Changes to Ignite in 3.3.0

The fact that GGG is making ignite more accessible makes me question whether it's going to be valuable at all. If it's so easy to build around then it will just be an afterthought like poison was in 2.6

Also, please don't destroy EE. It's a keystone with a huge penalty already - literally you have to have all your damage come from a different element than the one that procs it and that cannot proc EE or you have to alternate between elements (EG discharge + incinerate). Totems and spectres may get a lot of easy benefit from it, but they also have to deal with not being able to control their damage directly making the playstyle less involved than a self caster. I really don't see the need to change anything with that particular skill.
"
bvanharjr wrote:
still gonna suck. Sorry!

NOT ONLY are ignites bad (and still will be bad), they supercede freeze chance. Which is STILL going to be meta.

I like how you're not a developer and can't see the calculations of meta-builds to determine how to balance skills, but you claim without any evidence and blind conviction that the buff won't work.

Sorry, but being presumptuous is not virtuous, nor does it make you look any better.
Honestly, I don't like these changes. At all. To me this seems like GGG is more focused on trying to fix the effect without wanting to address the cause of it.
Yeah, you can give nodes higher fire and buring damage values. But this won't help fix ignite, the only thing that I think this'll do is push scorching ray and RF even further than they already are damage-wise.
Even worse imo is the change to skills. While this MIGHT fix ignite, it only does so for those specific skills. You used to care a lot about build diversity and doing pretty much anything with pretty much everything. With these changes, pretty much the only way to go about ignite is to use the designated skills (burning arrow, fireball and flameblast). However, this renders Stormfire, Three dragons and Hrimburn largely useless for anything that truly focuses on ignites.
The only good thing about those changes are the changes to the ignite proliferation and deadly ailments support gems. Combustion will most likely serve as a replacement for elemental equilibrium for SR or RF builds at this rate. Or maybe even used in conjunction with stormfire, hrimburn or three dragons.

Once again, sure you can increase the numbers to fix it. But if you do that, then do it at the right point of the equation. At the very base values of ignite damage itself. Or give us easier or more access to the "ignited enemies burn % faster" mod. Why not put that on jewels instead of ignite duration?
Also, I'm against putting additional burning damage on nodes on skylldrasil. Ignite damage would do the exact same thing for ignite builds, but would prevent RF and SR builds from abusing the heck out of it.
There's also the fact that ignite does not really have an ascendency class where it's "at home" so to speak. None of the elemental ailments do. Saboteur has blind and Champion has taunt (yes, I know, those aren't ailments). Assassin and trickster more or less share poison, though assassin has much stronger and more obvious focus on it. Gladiator has bleed. But freeze? Shock? Ignite? The closest thing would be elementalist for elemental ailments in general or chieftain for ignite. Though once again, the focus here is on BURNING damage instead of IGNITE damage, making it better for the much stronger scorching ray and righteous fire.

TL;DR: I think you messed up big time with these changes, GGG, the only exception being two of the three support gems. These changes will most likely make ignite somewhat stronger for certain builds, while pushing RF and SR over the edge. I'm honestly and genuinely disappointed.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
EE already needs a build tailored to it because it can only be used effectively by totems or summoners. Otherwise it's too much of a hassle to apply it with a secondary skill before hitting anything. I don't use it often but I also don't like the idea of GGG messing with it.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
"We would like to update the way that Elemental Equilibrium works in the future. At the moment it provides a significant bonus that goes against its intended use. Most notably, it currently has a non-penalised 50% reduction of resistances on enemies. "

