Bloom in Path of Exile

:(
█▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀
█▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀
▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀
My Harvest Bloom Story:

I logged in after patch and was instantly blinded. After asking on streams and reading forums I found that this new bloom (which I had previously disabled) was now forced on. My game looked grey hazy and washed out in some zones and blinding and glowy in most of the others. I turned it to slight but it didn't fix any of the issues I was seeing it just made them slightly less annoying.

I tried to give harvest a chance but aside from the league itself having issues and the mixed reaction from the player-base I couldn't deal with this bloom setting. I play these type of games for more hours than I probably should and it was physically uncomfortable to play with this new bloom on. My eyes watered up and I had trouble trying to focus. It felt like my screen was dirty in some areas and I needed to squint or in others like I was staring into a flashlight and burning my retinas.

This has nothing to do with artist intention. Think of the best looking games of the last year or even 10 years from any major developer, none of them force bloom on me and I'm unaware of any of them claiming that their artistic vision is being suppressed when I opt to turn it off in settings. The idea that an artist would say they can't make something look good without making it hazy or glowing is both ignorant and verifiably false as we have countless examples that prove otherwise.

This bloom issue can be resolved with a toggle, but the trust in your company is in more serious peril. You had a poor response to the stash tab controversy, and now you are lying about bloom and how its mandatory to make good looking assets.

I stopped playing harvest early due to this new bloom and won't be back to poe overall unless I get an option to disable it and more importantly see that as a whole, the direction of the company shifts back toward honesty with the players and not this recent corporate pr bs.
HC IGN: Sirona_
IGN: Sirona
"
TwentyFiveEX wrote:
Time and time again, the highly vocal toxic small minority on Reddit gets the most attention.. Disappointing.

How is asking for the option not to go blind toxic? Try delving at night in a dark room and throw some flares for a couple of hours.
GGG's answer is literaly: "We understand bloom annoys and hurts some players,but our MTXs look so much better and people want to buy them so we'll leave it on".
"
ImPump wrote:
my wife left me for Orlando Bloom

Too soon.
I'm still wondering why it took multiple threads here and on Reddit before we had any REAL communication from GGG.

You could have at least made an announcement post a WHILE back stating you knew there was an issue and that you were working on it.

Instead, you leave your customers in the dark, which leads to an explosion of unneeded discussion.
The Lab, making a great game good since 2016.
I am not affected by this but I don't see the issue with adding slider options to allow more people to enjoy your game in a way that is comfortable for them.

With vision related issues you are never going to find a rigid option set that will please everyone. There are variables beyond the game that will affect how a person reacts such as light sensitivity and even age can be a factor.

Allowing folks to adjust bloom via a slider lets them choose what is comfortable as they can adjust with those factors in mind.

Artistic vision is all well and good but when the cost of which is some folks getting headaches and eye strain you need to offer options or accept you will lose some of your audience. Sadly given the response posted it seems you are aiming for the second one which is disappointing.

Tldr:. Options are never a bad thing.
"
wullack wrote:
WOW, just WOW.

Here's GGG giving a detailed and thorough explanation as to why they can't just turn the Bloom effect off and the reply to this is "wHy cAn'T i TuRN it oFf??!!^^111".

GGG: Thank you for the explanation! For me the "slight" option works just fine. The game looks better than before the patch.

Did you actually read what she wrote?

Because what she wrote can be summarized as "we can't turn bloom off because we really really want things to look like Bloom" which is actually not a reason at all. People would be fine with turning it off *without* adding bloom particles back.
"
Orcasauce wrote:
I'll distill down my distaste with excessive bloom, and that's what my problem is with, "excessive bloom", not "bloom in general":

1) When there are extensive sources of bloom (spell cascade, volatile dead+detonate dead + spell slinger) there is so much bloom that it all merges into one massive cloud that emulates a haze sitting between me and the art. This makes it feel like I'm playing the game through a dirty monitor with a net result that the game just looks washed out and many game mechanic telegraphs become unreadable. Sacrificing the readability of a game to make it "look better" falls into a category of "simulation over gameplay". In this scenario game quality takes a back seat to making things look "more real" to fulfill some misguided belief that "graphics" are the ultimate goal of game quality. The game already had a bad rap for excessive on-screen spell clutter, and this makes it worse. One fire ball is pretty, 3 fire balls is very bright, thirty fireballs with my friends magma orb and a swarm of flaming arrows is a cacophony of madness that needs to be toned down. Restraint is the ultimate skill of an artist and in this case we need the ability to limit how much bloom impacts spells when many many instances of the spell are on screen at once.

