Feedback on Colourblind Support for Gem Sockets

[Not colour blind]

WoW has great accessibility for colour blind people: colour blind people can customise the important colour identifiers in the options, that are not of artistic nature, as they see fit, beyond the three main colours blind types.

It even made the BBC news back then: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31502904

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/31224
Last edited by RPGNoobANKA on Sep 1, 2021, 10:42:40 AM
Red and Green seem usable. Blue should defiantly not be at any of the 90 degree angles because it overlaps with the socket links. Something more obvious would be appreciated though. I would say don't be afraid to make the sockets look distinct and cool they don't have to be bland boring circles especially considering most of the skill gems themselves aren't even circles.
Since u are adding this feature

CAN U HIGHLIGHT LINKS BETTER?

Personally I'm not colour blind, when I look at this image I can not see on a glance what each socket colour is. I would suggest doing something which is far more visually striking compared to this and have it set under an option of people dislike it. Personally, I think that either the shape of the socket or the amount of notches could be changed. For instance, 3 in an upside down triangle for red, 4 in a cross for blue and 5 in pentagon for green.
The lines are not all that noticeable. If you are on a smaller screen it may be hard to see them. I would recommend actually changing the shape of the socket based on the color.
Being color blind. If I can see the green dash and red dash. It is very easy to deduce the one without a dash is blue.

I like It. After some play time it will be easy to adjust and identify the sockets at a glance.
I'm green-red colorblind (the most comon one)
I've read most comments up to here and would have to agree

The notch is barely noticeable, basically we're shifting the issue. Instead of paying a closer attention to the color difference (which i can see but it's subtle) I have to pay attention to a small notch position.
In both case, I do not see wether the socket is red or green on a glance.

The notch also causes another issue which is, we'll look at 2 different things.
I would look at color for blue and notch for green/red which doesn't seem right.

The suggestion of changing the socket shape is definitely a good one
https://i.imgur.com/6K5Lu6z.png

Another thing that could be done would be to reduce (as an option ofc) the amount of shade on socket. All the light effects to give it depth actually makes it harder for me to see the difference. If green/red would be solide, flat, uniform in color such as
this or that it would be much easier. Instead what is a see is something like this where everything is blurred.

Finally, one of the simplest solution would just be to offer choice in socket color.

Like,
Deuteranope
BLUE
GREEN (I know it's yellow)
RED

Protanope
BLUE
GREEN
RED

Tritanope
BLUE
GREEN
RED

Monochromatope
Do the notch thing but with color, socket is white with dark hue "up" for blue, down right for green, down left for strength.

In case of the 3 usual colorblindness, the issue is that we either do not see the color itself or we see it very poorly (in my case i see it very poorly)

Taking green, if in RGB you put this 0,255,0
I struggle to see that, it nearly looks yellow. When everything is flat (no hue, light effect etc), well i see the difference, but in game in front of items with tons of colors, link etc, light effect shadow, it basically get very close to "orange-ish" and this is where my struggle comes, it's basically "light red vs dark orange"

However I see yellow very well, so if you simply put the green socket "yellow", my brain won't be all fucked up by that weird color. It will be like "yes, this is red, yellow and blue"

So you simply could change the problematic color socket to one that each colorblindness see correctly. Basically, any color "close enough" to the original color but which isn't 255,0,0 or 0,255,0 or 0,0,255.

I can't talk for Protanope and Tritanope as I can't see through their eyes, but I assume it should work in a similar manner, if I can't properly see 0,255,0 but have no issue differentiating 255,0,0 from 255,255,0

Then it should work the same for them

If for design reason you do not want to have a square triangle diamond socket shape, this would probably be the easiest solution.
In the UI you just put "colorblind mod" and all it does is change socket color.

ty for reading
Why not to use tag system? Like R=G=B=W=W R, B=B A(Abyssal)

You can put tags on items as far as on gems.
I am a colour blind person (blue yellow in case that matters to you). Like others have already pointed out the blue gems when linked would be a problem. If changing the shape is not an option then I'd suggest instead of a notch make it more like a chevron ^. Blue has not been the problem for me since when I look at it there is a much more pronounced and obvious light source on the blue sockets that stands out for me.
gj GGG
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info