Characters sent to void league on death should NOT be a map mod

"
Surely nobody playing T17 content is so unfamiliar with the game as to just accidentally run a T17 map without reading it carefully. By the same token, sure, the wording could be changed, but even if some of these players are unfamiliar with the term “void league”, they all know what a league is, and that should set alarm bells off. It’s certainly not the kind of thing where you’ll go “oh I don’t know what void league means specifically, I guess I’ll run it and find out”.

If this was the challenge league content or something, that’d be awful, but it’s not, it’s the highest possible level of map attainable, it’s supposed to be for people who know what they’re doing.

The map is T17, but if it follows normal drop rules, that means it can start dropping in T15 maps, which plenty of newer players can reach. The first league I ever seriously played the game into endgame, I made it up to T16 guardian maps; at that point I still hadn't played a build into maps that had to worry about reflect, and no one told me about them. When I did play a build that could die to reflect, the following league, I learned the hard way that reflect was a thing when I first ran into the mechanic. Before then I didn't know I needed to be cautious about it or find a way to mitigate it.

That's what I am certain will happen with this void league modifier, only it's so much worse than just some surprise XP loss.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
The players you are worrying about will not even find one of those lmao

No one new ever plays this game or progresses at all. No one ever comes from other ARPGs with a lot of genre experience and goes in blind and manages to do well, or follows a guide but still doesn't understand the literally thousands of different things not specifically in the guide which one needs to understand to fully get what's going on in this game. No one is actively playing the game and doing well but not following the latest on the forums or on streams, and certainly no one who might fit that description would also not be able to afford a USD$480 supporter pack right now and so hasn't looked at the video and become aware there's a new void league modifier they need to avoid.

You're absolutely right, this is a totally dead game, there are never any new players who make it to endgame, and everyone still playing it who does is 100% aware of everything going on at all times and never misses or misreads a map modifier ever, so I'm worried about nothing. /s
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
"
The map is T17, but if it follows normal drop rules, that means it can start dropping in T15 maps, which plenty of newer players can reach.
We already know it doesn't follow normal drop rules. It's generated by the Valdo's Puzzle Box item. To get it you have to activate that item (which is a relatively special event and thus should cause you to pay attention to the outcome) or trade for it (in which case you should know what you're buying).

Having said that, I'm entirely on board with safety nets like the map device warning you mentioned. I don't think the mod's existence is a problem but I don't think a warning is either - it's certainly not the only thing the map device tells you about.
yeah it's a dumb gimmick and whoever thinks otherwise doesn't comprehend, somebody should invite randoms to the map with turbo rippy mods and send people to standard, that's the only way it'll get changed unfortunately
100% agree with the OP. I just watched all the otherwise frankly brilliant supporter pack videos, and after some great positive vibes this leaves a really sour taste.

I don't think supporter packs should have permanent negative in-game effects on other players, indirect or otherwise, especially of this magnitude. So far we've just had cosmetic effects and varying degrees of annoyance. This is a new level of unpleasant.

That also goes for the ewok music troupe, who are successfully pushing the boundaries of vexatious cosmetics in town.

If we're permitting pay to void, are we not shy one corresponding supporter pack tier which makes your account immune to it (and muzzles the ewoks at no extra charge, possibly sending them to void league on death).
You can't even find these maps unless you buy the supporter pack. Don't buy this supporter pack because you disagree with it so much.
Ggg letting this happen deserves to be roasted forever. What a lame thing players have done. Were they not content with ruining hogm?
"
Goodkall wrote:
You can't even find these maps unless you buy the supporter pack. Don't buy this supporter pack because you disagree with it so much.

Pretty sure they work exactly like reliquaries, any one can find them. It's only purchasing the pack that allows you to submit for a map to be in the box.
"
Mistwalker wrote:
"
Goodkall wrote:

Pretty sure they work exactly like reliquaries, any one can find them. It's only purchasing the pack that allows you to submit for a map to be in the box.

Yup, this is how it works. It drops as a currency item that you can right click to open, then it picks a supporter's map + a foiled unique (you can see before what it yields and what the mods are)

I'm against the notion of infantilizing players by pretending they can't read and new players are basically toddlers who need to be told everything by the game.

Holding alt reveals more information for keywords. Same could apply here and that's ok

But everything from dropping the item, to opening the box and getting a map out of it that looks unlike anything you found before shows you should pay attention to it. It's a special thing to drop, so you can safely give players some accountability
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
How is this even a discussion?..
SC by definition should have no permadeath. No matter what. Period.
Handmade cursors for PoE: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2740991

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info