2) I actually agree the new bloom does, in fact, look great. Just because something is great doesn't mean every single element on screen needs to become an emitter of that thing. It also doesn't mean that you can naively ignore the impact on core game elements. Not everything is a blooming light source. Not everything emits equal amounts of light. Plants on the ground shouldn't be blooming like cathedral stained glass windows. Not everything needs to pretend it is a light source as bright as the sun. And everything doesn't need to pretend it is a light source when it is clearly not.

3) You honestly cannot expect the majority of players to be able to quantify such exactly what is causing "excessive bloom" in such a fast paced game in a forum post to help you sort out what looks bad. Most players won't take the time to articulate to you what looks bad. They'll just tell their friends to play Diablo 3 because it looks better than Path of Exile. Only the real fans that truely desperately don't want to stop playing the game are going to go out of their way to try and make their degraded experience workable. Everyone else will just assume the game looks bad and not waste their time trying to interact with the developers who have retreated to only communicating in snark or Blizzard/Riot Games-esque "we know what is fun better than you" manifestos.

edit:

4) It actively makes me want to take off my purchased mtx effects because they make it harder to see what is happening on screen.

edit edit:

bloom should be subtle, if it's spewing haze particles all over the screen "so you can see it" you've put too much icing on the cake.

Agreed, except the D3 part. D3 looks like a hanging ball sack from a troll. Sorry, but PoE is already better even without the complete PoE2 overhaul, with or without bloom.

Just, tone it down. Actually, no need to even tone it down. Give us a slider and let us control it.

ps, I understand that light emitting from an object is hard for some people to understand is different to light reflecting off an object, hence the bloom on say a metallic surface, but guys, chill out a little. I teleport into my hideout that I have a few rays of light on the waypoint and smoke on the ground and it looks like I am in Merlins smoke and somewhere in the background I can hear the words "analnathrah uvarspethud" as he calls the Dragons mist upon me xD
"
codetaku wrote:
"
wullack wrote:
WOW, just WOW.

Here's GGG giving a detailed and thorough explanation as to why they can't just turn the Bloom effect off and the reply to this is "wHy cAn'T i TuRN it oFf??!!^^111".

GGG: Thank you for the explanation! For me the "slight" option works just fine. The game looks better than before the patch.

Did you actually read what she wrote?

Because what she wrote can be summarized as "we can't turn bloom off because we really really want things to look like Bloom" which is actually not a reason at all. People would be fine with turning it off *without* adding bloom particles back.

Yeah, seriously Wullack, what are you on about? They outright just tell us "you know, our artists and devs feel that this is what it should look like".... that is anything but what you just said.

Also, they can turn it off, they simply don't want to. Is the summary. Because even when turning it off, they actually aren't, as they are thinking of reverting AGAIN to bloom effects just in the old way... That does not sound like "we can't turn it off" to me. It sounds more like "we can't turn it off AND turn the old system on because too much work.... what? just turn it off you say? forget the old system? yeah, we like it like this"...

Then why ask us our opinion if you like it like this?

Slider... That is all we need. Slider.

I don't think I have played any game that has bloom that doesn't allow me to turn it off and even more control it with a slider. That is a half excuse, sorry, but not sorry. I don't see any of those games suffering from it, and many of them are outright focused on graphics as the main selling point to their titles.

I think GGG can manage it just fine on an isometric RPG with an option to be able to cater to all subjective tastes on the matter.
Last edited by HazaRdReborN on Jul 17, 2020, 3:07:18 PM
I left my setting at Slight and have no critisim so far

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info