Path of Exile Lore: Questions and Answers - Part One

"
Jerle wrote:
I wish POE lore is less fragmented and has a more coherent thread running through them.

Well in reality PoE lore is a recent concept. In the beginning there was just a vague idea and stuff was added according to the needs of each league. These addons had no cohesion and severed only their leagues.

They've only recently started to try to present some cohesive lore but that's very hard without changing some of the random stuff that don't fit.

To make a truly cohesive story a reboot is probably needed and we might get that in PoE2. Still it's hard for a game to constantly add stuff that the devs will think of in the future but still stick to some central preexisting story.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
Last edited by Aias_o_Telamonios on Nov 12, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
thanks cleared some of my questions.
I would like to know about the lore of the darkness in the azurite mines
Now the qustion that we really want an answer for:

Is the World of Wraeclast FLAT???
I'd like more Atziri lore and Vaal Letters honestly...
"
Mindelo wrote:
Wtf is this game design where you have to learn mechanics and lore from external resources?

There is always gaps in game knowledge and lore in every game (warframe, WoW, FF14, skyrim, etc..). If you are referring to KittenCatNoodle's video's, while masterfully done, is simply compiling information found in-game in an easy to understand video.
Several years ago an exile named "Pableras" has been collecting information about the Path of Exile Lore. You can see it on youtube as adngamer https://www.youtube.com/user/adngamerES. I recommend them.
"
Where did all the Virtue Gems come from? Was the Beast the reason behind their creation? How many virtue gems are there?
The Virtue Gems are all sourced from mines on Mount Veruso, under Highgate. It is impossible to be completely certain with the limited tomes I have available on the subject, but the Beast’s presence under that mountain and the fact that Virtue Gems cannot be found anywhere else in the world does indeed suggest a connection. The number of Virtue Gems in existence cannot be ascertained, any more than one might count the grains of sand on a beach.

I hate to come off has a lore snob, given I have what I consider a passing if complete-enough understand of the lore - but how is this not rather obvious from even a single playthrough?

The gems, at least in the original form, are shards of a god-like being (the beast) and that is why they are magical and permit mortals to do amazing things (with some tinkering for different affects).
"
"
Jerle wrote:
I wish POE lore is less fragmented and has a more coherent thread running through them.

Well in reality PoE lore is a recent concept. In the beginning there was just a vague idea and stuff was added according to the needs of each league. These addons had no cohesion and severed only their leagues.

They've only recently started to try to present some cohesive lore but that's very hard without changing some of the random stuff that don't fit.

To make a truly cohesive story a reboot is probably needed and we might get that in PoE2. Still it's hard for a game to constantly add stuff that the devs will think of in the future but still stick to some central preexisting story.

I am not sure I agree - the back story of the continent and the smaller one seemed mostly complete pretty early on and they seem to do a good enough of job of making expansions feel like they fit.

Of course, maybe the fragmentation the OP is talking about is more about how you learn stuff, which is out of order - but given what your path from the beach to the mountain ends up being, there is no reason for it to come cleanly and in any more sensible order than what makes sense for the areas you visit and in what order.
You should totally give us the opportunity to get the audio logs from the game and include them into the Path of Exile Soundtrack!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info