R.I.P. Every single RF build lol...
SSF, because Path of Trade RMTers and bots suck.
Too bad ignite still sucks. No matter what changes are made, ignite will still extremely suck.
And Nerfing EE. The most OP builds don't even use it much in the first place, but sure, go ahead and nerf a passive that only affects mediocre, specialized builds in the first place.
Last edited by HedgeMoney on Apr 27, 2018, 4:57:43 PM
"
FCK42 wrote:
Honestly, I don't like these changes. At all. To me this seems like GGG is more focused on trying to fix the effect without wanting to address the cause of it.
Yeah, you can give nodes higher fire and buring damage values. But this won't help fix ignite, the only thing that I think this'll do is push scorching ray and RF even further than they already are damage-wise.
Even worse imo is the change to skills. While this MIGHT fix ignite, it only does so for those specific skills. You used to care a lot about build diversity and doing pretty much anything with pretty much everything. With these changes, pretty much the only way to go about ignite is to use the designated skills (burning arrow, fireball and flameblast). However, this renders Stormfire, Three dragons and Hrimburn largely useless for anything that truly focuses on ignites.
The only good thing about those changes are the changes to the ignite proliferation and deadly ailments support gems. Combustion will most likely serve as a replacement for elemental equilibrium for SR or RF builds at this rate. Or maybe even used in conjunction with stormfire, hrimburn or three dragons.

Once again, sure you can increase the numbers to fix it. But if you do that, then do it at the right point of the equation. At the very base values of ignite damage itself. Or give us easier or more access to the "ignited enemies burn % faster" mod. Why not put that on jewels instead of ignite duration?
Also, I'm against putting additional burning damage on nodes on skylldrasil. Ignite damage would do the exact same thing for ignite builds, but would prevent RF and SR builds from abusing the heck out of it.
There's also the fact that ignite does not really have an ascendency class where it's "at home" so to speak. None of the elemental ailments do. Saboteur has blind and Champion has taunt (yes, I know, those aren't ailments). Assassin and trickster more or less share poison, though assassin has much stronger and more obvious focus on it. Gladiator has bleed. But freeze? Shock? Ignite? The closest thing would be elementalist for elemental ailments in general or chieftain for ignite. Though once again, the focus here is on BURNING damage instead of IGNITE damage, making it better for the much stronger scorching ray and righteous fire.

TL;DR: I think you messed up big time with these changes, GGG, the only exception being two of the three support gems. These changes will most likely make ignite somewhat stronger for certain builds, while pushing RF and SR over the edge. I'm honestly and genuinely disappointed.

I like your essay. I'm dissapointed too because They are always focused on things that should be done far far long ago but not now, when most meta is - windripper +-quant/+-rarity setup.

Changes always for 1% community. Changes like this are (tbh) for "Tarke" like guys - when they cry about traps - there is some changes for traps, when they cry about ignites - here we are, have fun with ignites next league guys..

Thats it. We have no impact on this.
"
HedgeMoney wrote:
Too bad ignite still sucks. No matter what changes are made, ignite will still extremely suck.
And Nerfing EE. The most OP builds don't even use it much in the first place, but sure, go ahead and nerf a passive that only affects mediocre, specialized builds in the first place.

What the fudge are u talking about? Shut the front door!
"
The problem with ignite is how it works.

Shock an enemy and EVERYTHING and EVERYONE does more damage to the enemy

FREEZE an enemy and it can't do shit and even shatters if killed while frozen, ignoring every on death effect incl. changing the enemy to a second phase.

Ignite... do a little burn damage that can be utilized with some little gems or equip...

THIS is where the problem is. If you want to make ignites viable you should change the core of what it does. If I have to option to have a source for more damage / making the enemy frozen OR giving it a small dot... I choose one of the first.

Why not making ignite damage automatically proliferating.
Fire does spread naturally. Igniting one enemy in the middle of a pack would set the rest on fire too. Maybe not instantly but with a small delay "heat up".

Maybe add "crits" to ignites, if you critically ignite an enemy it creates an explosion, instantly igniting all enemies in a radius which can be critical too.

This is just an example but that would make more sense than just a bit dot. As long as it is just a dot and does not have any real effect like shock and freeze, people will almost always rather use those than ignite.
TwitchTV: http://www.twitch.tv/akumanotsubasa
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/AkumaNoTsubasa
Please use http://pobb.in for your guides instead of pastebin!
if u wanna revive fireskills, you maybe bring fire to cold support gem/items
e: FROZZEN ORB from d2 we miss a skill like that,
Last edited by starstouch on Apr 27, 2018, 6:39:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info