Characters sent to void league on death should NOT be a map mod

"
Can anyone explain how such a map mod enriches the game experience in Standard or Standard-based challenge leagues? What positive effect that fits with the Standard-based content is gained from the addition of this mod?

an additional type of risk. It isn't going to be imperative that you do this content, you can either trade for the foil items or sell/service the run off to someone else, or take the chance that you'll die. If you don't like that, you can opt to not risk your character and no one will fault you.
"
Can anyone explain how such a map mod enriches the game experience in Standard or Standard-based challenge leagues? What positive effect that fits with the Standard-based content is gained from the addition of this mod?
Much the same as Hardcore. It's a slightly different kind of risk for people to take if they enjoy that kind of thing, and perhaps a very minor bit of 'prestige' associated with the survival of this challenge, for people who engage in that kind of thing. That's it.

Now, the existence of Hardcore does nothing to "enrich the experience" for me, and nor does the existence of this mod. So I'd completely understand if the mod similarly does nothing for you. But if you understand the existence of Hardcore then you also understand this thing.

It's also just a silly novelty, and that's okay. It's a videogame.
I understand the comparisons to hardcore, and I can happily not run the mod, but to me this still isn't okay. If this were just an addition to the game, no money involved, it's still softcore no longer being softcore, and the announcement being made by supporter pack video not patch notes, which seems less than ideal.

But this goes further, as it's a pack introduced so that one person can pay money for a chance to cause other people's characters to be sent to void league. Maybe idea was just to create extra challenge and this was meant as a positive all round, but it feels to me like it's capitalising on the shadenfreude of the would-be purchaser to convince them pay. This may not be predatory, but to me it leaves a sour taste.
"

It is interesting to see how this map mod will pan out. But there are quite some players who at the end of the league want to go all in and this is the perfect way to do it. Maximum risk for maximum reward.

Most people will sell of these maps to other players and only the very bold will run them on Standard. And yes people will die and will be sent to void league.

That is why as a supporter you are better off making an easy map with a somewhat good reward as these people can run without fear. But something is telling that quite a lot of highest-tier supporters will include sent-to-void-league-on-death mod.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Ah, yes, someone getting PK'd in hc league wasn't idiotic enough, so they introduced more ways to make memes. Nice.
I'm 100% with OP, this mod should not exist.
"
Sukhoi_01 wrote:
"

an additional type of risk. It isn't going to be imperative that you do this content, you can either trade for the foil items or sell/service the run off to someone else, or take the chance that you'll die. If you don't like that, you can opt to not risk your character and no one will fault you.

There's a big "risk" difference between not paying attention and dying to a reflect/anti-regen/anti-leech map, getting sent from HC to standard, and having your entire fucking character deleted.

I don't give a damn what the reward might be, there should never be a "risk" of your shit being yeeted to the void, especially if you're on SC.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
"
Sukhoi_01 wrote:
then the hapless idiot loses their character. The map mods are on the right side of the screen. just look. The what ifs are pointless, and if you need a malicious actor for an example of why you don't like something, it seems flimsy. Just don't run it. You'll be fine.

So now someone trying to be helpful is just a "hapless idiot"? If you just join someone else's hideout to help them run a map, is there anything at all to indicate this is a special or especially dangerous type of map before you enter it?

* You can't see map mods before entering a map.

* These use regular map areas, and normally you can only see the map name before entering a map portal.

* Even if this uses a special looking portal, there are tons of portal cosmetics and it's guaranteed not everyone is going to know which one is for these types of maps.

* Only a small fraction of the playerbase is even aware this is a map mod they need to worry about.

* There are plenty of people playing in SC who can run pretty much any normal set of map mods and wouldn't be expecting some bullshit like this, and some of them certainly spend time in global 820 helping others.

* Even if you are aware that you're entering a special type of map and that this mod exists and are on the lookout for it, you can still miss or misread the modifiers.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
Color coded map mods would be a good start.
Right now the map mods are one giant wall of blue text no one ever reads, because it's tiresome to your sight. So you occasionally die to reflect.

High risk high reward stuff is in the game, i mean there's Original Sin in sanctum where you lose several stacks of divine orbs after just a single hit.

Do we at least know what the unique is? Because i don't want to be trolled by a ridiculously hard map for a fucking foiled Oppressor or Tabula Rasa.
"
Esubane wrote:
High risk high reward stuff is in the game, i mean there's Original Sin in sanctum where you lose several stacks of divine orbs after just a single hit.

Again, there's a big difference between losing a handful of divines in a Sanctum gambling for a unique reward versus getting your entire character deleted from the game trying to maybe, and I mean *maaaaaaaaybe* getting a headhunter/mageblood, assuming the people making these maps didn't just add a common trash unique reward for shits and giggles.

I don't mind a map being agonizingly difficult by killing you so frequently that you blew all of your portals trying. Hell if I had the supporter pack, I would've made a map with grossly inflated monster stats, you have all curses, no regen or life leech, monsters stealing flask charges, and no rares as a way to earn a headhunter. However, I wouldn't ever have thought to also include a way to straight up delete someone's hard work as a "risk" factor.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Dec 10, 2023, 4:51:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info