ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

Hi there. Thanks a lot for the guide. I'm interested in following it in the Perandus league. With that, I've got a few questions to ask. But before that, just a little background about my poe history.

I've been playing on and off on leagues and have reached lvl 78 at most. I'm an altoholic, at level 40-60 I get the urge to make a different character. Thus I've only reached 78 at most. Also, I haven't really learned that much about the builds and the game since I have been hopping from guide to guide and have simply mimicked what was listed down. With the new league, I'm hoping to push myself to understand more of the game, granted i'm still moving from a previous guide to this one. I'm gonna try and push myself past my previous limit.

With that, I have taken an interest on ascending as a pathfinder under the butterfly build. I'm all for dps, to be frank i'm tempted to go post-haste raider, but I think that pathfinder will give me better venue to learn more about the game, because i'm not just trying to deal more damage and go faster. I get to learn about flasks, defenses, synergy with the flasks, windows on when to strike with flasks, weaknesses and strengths of my character with flasks on and off. Plus, as a new goal, I'd want to do higher content than just tier 1-3 maps. All in all it will make me more mindful of the game and my character while playing.

Question is, will going pathfinder as a start be ok? Would you still recommend it even though the league is a bit early, is it more of get back when you have the budget, and that I'm a tad bit inexperienced? (though, I've already made a lvl 75 chieftain in the past few days and have more or less gotten a little over 1 ex worth of currency.) I guess I could go the raider route first then get currency then move to pathfinder. Would that be ok as well?

what's the progression on the butterfly tree? what nodes should I prioritize? which wing do I start with?

and personally, which of the builds is your cup of tea? :)
Last edited by Nitsujin on Mar 9, 2016, 11:33:12 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Post tree please. Again, you are only using Phase Run reduced aggro for bosses - you should not need it for clearing packs.

Also keep in mind that tooltip only shows the melee hit, so you are basically only seeing the 3L melee hit damage on the tooltip.

Also post your flasks please.

You are level 67 and already doing maps in hardcore?

EDIT: how much life do you have as well?

Yes people start mapping at like 64 no? I have been a beta player and that has always been the case, rush piety act 3 for skill points then transit to mapping tier1s.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAABeBS0FtQguDY0RLxa_GY4brSP2JJ0mlSoLLOEuUzBxMHw2PTiWOkI8vj3iQzFHBkjuSn1LeEz_TZJOKlFHVUtW9VuvXfJfcGHiYlpirGegbAhsjHBSdO11_Xiueu97FH11feOA4YNthG-HdonTjDaNfY1-jb-Oio9glLiX0JuNnaqjiqxmsbO0xbVItxe3trk-wuzTb9N-1CPUQtZY2HbY1drB227b592o4l7jn-tj7YPuDvGK_MX-ug==?accountName=Nyxy&characterName=NyxyToToRNG

So far

Health is 2.9k
Last edited by Nyxy on Mar 9, 2016, 9:33:46 PM
"
Nyxy wrote:

I know on standard people rush to maps, but I thought on hardcore they wait and farm safer zones until they feel comfortable with their gear / levels.

2.9k life and 9K damage is not good at all for hardcore mapping. I thought you had maybe used less DPS nodes and were putting them into life. If a rogue exile turns up on those maps it will not be good.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Why are you using Onslaught flask? Raider butterfly is supposed to use Quartz flask for the quartz dodge and then get Avatar of the Veil (which you do) to get even EXTRA dodge while phasing from the quartz flask. Roll the quartz flasks to have useful mods like inc. flask effect or inc. flask duration so they can last longer.

With this you should be able to run around with higher % dodge and higher % spell dodge.

2. Get a Rumi's flask ASAP. This is for the block. The butterfly builds are designed to combine dodge with block. If you are just using dodge you will have less survivability.

3. Get a Basalt flask ASAP. You should be using both Basalt and Granite flask to help you with your mitigation.

4. Last piece is you need more life for sure - part of it is you need more life on gear (rings etc). Maybe use a rare helmet with more life instead of Rat's Nest in the meantime?

