ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

Hi, regarding your Raider's Butterfly passive tree, I think it would be more optimized to get Vaal Pact horizontally from the right side and add From the Shadows nodes instead of Fencing nodes. This way, you'll get additional crit multiplier, physical damage and accuracy rating for an exchange of 3% attack speed.
"
adamwoon wrote:
Hi, regarding your Raider's Butterfly passive tree, I think it would be more optimized to get Vaal Pact horizontally from the right side and add From the Shadows nodes instead of Fencing nodes. This way, you'll get additional crit multiplier, physical damage and accuracy rating for an exchange of 3% attack speed.

Good catch, thanks buddy.
GENJURO UPDATE

I am respec'ing back to dagger to do some tests for the other builds, but I've been having a ton of fun with the 2H sword crit build and will definitely be back to genjuro for my main. VLS + Phase Run gameplay is sneaky and addictive, and once you get the hang of it - it makes bosses trivial. This is great for me because I play solo.

I've socketed Leap Slam in my links, but I hardly use it because I'm addicted to Phase Run.

Below are some of my stats with Genjuro:

Life: 4.2k (room to go higher, I have very little life on my jewelry and on my chest)
Dodge: 50%
Spell Dodge: 54%
Regular LS DPS with Hatred + HoA: 82k damage (this is the melee tooltip. I am using PPAD)
VLS damage per hit: 2.7k - 4.8k lightning damage, crit chance 67%, crit multiplier 554%.

That is using a 500pdps 2h sword and the remaining gear below. This may not seem like much damage. But this whole build is focused on VLS (tree spends a lot of points getting jewel slots for VLS).

But I've tested on the Atziri map: ONE use of Vaal LS on this setup can one-shot each of: Vaal, 1 of the trio, and 1 Atziri clone in about 3-4 seconds.

Each VLS lasts 10.56 seconds, and can store 3 uses.

VLS "More" Damage Multipliers:
- hitting VLS out of Phase Run gives me 1.3x multiplier
- using Lion's Roar in Phase Run gives me another 1.3x multiplier
- socketing Lightning Penetration will not reflect on the tooltip but gives me another 1.5x multiplier on the VLS damage
- if the boss can be shocked they will be shocked automatically with VLS for the entire duration, so this is another 1.5x multiplier on all your VLS "tick" damage
- I hardly ever use Assassin's Mark because the damage is high already, but you can add this for another 1.2x multiplier when you crit

Needless to say this results in some obscene damage, the best part being it is a "DOT" style damage so you can do damage without having to worry about taking hits - this makes many bosses easier to do.

Multistrike allows one use of VLS to stack 3 times, which is devastating for most bosses. If 2 bosses are standing close (i.e. Trio fire guy and Trio cyclone guy) your multistrike can actually tag both the bosses on 1 use of VLS. On top of that, if they stay close together the VLS arcs will be bouncing from each of them to the other.

Gameplay:
- Regular mobs: DPS from range with lightning strike projectiles
- Normal flask sips: Quartz + Basalt
- VLS usage: usually all I do is hit Phase Run -> then sip Diamond flask and Lion's Roar -> attack ONCE with VLS out of stealth (this will be 3 hits due to multistrike)
- Leap slam away and re-phase and watch the enemy die - if you are at range they will not attack you when you are in Phase Run
- If necessary I can DPS some more from range with regular LS

With a better sword you will have higher crit chance and can get close to 95% crit chance for the VLS. That way you can drop Diamond flask and use a VoV with lightning penetration. Legacy VoV with instant leech is pretty insane on VLS because you will be leeching huge amounts instantly for the entire duration of VLS. So even if you are just running around watching the boss die and not doing anything you will get massive leech.

Note: crit chance is super-important, you don't want to waste your VLS stacks (esp. since we use multistrike) so very important to make sure it crits. Assassin's Mark, Diamond flask, and Vaal Sentencing jewels are great for this.

