Ruthless with Gold Is Live!

I can't understand why so many get so upset and say "ruthless" (with gold) is a bad gamemode.

It is a completely different experience to play PoE.
And honestly, it feels absolutely right. Like it's exactly the right way to play this game.

+ you really experience the environment through the slower progression
+ you enjoy the drops and you don't even need a filter (at least during the campaign)
+ it's great that not all support gems are immediately available and the character is not already completely overpowered from act 2 onwards
And it's fun to find support gems, exactly because they have a direct impact on player-power.
+ also the fact that there is no crafting is good, otherwise it would undermine the relevance of the item drops and lead to certain limitations being overcome too quickly
+ the classes have much more identity by having only a base set of matching abilities available to them at the beginning. And by the fact that the attributes also can't be arbitrarily changed and inflated by items. A templar feels like a templar and can't directly access dex-based gems and items, just like a ranger can't use str-based gems and items at will.
+ The boss fights are completely different. You get to know the mechanics and sometimes even see them for the first time.
+ you concentrate much more on the defenses and perceive strengths and weaknesses of the character much more
+ you use a lot more different abilities, even those you would not use otherwise
+ It's no longer about building a god-like character at the speed of light - it's just about playing the game and adapting to the current situation instead of choosing from a seemingly infinite number of items that make your character overpowered.

About the current event:
I think adding gold is a good idea.
This gives you a universal currency and together with the fact that the merchants also sell "better" items than usual you have the possibility to fix existing gaps in your character's build from time to time with targeted purchases. Thus, the merchants also have a certain relevance in the early game. At the same time, the gold does not drop in abundance, so that the feeling of scarcity is maintained. The other "currency" (which in my opinion has always been the wrong term for these orbs etc.) have their relevance in what they are supposed to do: improve or modify your equipment. In my opinion, it would make sense for gold to remain part of ruthless-mode in the future.

All in all, I think ruthless makes the game a much much better game.
But I can understand that over the years players have gotten used to and expect power-inflation. It is what it is, I just hope ruthless continues to be part of PoE and continues to improve.

On the subject of improvements. I have two suggestions:
1) Make the base gems, which you can get with the respective class in the course of the campaign, free for sale after you have unlocked them (and later free for sale at Lilly). There is no reason to withhold these gems. It just forces players to make extra mule characters and level them up to a certain point just to get a certain gem. Yes, it's part of the scarcity but at this point it's just unnecessarily wasted life time since you can get the Gems "free" either way, so to speak.
2) It's great that there are no (or almost no) mobility skills. As written above, it adds to the experience of the game. But I think you should still give every char a limited mobility skill. E.g. with very high cooldowns and reduced distance. Colldowns that are high enough that players can't run fast through the levels, but low enough that they are usable (and useful) in boss mechanics or can help overcome terrain gaps from time to time or just help to reposition the character in combat.
"
paladin40306 wrote:
I can't understand why so many get so upset and say "ruthless" (with gold) is a bad gamemode.

Totally agree. I enjoy this mode very much.

P.S.: Prizes for 50+ lvls are guaranteed of there is only a chance to get them?
I'm glad you are enjoying the event, imo if someone work 8 hours per day for a living has not the time nor the will to suffer more in a useless no drop suffering masochistic game. Is not even close to be funny, if you grind and spend your free time you need at least to be payed back with some good loot or what's the point, just waste time ? No thanks. Worst idea ever doing these events in Ruthless.
Last edited by JoeGoldie on Mar 13, 2023, 5:56:21 PM
About to hit lvl 45 in Ruthless w/gold. It's kind of fun but only kinda. The prices for stuff at vendors are silly high at the very beginning and most of it is useless anyway. By act 2 you stop picking up white stuff as 1 gold vendored is no longer worth it but it continues to rain useless white drops throughout. Clutter - not to mention crafting orbs are so rare by the time you get one the stuff you been holding to craft is hopelessly underleveled anyway. Lack of progression feels no fun so I agree with many of the posters. I have picked up one support gem and probably one of the few to get even that.

The gold scale is pretty far off IMO or maybe this just isn't for me.

Actually I think I'm having some small measure of fun as my build has synergized well with choice of toon, skill and ascendancy otherwise I would have gone back to league.
my exp summed up in a video

https://youtu.be/v_FAJBMkpP0

Totally not worth it. As of GGG it should be a showcase where gold would be the currency. But nothing happened. Gold is just for buying low curreny from vendors.

All Trades (if any occur due to low playerbase / currency drops) are handled by Orb of Alchemy.

Even www.pathofexile.com/trade handles Orb of Alchemy by around 5k gold as it should be around 85k gold. So you can't even trade for gold because all 1-5 alch placings are listed before any gold placing.