5. DPS - I took a look at your gear and tree, I'm still confused how you have such low DPS. Are you sure you are looking at the Lightning Strike DPS?

I am playing genjuro right now but I will respec to dagger over the weekend and test 4L LS with Bino's to see what DPS #s I am getting.

If you want higher DPS you will need: i) more links in your chest, ii) more passives and higher gem levels, iii) weapon with higher crit chance, iv) more damage on rings and amulet (i.e. phys damage and crit).

Lastly, I think you should be skipping all bosses that pose a risk on hardcore mapping.

Sorry man, I know this must be frustrating. If you think these are bullshit and want to respec to a different build then that's totally ok. I think you will still have trouble because it is not the build it is the gear and level - you can change to a ST or a Reave block build but you will still have the same problems of low life and low DPS. With ST your DPS will be even worse than 9K since you will have to use LMP, and with Reave if you are not careful you may end up being in melee range for mobs/bosses which will not end well.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 10, 2016, 12:08:59 AM
"
Anbokr wrote:

Dam thanks for the quick reply and detailed response man, I really appreciate it and will take your input to heart.

Just a quick question, do you think a gladiator lightning strike dual wield build is viable?

I've been kind of just thinking in the back my head, something like a dual wield Varunastra build (man i wish the two rigwald's 1h's were permanently added) around lightning strike, then getting max block from Rumi's; the theory sounds awesome, but I'm in no way experienced enough to know if the end result will be desirable or pursuit worthy or how exactly to go about it heh. Maybe champion would be better than gladiator also.

Yes dual wield Gladiator is definitely viable. Keep in mind though that you will not have teh benefits of a shield for life, EV, and resistances. It will also be hard to get to max block with dual wield.

Varunastra is interesting. You can definitely make some unique builds with it by combining different weapon nodes to get certain advantages. I'll look into it because you should be able to get some very good damage.

I think if you are not aiming to (or can't) get to max blocks (i.e. you want to stick with dual wield), then yes Champion for permanent fortify would be better IMO.

Off the top of my head you would either go Champion dual-wield Varunastra, or Assassin Varunastra 1H + shield for high crit chance and then customize the nodes you take to get certain things like high leech from claws, more crit multiplier from swords and daggers, etc., while still retaining high blocks with shield + Rumi's.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 10, 2016, 12:19:40 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
Nyxy wrote:

I know on standard people rush to maps, but I thought on hardcore they wait and farm safer zones until they feel comfortable with their gear / levels.

2.9k life and 9K damage is not good at all for hardcore mapping. I thought you had maybe used less DPS nodes and were putting them into life. If a rogue exile turns up on those maps it will not be good.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Why are you using Onslaught flask? Raider butterfly is supposed to use Quartz flask for the quartz dodge and then get Avatar of the Veil (which you do) to get even EXTRA dodge while phasing from the quartz flask. Roll the quartz flasks to have useful mods like inc. flask effect or inc. flask duration so they can last longer.

With this you should be able to run around with higher % dodge and higher % spell dodge.

2. Get a Rumi's flask ASAP. This is for the block. The butterfly builds are designed to combine dodge with block. If you are just using dodge you will have less survivability.

3. Get a Basalt flask ASAP. You should be using both Basalt and Granite flask to help you with your mitigation.

4. Last piece is you need more life for sure - part of it is you need more life on gear (rings etc). Maybe use a rare helmet with more life instead of Rat's Nest in the meantime?

5. DPS - I took a look at your gear and tree, I'm still confused how you have such low DPS. Are you sure you are looking at the Lightning Strike DPS?

I am playing genjuro right now but I will respec to dagger over the weekend and test 4L LS with Bino's to see what DPS #s I am getting.

If you want higher DPS you will need: i) more links in your chest, ii) more passives and higher gem levels, iii) weapon with higher crit chance, iv) more damage on rings and amulet (i.e. phys damage and crit).

