Development Stories: Path of Exile 2 Narrative Design Philosophies

When I first played PoE, it was in its beta infancy. I did not get far. The graphics were substandard for the day, the gameplay was punishing to beginners, and there was zero story. Of those flaws, the one I could not forgive was the story. Some sort of narrative could have kept me plugging along, but it was non-existent. I grew bored within a couple sessions and went on to play other games. I came to PoE after Diablo 2 and Titan Quest both of which had far superior storylines. Today, there is a narrative arc present in the campaign. To be honest, it's not great. It has, however, continually improved in scope, coherence, and quality over the years of its development. It's become more complex and richer to match the game system itself.

I restarted playing PoE in Harbinger league and have played every league since. All I ask, is that GGG doesn't treat the narrative as an afterthought. Story is not sweet and decorative icing on the cake; it is the cake. If you wonder why people skip the dialogue and other narrative elements, there's more than one answer but really only one within your control. Some people don't like to read--fuck them, they're stupid and/or lazy. Some people play a game only for the actual gameplay elements: build, smash, loot, build, smash, loot, ad infinitum ad nauseum. I don't know what to say about these types. Maybe, "Go get 'em, Tiger, I guess..." One element is within your control, and initially, GGG flubbed it. That's the quality. You created all these dialogues and monuments out in the game space. They amounted to a whole lot of interesting world building, but world building is not the same as story telling. Even today, game events hold together by the flimsiest of threads. Don't get me wrong, it's better, much much better.

The world is now built. Please don't make the same mistakes in PoE2. If you want me to continue into the future, start with a story. Give me some possible goals and let me achieve them in one way or another. Start with quality writing, good dialogue, and great characters. Maybe then people won't skip it all--at least not on the first few playthroughs anyway. The game has improved drastically over time, please bring the same quality to the campaign story. Good luck to you in the coming years.

Best,
BW
It would be a great idea to have some quests that based on player choices have different sub-plot storylines that end up in different permanent rewards like in the act II's bandit quest.
That would give meaningful roleplay decisions without getting on the way of players that don't care about the story (since they'll just learn what to do without engaging with dialog).
If expanded enough (and if balanced properly, unlike the poor bandits xD) it could really enhance replayability.

Anyways, even if you slip here and there, you all have proven to us that you have the tools and the mindset to make PoE an even greater game. PoE 2 will show the true passion GGG has for their game and bring ARPGs to new horizons, I am sure of it.
Blood aqueduct but dry. ;>
I want more of the excelent voice lines we have until act4. Those always grab my attention.

Touch me Duelist!
i love it
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░ We Miss U Le Toucan
Very nice. But with only 2 acts PoE2 seems soo far away. Sadge
Quick question: are PoE2 seperate totally from PoE1 or there is some transufion vaal alike mechanic (joke) to continue story with our PoE1 exile?
...all beautiful. It would be perfect for me who am Italian (and I have no problems with English) to be able to see everything even with only Italian subtitles.
However good GGG.
http://i.imgur.com/FBMwTah.jpg
I want to see what happened to Grigor! Also, would be cool to revisit solaris and Lunaris temple, along with seeing what happened to the inhabitants of Lioneye's Watch.
I'd like to see what happened to Nessa - how's life as a mermaid these days?

And also is Tasuni still smarting that I gave that feather to Irasha?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info