Trading site's should really sort by currency value. Nothing has changed in this respect. Not even after pathofexile.com took over the trading site. Rather it got worse!
Hello ,how I suppose to play ruthless when so low map drops ? I'm level 80 and I don't saw yet a yellow map and even white maps are so low drops ,I have no currency to buy maps from Kirac or from trade site .
Last edited by w4rkr4f7 on Mar 16, 2023, 9:12:18 AM
Will the rewards for Ruthless with Gold also have tiers for class builds? I see nearly all builds being Occultist, Champion, or Jugg. I find it hard to get gear to level up where these 3 classes blast everything to leap frog to top of all leaderboards. My Inquis is stuck at 76 because no support gems or decent gear drop even to T4 maps.

Plus total waste to gamble gold with NPCs as you get <1500 gold per map
"
paladin40306 wrote:

You don't have to understand, every player has different preferences.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

It is a completely different experience to play PoE.
And honestly, it feels absolutely right. Like it's exactly the right way to play this game.

It is, but saying it's the right experience is your opinion, nothing more. To me, ruthless is the absolut worst way to experience PoE.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ you really experience the environment through the slower progression

I "really" experienced the environment the first time I did the campaign, and to a lesser extend the dozens of times afterwards having to run the campaign over and over again. I personally don't need to experience it even slower than these occurences.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ you enjoy the drops and you don't even need a filter (at least during the campaign)

No, I don't. To me getting lot's of different loot is a hallmark of ARPGs, and a big draw towards the genre.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ it's great that not all support gems are immediately available and the character is not already completely overpowered from act 2 onwards
And it's fun to find support gems, exactly because they have a direct impact on player-power.

It's really not. Power-fantasy is a big draw in most ARPGs, taking that away does not make it better, just more tedious, at least for me.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ also the fact that there is no crafting is good, otherwise it would undermine the relevance of the item drops and lead to certain limitations being overcome too quickly

Taking away one of the defining parts of PoE is good because it otherwise undermines another important part?

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ the classes have much more identity by having only a base set of matching abilities available to them at the beginning. And by the fact that the attributes also can't be arbitrarily changed and inflated by items. A templar feels like a templar and can't directly access dex-based gems and items, just like a ranger can't use str-based gems and items at will.

Imho, PoE never had class identity like other ARPGs had. The only defining feature is there starting point on the shared (!) passive skill tree. I find it hard to see class identity if all classes use the same skill tree. GGG decided that the skill tree is shared and skills are not bound to classes.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ The boss fights are completely different. You get to know the mechanics and sometimes even see them for the first time.

Are they? To me, boss fights are only different in the sense that they take excruciatingly longer and pose a much higher risk for RSI or carpal tunnel.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ you concentrate much more on the defenses and perceive strengths and weaknesses of the character much more

No, at least I don't. The campaign isn't particularly challenging to begin with, and I always have an eye on defences in regular game modes anyway. Ruthless only makes it more tedious to actually get these defences up and running, but it doesn't fundamentaly alter the way I play this game.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ you use a lot more different abilities, even those you would not use otherwise

That is probably the only redeeming quality I can find in ruthless, that I use all abilities I find. Unfortunately, that is not why I play PoE, as this makes it exactly the same as any other ARPG out there: just use what you get at a certain level. Seeing that GGG changes the way gems work in PoE2, that seems to be an issue even they realized needed adressing.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

+ It's no longer about building a god-like character at the speed of light - it's just about playing the game and adapting to the current situation instead of choosing from a seemingly infinite number of items that make your character overpowered.

Why did they design the game to be super fast to begin with then? To me, that is THE draw to PoE, the fact that you can go full on zoomies and have a blast while blasting through content. Putting the brakes on that concept is like giving you a racing car, but only allowing you to drive in 1st gear.

"
paladin40306 wrote:

All in all, I think ruthless makes the game a much much better game.
But I can understand that over the years players have gotten used to and expect power-inflation. It is what it is, I just hope ruthless continues to be part of PoE and continues to improve.

Players have gotten used to and expect power-inflation, because that's what the game was designed around. That's why I, like many others, think ruthless is ultimately just a sleep-inducing game mode. If you take away PoEs main identity, why keep playing PoE at that point? Serious question: Did you actually enjoy PoE before ruthless? To me it kinda sounds like PoE never really was "your game" to begin with. But hey, happy if you have fun with, but it's definitely not for me,no matter which changes and "improvements" they make to it.
ruthless with gold felt fine to me, gave a challenge fighting bosses trying not to get hit once and also i got a free cosmetic so really nothing to complain about.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info