Path of Exile: Royale — Everything You Need To Know

My only question is why now? Why not on previous April fool days or any other milestones? Is 3.15 bare-bones expansion and Royale is supposed to improve reception of it?
"
Ygidua wrote:
"
Nodgear wrote:
"
Ygidua wrote:
Not something I find fun, a pity viable ressources went into this, instead of a new atlas system, new passive tree system or better item loot and crafting.

PVP in an ARPG has no place in my books, that is something for MMOs and FPS.

Good thing you're not the one setting industry standard.

I am not, but Blizzard and Bioware. The Diablo franchise, but also Baldurs Gate are the most popular and best ARPGs and they did not focus on pvp at all.

You most likely never heard of these games, but they are the setting industry standard for more than 20 years now.

Fortnite which you might be refering to is not an ARPG and it is therefore not the standard, but a new game for young kids in a totally different segment.

In Diablo 2 it was free pvp, you could enter any player realm, attack and kill him without attacked player's agreemnt. World of Warcraft have strong pvp, even official tournaments. Albion Online have pvp mode united with single player, as well as Dark Souls. Dark Souls 3 has last changes in game around 5 years ago, but it still remains in middle of top steam online. You can check it in any time https://store.steampowered.com/stats/. All of it becouse multiplayer and pvp united with single player, it just makes any run new, fresh and exiting.

Man, if you bad in pvp, and do not want to improve you skills, just ignore pvp, no one force you to play it)
Last edited by Obl1terator on Jul 16, 2021, 11:20:57 AM
Lots of changes. Mostly nerfs. We'll see I suppose...
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
MAKE SQUADS AND YOULL THANK ME LATER.
Any information about Royal on Ps4?
it's very addictive
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░ We Miss U Le Toucan
The general idea of a BR mode isn't a bad one, but the execution (as so often with GGG) is. The results are almost entirely dependent on loot luck.

If you don't manage to find one of the 4-5 Lvl1 skills that you actually have a fighting chance with, then the round is over for you. If you spend more than 60 seconds searching the beach for those you might as well restart, because the Blight/EP players are already on their way to the middle clearing out all the mobs, so they will be twice your level when you finally arrive.

Movement speed also has way too much of an impact on being able to score kills. A player who got lucky and found Wanderlust or a pair of 20% boots will have a gigantic advantage over those without it, both offensive and defensive. Whirling Blades/Leap Slam are the only MS skills worth using, the cooldown time on the other ones is just too high for those clutch situations where you sometimes have to fight several players at once.

And no amount of "git gud" will change any of the above. If you (have to) use an inferior skill and other players can easily chase/evade you, then you don't stand a chance. Depending on drops, all of this can already be decided in the first minute of a round. That's not how a Battle Royale should work, you should at least up to the halfway point have the feeling that you can still catch up.

But you won't, because even if you finally find one of the good gems, you are already behind in gem levels and there are no more mobs to kill, only players. This might not matter that much for weapon skills, but for spells it's over at that point. The damage difference between a lvl4 spell vs a lvl1 is roughly 100%. So you either get a very lucky start or there is zero chance for you to win. "But you can find lvl4 skill gems closer to the middle, just get those!" I hear some of you say now. Well, because GGG decided that there will be no respec points, you are stuck with your initial choice. So if you started a cold or lightning build, that Bladefall or Firestorm gem will do nothing for you. There is a damage conversion node, but it turns physical into a random element, so that doesn't really help either.

The skill tree is simplistic, and it somewhat has to be, I get that. But that also means that for any given skill everbody uses the exact same nodes, so the entire tree has no bearing on the outcome at all. It all comes down to dumb loot luck. I was never a big fan of pvp modes in games where luck plays such an integral part. In a 3h race a more skilled player will probably still overtake a player who got an OP starter unique in the first few zones, but in pvp rounds which last 10 minutes on average this is not possible. Especially since XP is limited and can be claimed much faster by the lucky players.

So all in all, this is not working very well at the moment. IF GGG can cut down the dependency on luck to a reasonable level, it might become worth playing. Right now, it feels akin to throwing dice, only even less exciting.
Last edited by MoarStuff on Jul 16, 2021, 2:54:32 PM
Fun mode, if you play with people of similar understanding of the game (or friends).

So one of the most important parts might be to have a option to play with people you want to, like a group of people in a Guild, a small event to join with friends from your friends list etc.

Playing with random people gets extremely annoying if they abuse some mechanics, go invincible (and dont leave immediately), or use a brokenly overpowered gem to mob the floor ... thats not really fun for long.

It shines the most when the people know what they are doing and really slog it out, or nobody has a broken gem and has to work with much more balanced stuff.

----

For sure more fun than just regular pvp, but this needs work to be more reasonable (100 people is way too much as well, 20 is totally enough to get rolling).

And give a starting-supply before the game starts, so you get a bunch of basic equipment and gems, as running around without a gem and a terrible white weapon without any other equipment is AWFUL and boring.

Should give a "merchant" to buy some gems to start with, so you get a choice and some basic consistency (so if something is "broken" and overpowered the devs will quickly see it, instead of relying on randomness of drops).

For the inventory, it would be much better to keep stuff equipped and roll Chaos and currency on the things you have on.
Its super annoying to remove parts, tetris with your inventory, while someone is attacking you ... It needs to be much more streamlined to make that work to use currency while doing pvp (like having the inventory open all the time, to throw currency on your stuff very fast).
Ahhh yeah, blight royale
should called blight Royal :X

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info