSTtJUUp9S3hLjUxgVUtW-lpIWm1e-mHiYlpirGegbXtwUnRBdK5313iufXV_K3_GhxmHdofbjDaP-pVmmVebJpuNnaOdqqOKpn-nNKdcsbOyGbTFtUi307vjwFHC7MSixqLN6s96037UI9aK1p3Xy9tV3aje9uOE53To1usU7UHuDu_w8-r5Y_yr_MX-uv8c_5M=

EDIT: Also, additional accuracy just gives me 9% more chance to hit atm (level 17) is it really worth it? Sacrificing a gem spot for 9% more accuracy? I guess with the quality it would give me some Crit Chance but in that case i could use Increase Crit Chance
Last edited by JerryVoy on Apr 6, 2014, 8:53:15 PM
"
xenochaos1 wrote:
any one can tell me what is the name of the weapon effect on the 1st page screenshot?

EDIT:

i think it is the :
Arctic Weapon Effect
do someone know if they ver goes on sale?

It is Divine Weapon Effect. It was part of the previous supporter packs before the current supporter packs. I do not believe it is available any more.
"
JerryVoy wrote:
Hey im having a hard time with this build atm. DPS is 7k atm and Crit is not high enough, also sometimes i take too much damage.

Here is my gear idk if i should change something to make it better, there are few better daggers than this one on invasion atm. I still need to get gems to quality 20

Gear:

Spoiler

Passive:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAtAEfgSxBbUF-QguDkgRlhXwFr8a2xutHhoegSP2JDwknSaVJ6koKjBUMHEyATpCOlg94kjuSTtJUUp9S3hLjUxgVUtW-lpIWm1e-mHiYlpirGegbXtwUnRBdK5313iufXV_K3_GhxmHdofbjDaP-pVmmVebJpuNnaOdqqOKpn-nNKdcsbOyGbTFtUi307vjwFHC7MSixqLN6s96037UI9aK1p3Xy9tV3aje9uOE53To1usU7UHuDu_w8-r5Y_yr_MX-uv8c_5M=

EDIT: Also, additional accuracy just gives me 9% more chance to hit atm (level 17) is it really worth it? Sacrificing a gem spot for 9% more accuracy? I guess with the quality it would give me some Crit Chance but in that case i could use Increase Crit Chance

Hi, thanks for post. Your gear looks good.
- Damage: if you want more damage take out Additional Accuracy and use any of the other damage gems I mention in guide: Weapon Elemental Damage, Increased Crit Damage, Increased Crit Chance, PCOC, Lightning Penetration, etc. I list many in the guide. Feel free to use what you like. WED, and Lightning Pen. I feel give the most damage increase. I would argue that Lightning Pen. is probably the best to use because of how many mobs have elemental resistances - some of which I am sure are capped at 75%, who knows maybe even some bosses are overcapped above 75% resistances - such that curses like Elemental Weakness and Conductivity will have little effect in lowering their resistances below 75%. Lightning Pen. will destroy them, but it has a very high mana multiplier and it will not show any increase on your tooltip
- The tooltip for Lightning Strike is misleading because it is only factoring in the melee attack, you can calculate your projectile damage and add that to the DPS to see what the true DPS of Lightning Strike really is. Please note: you have to consider mana issues because some of the above gems have heavy mana multipliers
- Taking too much damage: make sure you get a Jade flask so you can increase your evasion during fights. ALTERNATIVELY: fight from range. You do not have to fight in melee. Yes you will have lower DPS using ranged form, but it is much safer. That is the whole point of the Lightning Strike build - if you always want to play as melee just use a melee skill instead like Double Strike / Reave - you will have higher tooltip DPS if that is what you are looking for.
- I also notice you are missing several block nodes on the tree, these would be helpful to get to benefit your regular defense and your spell defense
- Also - why are you using Lightning Warp? You should be using Whirling Blades because it has much better mobility for fights. If you really want to use Lightning Warp - link it with Reduced Duration and Faster Casting, but Whirling Blades is way better for survivability