Lastly, I think you should be skipping all bosses that pose a risk on hardcore mapping.

Sorry man, I know this must be frustrating. If you think these are bullshit and want to respec to a different build then that's totally ok. I think you will still have trouble because it is not the build it is the gear and level - you can change to a ST or a Reave block build but you will still have the same problems of low life and low DPS. With ST your DPS will be even worse than 9K since you will have to use LMP, and with Reave if you are not careful you may end up being in melee range for mobs/bosses which will not end well.

Am using an onslaught flask due to my lack of damage because I take forever to kill any rares.

Rumi's flask is 3exalts right now so thats out of the question for now as I slowly progress into the game.

I havent gotten down to get Vaal pact because I haven't completed merciless labyrinth and I think that having no regen for labyrinth is asking for death to traps. Not sure if my 2 life flasks are enough to sustain me for that.

Should i take away onslaught flask for basalt or quartz? Or quicksilver as well? I can usually spam my granite+onslaught, kill a whole bunch of trash mobs, then have them up for the next trash pack. Should I go 2 life flasks, 1 basalt, 1 quartz, 1 granite and for all pop all 3 when i go into a pack of mobs?

Not sure how to see my lightning strike dps but I'll screenshot it here

https://gyazo.com/9980c7f69d2202928649d09afc057af8
"
Nitsujin wrote:

I've been playing on and off on leagues and have reached lvl 78 at most. I'm an altoholic, at level 40-60 I get the urge to make a different character. Thus I've only reached 78 at most. Also, I haven't really learned that much about the builds and the game since I have been hopping from guide to guide and have simply mimicked what was listed down. With the new league, I'm hoping to push myself to understand more of the game, granted i'm still moving from a previous guide to this one. I'm gonna try and push myself past my previous limit.

Thanks for posting, that's a great goal and I think customizing your own builds will definitely help in that regard.

"
Nitsujin wrote:

With that, I have taken an interest on ascending as a pathfinder under the butterfly build. I'm all for dps, to be frank i'm tempted to go post-haste raider, but I think that pathfinder will give me better venue to learn more about the game, because i'm not just trying to deal more damage and go faster. I get to learn about flasks, defenses, synergy with the flasks, windows on when to strike with flasks, weaknesses and strengths of my character with flasks on and off. Plus, as a new goal, I'd want to do higher content than just tier 1-3 maps. All in all it will make me more mindful of the game and my character while playing.

Question is, will going pathfinder as a start be ok? Would you still recommend it even though the league is a bit early, is it more of get back when you have the budget, and that I'm a tad bit inexperienced? (though, I've already made a lvl 75 chieftain in the past few days and have more or less gotten a little over 1 ex worth of currency.) I guess I could go the raider route first then get currency then move to pathfinder. Would that be ok as well?

For the butterfly builds you are aiming to combine dodge with block so at the bare minimum you will need a Rumi's flask. I made Pathfinder specifically for butterfly so people who wanted to combine dodge with block could still get high mitigation by combining Lightning Coil with Taste of Hate and a Basalt flask. It also takes Vaal Pact for high instant leech from VoV. The Pathfinder route I take is focused more on "inc. flask effect" points. So it really shines when you have good flasks like Rumi's for block, Taste of Hate, and VoV.

I know these items are hard to acquire early on, so I feel you will be holding yourself back.

STILL - I agree that being more focused on flasks helps you learn more about the game. What I would suggest is you build a Pathfinder for a post-haste build and not for a butterfly build.

All you do is remove the Acro and Phase Acro points and put them into Frenzy charges. Frenzy charges are what makes the post haste builds have so much higher DPS and speed than the other builds, but less defense.

That way if you want to respec later to butterfly you will not have to change your sub-class (which is very expensive).

