Help with latency / internet connection?

I could bore you for hours with technical and moral details but I'll just a leave quick TL;DR. There is nothing you can do. Your ISP is screwing you (and possibly GGG or other services over). The jist is your ISP throttles traffic via specific peers/nodes/AS to certain services/subnets/AS unless certain service providers and/or services pay for more bandwith and access to your ISP's network. To the best of my knowledge this is pure monetary greed by your ISP and pressing GGG or any other one for that matter into resolving the issue will prolly make GGG pay more money to the greedy ISP which will most likely will lead to you having pay more as a customer of GGG.

There are workarounds in hopes for VPNs to route via different peers or try different service providers of your internet infrastructure in hopes they supply their own routing/peering. But ultimately you (and we, me included) are fricked and the only thing we can hope for are for laws to regulate and improve the situation.
So much for net neutrality and yes, this was the TL;DR version.

(Feel free to add details or correct me if I'm wrong. Looking into this is mostly impossible even as a professional in the field unless you work for said ISP's/providers.)
Last edited by Disruptor on Dec 16, 2023, 8:05:51 AM
"
Disruptor wrote:
I could bore you for hours with technical and moral details but I'll just a leave quick TL;DR. There is nothing you can do. Your ISP is screwing you (and possibly GGG or other services over). The jist is your ISP throttles traffic via specific peers/nodes/AS to certain services/subnets/AS unless certain service providers and/or services pay for more bandwith and access to your ISP's network. To the best of my knowledge this is pure monetary greed by your ISP and pressing GGG or any other one for that matter into resolving the issue will prolly make GGG pay more money to the greedy ISP which will most likely will lead to you having pay more as a customer of GGG.

There are workarounds in hopes for VPNs to route via different peers or try different service providers of your internet infrastructure in hopes they supply their own routing/peering. But ultimately you (and we, me included) are fricked and the only thing we can hope for are for laws to regulate and improve the situation.
So much for net neutrality and yes, this was the TL;DR version.

(Feel free to add details or correct me if I'm wrong. Looking into this is mostly impossible even as a professional in the field unless you work for said ISP's/providers.)

My ISP tells me that there is "no problem" on its end and that it must be a problem with the service I am attempting to connect with, since the tests show a stable download and upload (such as those measured by those standard web-based services like speedtest.de) in line with my contract.
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
What's more, after spending weeks trying to test this, it really looks like it is very dependent on a specific instance.
That is: When entering Map Instance I1, for example, the latency will jump up and rubberband again back and forth from 20 to 1500, making gameplay nearly impossible, but when entering a portal back to my hideout the latency will subside again and become stable at 25. (Not always.) Or the other way around. As if the data being sent were different depending on which instance I entered.
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3454550/page/25

This might help
I configured the windows firewall. It is not perfect, but it seems to help

EDIT:
Hmmmm, if the client spawns a map instance on a blocked server, you cannot enter the map. The client just disconnects.
So, the supposed solution does not work.
Last edited by Susram on Dec 19, 2023, 7:20:00 AM
Yeah
I'm going to have to sit this season out.
And if it's not resolvable, all future seasons as well.
This is on GGGs site, nothing you can do
I remember when I first started playing path of exile over a decade ago, living in another country, I was astounded by how attentive the team was and how quick they were to respond to questions and problems from the community.
I'm horrified to see how this has apparently changed entirely.
After investing even more resources into testing, both with my client, a mobile provider, a different provider at work, and the service team from Telekom, it seems pretty clear that the problem must rest at least in part by GGG.
The problem is always and exclusively instance-based. The log in screen always faithfully represents what my ISP tells me, that the route to the server or servers of my choice (either Frankfurt or Amsterdam) are almost always stable at between 20 and 26 Ms ping. Entering an instance (karui shores usually) often changes nothing, but even entering my hideout can cause the huge swing in ping, rubberbanding between 20 and 2000. Entering a new instance (opening any map) has a chance of resetting this back down to 20, and this instance will remain this way through all 6 portals, and so will the hideout instance. The case can be inverse as well: stable 20ms in the hideout but the map is borked at 20-800, no matter how often I leave and come back. Starting a new map may reset this. Same procedure for heist instances as well.
Good thing the steam sale is on now. Goodbye PoE, until you return to helping us again.
Same here, but I had this problem with telekom on any servers occasionaly, its quite random from instance to intance, right now I have the server 185.225.208.95:6112 and its giving me like 60% loss when routing through the PoE side of server providers:

https://gyazo.com/df7240177af3a39063c504ad0500387c

Its quite sad because I do appreciate the game and the effort put into it while having it free2play. I only have connection issues for path of exile.

Last edited by pendulumtest on Dec 21, 2023, 6:27:15 PM
I can play destiny2, diablo, deep rock galactic, any other online service from zoom calls to multiplayer games to streaming - I only have this problem with PoE, and its intermittence indicates that it CAN work, so why not always?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info