macOS Official Release Delayed, Experimental Client Available

Just wanted to chime in to give my first impression:

The client didn't crash and the game started. I had to disable vsync so that I'd stop see flying weapons and environment only, but that's fine.

My experiment's rig is as follow:
Macbook Pro (Late 2013 w retina)
MacOS 11.0 Beta (20A5395g)
Ok, bug report time.

Now I start the app and it doesn't go past logon.

Steps to reproduce:
Delete the app from the Application Folder
Upgrade to MacOS 11.1 Beta (20C5048l)
Reinstall the app using the .dmg

Launching the app will trigger a crash
Click 'relaunch'
The updater starts and starts the game.
The gear spash screen appears (normal)
The logon screen appears (normal)
Once authenticated, the app crashes again.

PM me if you need further details/ traces.

Thanks for showing interest in a MacOS client, you made my day.

Cheers,
David
"
_CeBeP_ wrote:
For me, mac client works pretty smoothly.
The only thing I cannot figure out is how to launch a second client window?

we cant event download the game..launcher crash and sh.t
I am jealous. :(
Hmm. I fixed my woes on my MBP by installing the game on an underpowered iMac (doomed to fail) and then copying the .app over. It somehow worked afterwards.

Go figure why, but I sure won't complain.

A second client will probably make my MBP sound like a hoover, so I won't try. LOL.
So I tested the game on Mac again for first time in a couple months for Mayhem, there were no issues launching the game with the default installer, and it performed better than Path of Exile did on windows bootcamp on the same Mac.

This was definitely an inspiring sign, since its like this way with league of legends too.

Later I decided to try some higher performance characters, my flicker striker in heist... on windows it freezes & delays a lot more, on mac I was surprised to not get those freezes. It was smooth gameplay.

All of my settings were on minimum as it is an older macbook but it had stable 30 fps, the only minor problems were some texture issues and parts of the map blacking out but this didn't impact gameplay or cause any lag.

This playthrough was a surprising improvement from September, I think they can have a stable Mac client next year
"
Eclaer wrote:
So I tested the game on Mac again for first time in a couple months for Mayhem, there were no issues launching the game with the default installer, and it performed better than Path of Exile did on windows bootcamp on the same Mac.

This was definitely an inspiring sign, since its like this way with league of legends too.

Later I decided to try some higher performance characters, my flicker striker in heist... on windows it freezes & delays a lot more, on mac I was surprised to not get those freezes. It was smooth gameplay.

All of my settings were on minimum as it is an older macbook but it had stable 30 fps, the only minor problems were some texture issues and parts of the map blacking out but this didn't impact gameplay or cause any lag.

This playthrough was a surprising improvement from September, I think they can have a stable Mac client next year

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you are enjoying the macOS client and can’t wait to share the full release with you in the future.
Keen on trying it out again. I hope it is still the original link in this announcement that we should use so that I haven't missed something.
Last edited by Lateraenema on Dec 8, 2020, 6:06:18 AM
"
"
Eclaer wrote:

Thank you for the feedback. We are glad you are enjoying the macOS client and can’t wait to share the full release with you in the future.

Didn't know that the launcher's macOS requirements has been lowered. Finally, can't wait to try it.
Good morning 12/16/2020
from what I can glean, the architecture of POE is structured for intel chipset. I just purchased a Mac mini and am very pleased with the performance in regards to gaming. the Mac mini is working on the new Mac M1 chipset and POE is not compatible with the new chipset architecture. Please let us know if this is the case and whether there will be a workaround for Mac based on the new M1 architecture which leaves Intel chipset in the dust as regards video performance.
best,
Dead Mule
Hello, the game doesn't seem to work on the MacOS after the patch today... can anything be done? Thank you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info