For Pathfinder post haste since you have DPS boosts from frenzy charges, you can focus more on customizing your flask setup for defense: Basalt for mitigation, dodge from Quartz, evasion from Stibnite, life flasks, quick silvers on a Pathfinder are also extremely fast.

If you need crit you can add Diamond flasks.

The important piece would be then to figure out which types of flasks are better for your playstyle, and which types of flask rolls (inc. duration, flask effect, recharge on crit, etc.) would fit for you.

"
Nitsujin wrote:
what's the progression on the butterfly tree? what nodes should I prioritize? which wing do I start with?

I don't put the progressions because I know many people like to level differently. If you decide to stick with butterfly (and can get a Rumi's), personally I would rush to get Acro and Phase Acro, that way you can get your basic defense up very quickly. Then after that you can mix and match life and damage. In general you want to get the phys nodes early on, and then the crit nodes later.

"
Nitsujin wrote:
and personally, which of the builds is your cup of tea? :)

Thanks for asking, I used to play a lot of dagger LS but right now I am loving Genjuro. It is very exciting to play and I like that it is unique because not many people build 2H sword Ranger. It can do some things that the post haste and butterfly builds can't, but is very dependent on your weapon and is a little squishy if you are not careful so really needs to be played well for full potential.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 10, 2016, 1:05:38 AM
I was wondering if arcing blows is good for this build. I'm using the butterfly raider build
Freezien
Hey hey! And what about Atziri? How can we kill her with this build(i'm doing the post haste version for solo play)? And, for post haste, which is the maximum HP that i can reach?
Thank you for your reply and for the direction. I'm a bit worried though, will I be able to deal a good amount of damage even if I go pathfinder running post haste?

Just got to lvl 39 and ascended, LS feels slow for now but I'll push on. I've been using a Tabula Rasa for my chest just to get the easy 6 link. Also currently using Lion's roar and Sorrow of the divine for a boost in dps. Thanks again.

Edit: my bad, I just now got a hold of blood rage. I don't feel as slow anymore lol. I'm guessing I'm still gonna use the same points in pathfinder butterfly in the post-haste version right? I'm sorry if these questions might be too obvious. I'm also having second thoughts on being a pathfinder in post-hate. I'm thinking about going ranger to fully commit to the frenzy charges.
Last edited by Nitsujin on Mar 10, 2016, 10:49:01 AM
"
Nyxy wrote:

Am using an onslaught flask due to my lack of damage because I take forever to kill any rares.

Rumi's flask is 3exalts right now so thats out of the question for now as I slowly progress into the game.

I havent gotten down to get Vaal pact because I haven't completed merciless labyrinth and I think that having no regen for labyrinth is asking for death to traps. Not sure if my 2 life flasks are enough to sustain me for that.

Should i take away onslaught flask for basalt or quartz? Or quicksilver as well? I can usually spam my granite+onslaught, kill a whole bunch of trash mobs, then have them up for the next trash pack. Should I go 2 life flasks, 1 basalt, 1 quartz, 1 granite and for all pop all 3 when i go into a pack of mobs?

Not sure how to see my lightning strike dps but I'll screenshot it here

https://gyazo.com/9980c7f69d2202928649d09afc057af8

Hi buddy Onslaught doesn't really help for damage. If you need a damage flask something like a Diamond flask or Atziri flask is better.

If Rumi's is not possible right now, you should definitely be focused on getting your life and dodge up as high as possible. Which means using a Quartz flask and rolling inc. flask effect.

Don't worry about Vaal Pact for now - you don't have enough leech to take advantage of Vaal Pact, so just rely on life flasks for now.

You can take off Quicksilver and start using Whirling Blades.

I think your flask setup now should be:
Basalt + Granite + Quartz as default spam. Then get 2 life flasks or 1 life flask and a Diamond flask, or 1 life flask and a Stibnite flask for smoke cloud for more EV in case you got surrounded.

I still find it strange your dps is so low but maybe it is what it is. I'll unspec Genjuro and test 4L myself later this weekend.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 10, 2016, 11:37:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info