- Additional Accuracy: this gem is amazing for any crit build. Not only does it have no mana multiplier, it also gives some decent crit chance on quality. Also remember that your crits are ROLLED TWICE - so your hit check is checked twice before you can crit, per hit. Here is an example: suppose you make a hit that has a critical strike attached. This is what I believe your chance to actually land a crit with 80% chance to hit, and 90% chance to hit are. Someone let me know if my math is wrong, but I believe this is right:
0.8x0.8= 64% chance to hit with successful crit
0.9x0.9 = 81% chance to hit with successful crit

So you can see why Additional Accuracy is powerful for crit builds: increasing your chance to hit by 11% from 80% to 90% (11% increase), gives you a 27% increase for landing successful crits.

Anyway, good luck with the build and feel free to change things as you like.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Apr 6, 2014, 9:35:09 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
JerryVoy wrote:

Gear:

Spoiler

Passive:

Spoiler

Hi, thanks for post. Your gear looks good.
- Damage: if you want more damage take out Additional Accuracy and use any of the other damage gems I mention in guide: Weapon Elemental Damage, Increased Crit Damage, Increased Crit Chance, PCOC, Lightning Penetration, etc. I list many in the guide. Feel free to use what you like. WED, and Lightning Pen. I feel give the most damage increase. I would argue that Lightning Pen. is probably the best to use because of how many mobs have elemental resistances - some of which I am sure are capped at 75%, who knows maybe even some bosses are overcapped above 75% resistances - such that curses like Elemental Weakness and Conductivity will have little effect in lowering their resistances below 75%. Lightning Pen. will destroy them, but it has a very high mana multiplier and it will not show any increase on your tooltip
- The tooltip for Lightning Strike is misleading because it is only factoring in the melee attack, you can calculate your projectile damage and add that to the DPS to see what the true DPS of Lightning Strike really is. Please note: you have to consider mana issues because some of the above gems have heavy mana multipliers
- Taking too much damage: make sure you get a Jade flask so you can increase your evasion during fights. ALTERNATIVELY: fight from range. You do not have to fight in melee. Yes you will have lower DPS using ranged form, but it is much safer. That is the whole point of the Lightning Strike build - if you always want to play as melee just use a melee skill instead like Double Strike / Reave - you will have higher tooltip DPS if that is what you are looking for.
- I also notice you are missing several block nodes on the tree, these would be helpful to get to benefit your regular defense and your spell defense
- Also - why are you using Lightning Warp? You should be using Whirling Blades because it has much better mobility for fights. If you really want to use Lightning Warp - link it with Reduced Duration and Faster Casting, but Whirling Blades is way better for survivability

- Additional Accuracy: this gem is amazing for any crit build. Not only does it have no mana multiplier, it also gives some decent crit chance on quality. Also remember that your crits are ROLLED TWICE - so your hit check is checked twice before you can crit, per hit. Here is an example: suppose you make a hit that has a critical strike attached. This is what I believe your chance to actually land a crit with 80% chance to hit, and 90% chance to hit are. Someone let me know if my math is wrong, but I believe this is right:
0.8x0.8= 64% chance to hit with successful crit
0.9x0.9 = 81% chance to hit with successful crit

So you can see why Additional Accuracy is powerful for crit builds: increasing your chance to hit by 11% from 80% to 90% (11% increase), gives you a 27% increase for landing successful crits.

Anyway, good luck with the build and feel free to change things as you like.

Hey thanks for the answer. My crit chance is 24% atm and i thought that was to low to use the flask with the +1 charge when u deal a crit strike but its seems i can fullfill it pretty easy so as you said i will use the Jade Flask during fights. Only problem is i cant get power charges with whirling blades linked with PCoC, the gem is only level 4 and as i level it up and raise the quality it should be easier.

