Development Stories: Path of Exile 2 Narrative Design Philosophies

would love to see yeena again and see how the years changed her
Hinekora is another one, since she seens older than all other gods, and not as affected by the beast

other than that i would love to see more of the corruption behind wraeclast, it seemed to be the beast and how people misused its power, but considering how kitava did a cataclysm in oriath very similar to the one made by malacai in sarn, it feels as though we have not seen the whole picture

oh yeah, also, whats up with that whirlpool in the southern forest? will it still be there in 10 years time?
Last edited by Gouresdo1 on Apr 23, 2021, 12:38:37 PM
What I don't want to see return: I don't want to fight Piety, Shavronne, Doedre or Maligaro ever again. It's repetitive, boring and tiresome.

What I do want to see again: Where did Grigor go? What's up with Yeena? How's Lily Roth hanging in there? Where did Sin and Innocence get off to?

on returning characters:
i know they're both dead but i'd wanna see Piety and especially Dialla somehow; i'd kill for more Dialla

more realistically, i'd like to see Catarina ascend to ultimate power as she always deserved, plus her compatriots It That Fled and Hillock, they oughtta show up again. i'd like to see Einhar doing well, too. i'd like to see what the Witch and the Templar are up to, they have the most interesting backstories of the classes. it'd be cool to see Niko once he's totally lost it. and my girl the Maven should be in there for sure; she's just so enthusiastic, it's infectious! oh, and Niles and Vinderi if they're still around, which they should be because they're cool

basically, i'd like to see way more emphasis on the weirdos and freaks that the PoE world creates and way less emphasis on the Helena/Nessa/Tarkleigh/Sin generic fantasy archetypes. what i really want out of PoE2 in terms of story is for it to play up the strangeness and uniqueness of this great setting. less act 1 and more act 4.
Last edited by The_Wuggly_Ump on Apr 23, 2021, 12:42:04 PM
NEED CGI !!

That kitava video showing up is rubbish, it looks like it is in 144p.
in terms of places and people, what would you most like to see again from Path of Exile 1?

None. one of the main failures of PoE1, was the constant need to re-do the same quests and locations over and over again. While early, on, and on the first couple play throughs, there were characters and events i liked, at this point, i only look at them with bitter contempt.

I understand that story and perspective are extremely important to the game, but those things lose their value. Even with a dynamic response system that you are proposing here, its likely that many players will be bored with it fairly quickly.

the other risk, is that you re-create situations like the bandit fights.
Bandit fights are the illusion of choice. the reality is, you do whatever outcome is best for your character progression, not whatever outcome you personally think is best.

thats always been sorta the hangup i have had with games that have different outcomes. as players we often care more about the permanent result of something, thus artificially restricting our ability to play freely, since we cant, we are constrained by the possible result. on the other hand, you can have systems where no choice matters at all, and players just feel its meaningless.

I was playing Fallout 76, and they handled this in a sorta decent way. assuming you want one result, but choose another, there will still be a path later to also get the result you wanted. Similar to how you have the book of remorse. but in 76's case, it wasnt the undoing of one result to replace another, instead it was earn one thing easy, but make another thing harder to obtain. in the end, if you want, you can still have both.

that said... reuse all of PoE1 content as you see fit, but please give us ways to avoid slogging through it over and over again.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
So does this mean we're still going to have to sit through the Templar having no reaction whatsoever to having to fight his god, or nah?
Awakened Combustion Support when?
The best think about POEs lore is the relationship between Malachai and his servents and how the story was built from act 1 to 4.

Now, I would like to see more about Sarn, Vaal and the Ezomyte. We know that Sarn was built upon Vaal ruins and the Ezomytes are the ancestors of Sarn Empire.

The Vaal had a peaceful relationship with the Ezomyte but they still had this desperate need to mine gems. How did they don't enslaved the Ezomyte? It was because of their physical power? I don't know.

What about Doryani? Did he escaped from death just like Atziri? Will he come back as some kind of King or Lord from another empire or civilization that he conquered or fooled? Does he still serve Atziri?

Is the beast still alive and corrupting people from its seeds? Those are some lore that I want to see if POE 2 will have any clues xD
The one thing I want to see PoE2 bring is making party mapping viable again like it was the first 1-2 years PoE was released. Now it's just a speed clear for many builds and parties are almost pointless.
Please just optimize the game, that's all that I want.
Rest story, gameplay, mechanics, endgame I have no doubt it will be good.
In GGG we trust.
i hate campain, its a pain. esp if you do it like 10th time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info