VLS Targeting:
- Targeting with VLS is the same as with regular LS so if you click the ground it will attack on the ground. It is easier for me to put the VLS attack on my right mouse button, and the regular LS on a keyboard button like R, so that I can point and click (or point and hold click) to target and lock onto a certain enemy for VLS
- The good thing with multistrike on VLS is that even if you target the ground by mistake the multistrike will automatically target the remaining hits onto any enemies nearby

My Basic Gearing and Links:
Note: I am using Restless Ward because getting 3 blue, 2 red, and 1 green is a pain on a 2h sword or EV chest:

This is just my basic gear for Genjuro. If you need more defense I suggest Pathfinder ascension and using Lightning Coil + Basalt + Taste of Hate + VoV (legacy). If all you want is more insane damage then Assassin is better.

Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 12, 2016, 2:35:36 PM
Ok guys, seems like a few people want to see 2h sword crit in action. Unfortunately I'm very busy these days with work. For the dagger LS builds - you guys have my old vids to see how I play my dagger LS (nothing has really changed except I add in Phase Run).

For genjuro I've made a quick video showing the full build and links, how I use Phase Run and VLS. I also added 4 example plays: one for Village Ruin bosses (where I take zero damage), Atziri Vaal, Atziri Trio, and Atziri. The damage I take from the fire trio guy is from the reflect on my VLS.

HD should be up:

Genjuro Overview Vid: https://youtu.be/K1bttc1sHNg

I do not recommend this build for people who are new to PoE, as it is not a tank-rambo type of build, so needs to be played well to take it far.

Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 13, 2016, 5:39:08 AM
Having played this build for perandus HC, I think I can give some feedback now after progressing to sort of end-gameish maps, I have been clearing tier 10s and stuff at level 86+.

Do note that I am playing Butterfly build as a Raider.

Spoiler

I choose not to opt for a rumi's because of Lion's roar knockback utility, sometimes I find it too useful because the big rares that take awhile dont even get to touch me as my Lion's roar flask refills itself by killing the tons of little pleb monsters around a rare monster.

So the gameplay is basically go from pack to pack, position nicely so you hit a third of the whole map and then hold down right click (or whatever hotkey you prefer). The damage is not incredibly good against beefy monsters, but it sure as hell shreds small monsters really quickly.

Now the thing about this build is that if you play hardcore like I do, you really need to have Lightning Coil, no matter how safe you play with phase run and try to avoid stuff. There is going to be some unlucky boulder thats going to drop on your head and 1 shot you. I have witnessed many times that I was reduced to almost the brink of death (4.8k hp to 300hp) by random stuff and without Lightning Coil, you would most often be seen lying on the floor with Ressurect in Town as your only option.

I just got a 5L so my damage with ICC ramped up quite abit to 22k tooltip with Ice golem up. Without 5L I think my dps was around 19k. THis is with a few quality gems, the ones that are important, mainly PPAD and Multistrike. I believe WED is also important but its too expensive as of now for me to get it.

The only thing I absolutely hate about this build is that Lightning Strike cannot pass through obstacles, there has been many times that a little boulder in my way can stop my skill, the maps with Gold all over the floor in a squarish shape will stop your attacks all too often. This is the absolute #1 frustrating thing about Lightning Strike. Its not a build problem, its just a mechanic that is put there to make you stay away from it.

As I progress deeper into the game, I don't see myself hitting level 100 with this build due to it, not having enough damage and lacking the motivation to clear fast (e.g keeping frenzy charges/whatever up). This is only speaking for Butterfly, I am not sure if going Deadeye and losing some defenses will end up killing you in hardcore or not, so bear with me as I speak from a defensive POV. My damage feels like it has hit a ceiling with only 4 more damage nodes left to take in my passive tree. Despite that, this build is pretty tanky and theres really not much ways to die with it.

Thank you for reading my chunk of texts, do ask me any questions if you want to know more.
Nyx thanks for the feedback. Good stuff. Level 87 on temp hardcore is a really good accomplishment.
So I just started playing LS build, and found out that PPAD doesn't work with it
withoutPPAD

withPPAD
In fact it only provides Quality bonus, if u have one
PPAD does work. It's just that the tooltip DPS you see on the character sheet is ONLY for the melee attack, and does not include the projectile portion of LS.

If you look at the LS gem you will see that it has a tag for "projectile", and ppad is a massive boost for the projectile damage of LS.

It's the same if you get projectile nodes - your tooltip DPS # will not change for LS since it only shows the melee portion.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Mar 17, 2016, 11:48:23 PM
Thank you for the clarification

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info