Lightning Tendrils

Yeha you are right, I was just optimistic since it just say "lightning dmg" and not "tendrils lightning dmg"... but since it miss le "global" keyword I was clearly on a wrong path.

Btw I feel really bad about what the Q20 gives, you. I'm at 70% of lev 19 of my q20 tendrils so soon will be able to compare 20/0 and 20/20 and confirm my feeling.

Ty again for your patience.
LT + Spell Echo + Faster Casting + Knockback is something to be seen. :-)
From Patch Notes:

Lightning Tendrils: Damage reduced by 25% and area of effect reduced by 18% (from 26 to 22). Critical Strike Chance increased from 5% to 6%.

Seriously? Every goddam time I find a build I like and am looking forward to truly fleshing it out GGG nerfs the awesome right out of it.

25% and 18% are extreme nerfs making it now perform WAY below other skills. Look at some of the numbers that people are posting and reduce it by at least 35% (the AoE reduction is essentially damage reduction as well vs. packs) - it's now f'ing useless. Fortunately we get resets and I can focus on a different build that GGG will eventually nerf once I'm happy again... it's like they know.

I really like this game but seriously, this is the reason why I stop playing every time- Drastic nerfs to skills/mechanics that benefit the casual player-base because the epeen stroking, hardcore fanbois are crying that it's "too easy" or "Stupid OP". Hey.. idiots, their only OP if you have the ridiculous gear that only comes with playing for hours and hours on end, something the casual playerbase will never have. The same gear that makes ANY build OP but, oh no, don't let the people that are actually supporting this game enjoy it!! Blasphemy! Because, guess what? We have all the money!! These toolbags playing for 14 hours/day don't have money (for obvious reasons) and the casuals are casuals because we f'ing WORK for a living. I've dropped a fair amount of coin on this game and all GGG keeps doing is shitting on the builds I like to play.

Made by hardcores, for hardcores. If it wasn't f2p they would've already been forced to switch to f2p or shut down.

/rant
I loved to be Palpatine. Alas, no more.
"
falkon311 wrote:
From Patch Notes:

Lightning Tendrils: Damage reduced by 25% and area of effect reduced by 18% (from 26 to 22). Critical Strike Chance increased from 5% to 6%.

Seriously? Every goddam time I find a build I like and am looking forward to truly fleshing it out GGG nerfs the awesome right out of it.

25% and 18% are extreme nerfs making it now perform WAY below other skills. Look at some of the numbers that people are posting and reduce it by at least 35% (the AoE reduction is essentially damage reduction as well vs. packs) - it's now f'ing useless. Fortunately we get resets and I can focus on a different build that GGG will eventually nerf once I'm happy again... it's like they know.

I really like this game but seriously, this is the reason why I stop playing every time- Drastic nerfs to skills/mechanics that benefit the casual player-base because the epeen stroking, hardcore fanbois are crying that it's "too easy" or "Stupid OP". Hey.. idiots, their only OP if you have the ridiculous gear that only comes with playing for hours and hours on end, something the casual playerbase will never have. The same gear that makes ANY build OP but, oh no, don't let the people that are actually supporting this game enjoy it!! Blasphemy! Because, guess what? We have all the money!! These toolbags playing for 14 hours/day don't have money (for obvious reasons) and the casuals are casuals because we f'ing WORK for a living. I've dropped a fair amount of coin on this game and all GGG keeps doing is shitting on the builds I like to play.

Made by hardcores, for hardcores. If it wasn't f2p they would've already been forced to switch to f2p or shut down.

/rant

It isnt an extreme nerf considering base Crit Chance was buffed by 20%. Compare it to Elemental Proliferation nerf, please.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I used this skill back in 1.3 in a 5L cloak with faster casting, increased area, concentrated effect, lightning pen. The damage was quite good.

my gripe was the AOE range however. The width of the radius was huge, but it only shot out about 6ft in front. It wasn't a proportional increase to aoe, it got wider more than it did farther, with AOE scaling. I wish it had a little more distance scaling with AOE verses the wide cone. Between AOE nodes and supports i increased the AOE by 70% approx

But what i really hated, and it felt clunky to the point where i no longer want to use it, is the cast speed lock. Now i have no qualms being locked in place until the animation finishes in terms of movement. But not being able to rotate the player freely between each casting stage made it undesirable =/.

AS we know it does 2 bursts per cast on click, 4 bursts with spell echo. You should be able to rotate freely between each individual burst so its not clunky. Reason being this skill was made to be spammed. Kind of how like incinerate works in terms of cast mechanics, at least its how it should be. Incinerate you can twirl around, this skill you cant.
As it stands now, it is outperformed by Incinerate as a close range damage spell. Reasons are Incinerate can rotate while casting, while Lightning Tendrils locks you in the initial direction of the cast. Also, there is the bonus damage to Incinerate for continuous casting. The alternative for Lightning Tendrils would be stacking shock and shock duration, but that is an investment, while the bonus damage for Incinerate is free.
I'm just interested, since the area nodes were also screwed in the 2.1 patch, will there be any way to make this skill viable again or we have to play skills like spark which lets you clear mobs 3 screens away and oneshot bosses.

Because at the moment the range of this skil barely exceeds a RF's range.

No point to use it for leveling either.
I enjoy the skill overall, my two biggest complaints are small AoE and not being able to turn during the execution.

I think the skill would work better as a channeled spell similar to incinerate, getting some amount of increased/more AoE per stage instead of damage. Still promotes that playstyle of standing in place to get the full effect, but it would feel so much better.
I'm not asking for it to be OP like Spark, but I'm asking for some level of comparable end game function.

Tendrils @ lvl 20:
24-461 dmg with 35% effectiveness and 6% crit

Lets look at other similar skills or often used spells:
Arc: 47-886 / 70% / 5%
Spark: 44-832 / 70% / 6%
Shock Nova: 185-555 / 60% / 6%
Freezing Pulse: 689-1034 / 125% / 6%
Ice Nova: 369-577 / 70% / 6%
Flame Blast: 241-362 / 110% per stage / 50% eff / 5%
Flame Surge: 514-771 / 50% more on burning / 6%

So what we have here is a lvl 20 spell that is gimped on all levels not including its other weakened stats of damage effectiveness, reduced range, and frankly its a dangerous skill end game with Spell Echo due to how long you're stuck in animation.
Even with its recent 2.1 bump in damage, this skill was just lackluster compared to any other skill in its category.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info