I realised i made a mistake when following the tree u posted for the shadow (took the melee phys damage nodes from the Ranger instead of the Eva/Life nodes) Fixing that and refunding a passive skill point i invested in +30 int (which i dont really need cause i have the ammy) i would be at 4.808 HP and now im at 4426.

I had a level 18 reduce mana and a level 17 clarity, if i link Reduce mana to Hatred and Clarity i have enough mana to cast LS forever i dont really need a Mana Flask atm.

My Stats ATM:

HP: 4808
Tooltip DPS: 7728
Chance to Crit: 24.8
Chance to Block Attacks: 63%
Chance to Block Spells: 57%
Evasion with Grace: 7989 (42%) - (With Jade Flask 15099)

Now i have 2 options, i could go for the Shield Block Circle between the Shadow - Ranger Area:

Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYAAF4EfgSxBbUF-QbpCC4JIQ5IEZYV8Ba_GY4a2xutHhoegSP2JDwknSaVJ2EnqSgqMFQwcTIBNns6QjpYPeJI7kk7SVFKfUt4S41MYFVLVvpaSFptXvph4mJaYqxnoG17cFJ0QXfXeK59dX8rf8aHGYd2h9uMNo_6lWaZV5smm42do52qo4qmf6c0p1yxs7IZtKO0xbVIt9O748BRwuzEosaizerPetN-1CPWitad18vaPd2o3vbjhOd06NbtQe2D7g7v8PPq-WP8q_zF_rr_HP-T

Or go for the Crit Nodes on the right of the Shaow Area:

Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgYAAF4EfgSxBbUF-QguDkgRlhXwFr8ZjhrbG60eGh6BI_YkPCSdJpUnqSgqMFQwcTIBNns6QjpYPeJI7kk7SVFKfUt4S41MYFVLVvVW-lpIWm1e-mHiYlpirGegbXtwUnRBd9d4rn11feN_K3_GhxmHdofbjDaP-pVml9CZV5smm42do52qo4qmf6c0p1yxs7IZtKO0xbVIt9O5PrvjwFHC7MSixqLN6s96037UI9aK1p3Xy9tu3aje9uOE53To1u1B7YPuDu_w8-r5Y_yr_MX-uv8c_5M=

Which option should i take? (also if u want to modify any other side of my tree feel free to do it!)

EDIT: Just made the call and took the Shield Nodes i think they are far more important than the DPS Crit Circle on the right of the Shadow Area.

Atm i cant use Grace + Hatred because i keep running out of Mana but i will try to buy some gloves with 2% phys damage leeched back as mana to see if thats enough.
Last edited by JerryVoy on Apr 8, 2014, 6:49:05 AM
Hi,
Thanks for very nice build you posted :) What are your opinion about using spectral throw in this build? Is it possible? Good luck.
Running 2 60% auras is a stretch in this build without soul taker. The good thing is that both Hatred and Grace are green gems, so you can swap one for the other as you like.

For the lightning strike build you really only need Hatred. I am running purity of ice as well because I have not balanced my resistances on gear yet
"
sutverejas wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for very nice build you posted :) What are your opinion on using spectral throw in this build? It possible? Good luck.

It is good for leveling, however it does not work well for combat because it is bad for single target. UNLESS you build for high damage by going low life crown of eyes OR using 2H so that you have 6L for AOE spectral throw and separate 6L for single target.

If you try to do the above you will never be able to get dodge, max block, and/or decent evasion because the trees and gears limit you.

This is why I believe lightning strike is the best to use in this case. Your melee strike is your single target at 120% damage effectiveness, you get free projectiles that give you AOE and ranged ability. You also DO NOT need Vaal Pact which saves you many points on tree because reflect is not an issue.
Extensively redoing the guide:

Seems lightning strike build is more popular than the original axe build. I will be EXTENSIVELY revamping the guide to give greater emphasis on LS. Moving it up, redoing leveling, adjusting recommended items and gems and curses, giving more detail on LS mrchanics, and LS vids of hard maps!

Will move axe build down to 2nd post, and will be condensing it.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Apr 8, 2014, 11:42:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info