[3.1] Firestorm Leech Tank

I know it won't be fast, but is this build viable for the content in the Turmoil race? I don't care about ladders, I'll just treat the race as a mini-league, so I'm only wondering whether it can decently handle the race mechanics while leveling and mapping. Been wanting to try this build. Thanks.
"
baelmon wrote:
I know it won't be fast, but is this build viable for the content in the Turmoil race? I don't care about ladders, I'll just treat the race as a mini-league, so I'm only wondering whether it can decently handle the race mechanics while leveling and mapping. Been wanting to try this build. Thanks.

Firestorm is one of the better skills for racing to the point where it gets banned during some community hosted races (along with sunder). And this is the best firestorm build around, so it should perform admirably - just don't choose the flameblast totem leveling path, go with firestorm all the way.

I will be playing Turmoil as well, not pushing the ladder since I am a filthy casual with a full time job, but trying to get to 90.
I know that increased skill duration is important to stack as many Firestorms as possible.
But is Exceptional Performance really needed or is Potency of Will enough to keep the stacks going?

I am asking because if you dont need the extra duration that bad, you could stop at the life wheel and go from Deep Wisdom to Trickery, Blood Siphon down to Vaal Pact. It leaves you with enough points to invest in Written in Blood and Revenge of the Hunted.

That way you would gain 1k more life, 150 ES and minimal increase in damage and crit.
"
Xirce wrote:
I know that increased skill duration is important to stack as many Firestorms as possible.
But is Exceptional Performance really needed or is Potency of Will enough to keep the stacks going?

I am asking because if you dont need the extra duration that bad, you could stop at the life wheel and go from Deep Wisdom to Trickery, Blood Siphon down to Vaal Pact. It leaves you with enough points to invest in Written in Blood and Revenge of the Hunted.

That way you would gain 1k more life, 150 ES and minimal increase in damage and crit.

I am not sure how you got 1k more life. I used my character in PoB and got three life clusters - Melding, Written in blood and Revenge of the hunted and my life went from 6938 to 7554, so 616 more life - less than 10%.

On the other hand, the second duration cluster brings up to 30% more damage against relatively stationary targets (read: bosses) and damage for this build is key for survival as you need to be able to outleech incoming damage. It also offers quality of life in a form of increased arcane surge and orb of storm duration.

As you can see in my videos, I was able to facetank Shaper including his slams with 6.9k life so I don't believe that extra 600hp would make a difference and hence I don't think that this trade-off would be worthwhile.
"
DirtyDot wrote:

I am not sure how you got 1k more life. I used my character in PoB and got three life clusters - Melding, Written in blood and Revenge of the hunted and my life went from 6938 to 7554, so 616 more life - less than 10%.

On the other hand, the second duration cluster brings up to 30% more damage against relatively stationary targets (read: bosses) and damage for this build is key for survival as you need to be able to outleech incoming damage. It also offers quality of life in a form of increased arcane surge and orb of storm duration.

As you can see in my videos, I was able to facetank Shaper including his slams with 6.9k life so I don't believe that extra 600hp would make a difference and hence I don't think that this trade-off would be worthwhile.

I didnt invest in Melding just in Written in Blood and the full wheel of Revenge of the hunted. The inc% life from tree went from 187% to 225%. In my case it was about a 1k life increase.

I dont like the idea of buying a 6 link Belly of the Beast. Any unique armor and especially good Bellys are way too expensive as a 6 link. And i not even try to 6 link it myself because i suck at rng most of the time.

Without a Belly its hard to come close to 7k life which seems to be needed on all the top bosses.

How do you know that you get 30% more damage out of a 45% longer skill duration?
Why dont you use a Increased Duration gem then (up to 74% longer) instead of Fire Penetration for example?

I am just asking because you may have tested it already.

All increased modifier are additive, not multiplicative and subject to diminishing returns.
so for the second duration cluster your duration multiplier would be (1 + 0.45 + 0.45) / (1 + 0.45) = 1.31

same principle applies to life as well. i think the reason why you are getting larger total life increase is because you didn't take into accout 7% increased life on all jewels which is easy to get

if you are still willing to sacrifice damage for life, i'd rather drop the Heart of Flame and Cruel preparation clusters and get Devotion, extra jewel slot next to it and the Revenge of the hunted cluster
How about Pledge of Hands + Kaom's Heart + Kaom's Root's with MoM?
Any tips for clearing Chayula / Uul-Netol breaches with this build? I've bricked three so far, ran out of time and didn't get very far in.

"
Any tips for clearing Chayula / Uul-Netol breaches with this build? I've bricked three so far, ran out of time and didn't get very far in.

replace life leech with increased duration and then just cast and go. don't stop to see the mobs die, they will be dying behind you.
"
replace life leech with increased duration and then just cast and go. don't stop to see the mobs die, they will be dying behind you

Just tried it, made it a little over halfway through (https://i.imgur.com/daHAzyt.jpg)... getting there :-)

Any other support gems I should swap out? Also got Elemental Focus, Spell Echo, Fire Penetration, Concentrated Effect linked with my firestorm.
Last edited by joshagarrado on Nov 13, 2017, 7:25:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info