Jonathan Talks About the Path of Exile Game Engine

"
xDmacx wrote:
"
Bolaway wrote:
Speak about the PoE1 engine instead of PoE2

Right Dude, Poe1 engine is totaly old and broken. I have a realy solid comp where i can play FPS Games in Ultra like Battlefield or Cod. If i play with 3 Mates Poe in a map i got a Diashow....

And thats not fun to play, u getting rage here by these bugs and problems to play poe.

Yeah, right. I have a really solid comp and I can play PoE without any serious performance issues.

Also, you do realize that PoE2 uses the same exact engine with PoE1?
Really great content, thanks a lot for releasing this! However, the video quality (even on 1080p) is really poor. I’m still looking forward to more of this.
Last edited by path23leech on Aug 18, 2021, 9:49:00 AM
I just noticed something, maybe its just me, but in the POE 2 game footage the camera looks a lot farther out, am i imagining that ? If not that is going to be such a good change because ive always felt the camera was a bit too close in this game.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
He loves to code and to create. That's great. They got a mathematician from Russia to do some cool stuff. That's cool, too. But that doesn't fix stutterings the engine has when accessing its shader library and overall low performance to a degree it becomes smooth experience.
Character morphs and cool animations? These look great in character viewer, but the actual onscreen gameplay is a tangled clusterduck hidden behind special effects -- almost none of this is visible.

And the main problem is not even the engine, but the game design of the whole systems inside the game. The balance around the totally wrong factors (like top players with past-endgame items) makes it even worse. Recent flask nerf didn't "break" the game -- it just uncovered gaping holes in this overall game design that flasks were bandaiding, so many saw clearly that the game has severe problems.
And again, some things that were promptly reverted (to a degree) could have been easily avoided during playtesting, if there was any -- they are too obvious to miss.

All in all, PoE has severe design problems from its very Open Beta (I don't know about before). Some were straight up copied from D2 (like reflect auras). The game has to be redesigned to actually have these problems fixed -- otherwise, all we get is bandaids that are falling flat in the long run.

Server-only nature of the game in its current iteration is lacking as well. When instead of pausing the instance when the player disconnects or crashes, the game returns him to last town, it both punishes him for doing nothing wrong and opens avenues for cheating (yes, the infamous PoE Hardcore Logout to throw off damaging ailments and escaping tight situations). I have even heard a conspiracy theory that oneshots/instabursts were in the game to prevent that (which is wild, of course, since these are a game design oversight).
And yes, having peope to constantly walk through towns just to display them some random guys clustering in their clustered MTX's (forming large ugly clusters) is just bad.

Worst of all, though, the game doesn't respect player investment. The rewards are meager and the grind is enormous. Again, there's nothing wrong with grinding to advance something -- but the closer you are to the endgame, the less is there of personal advance (quickly dwindling to none), while the supersystems like Syndicate, Temple or Delve are too short-cycled to be worked towards. The Conqueror system is just bad compared to the War for the Atlas -- again, with heaps of grind for literally no reward most of the time.
And the idea of resetting the Atlas and making the maps from different seasons incompatible is one of the worst marketing ideas in GGG's existence.

Of skills and their variety I think everything was talked about before.

Etc. The game has severe problems on all levels. The bandaids were covering these somewhat -- but were removed, so these problems are open for the most to observe. I think sending Chris around on different YouTube shows and remembering bright moments where everything looked fine overall (once again, many spoke of the problems I mentioned and more) will not help, but just annoy the playerbase more. When people care, it's easy to hurt them -- it's simple as that.
And the game's severe problems have to be addressed one way or the other.
Last edited by Shade_RU_N53 on Aug 18, 2021, 11:18:34 AM
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
I just noticed something, maybe its just me, but in the POE 2 game footage the camera looks a lot farther out, am i imagining that ? If not that is going to be such a good change because ive always felt the camera was a bit too close in this game.

They talked about this during Exilecon. If I'm remembering correctly, the camera is not zoomed out. From what I remember they're adjusting the angle and central position slightly. We will gain more vision of the play field though the camera itself is not just simply zoomed out. It's a win for us because we can see more and it's win for the devs because it's not costing more system resources.

I would go back and watch the talks from Exilecon to get the precise details on this. It has been some time since I last watched it.
Imagine if PoE had real engine and let us enjoy stacking mechanics in maps so we do not waste money for new machines but for mtx... But no - all fixes of shitshows in the game had no effect, game runs worse than pre-metamorph leagues. And i am not sure i want to buy new machine soon, who knows how fucked up PoE2 will be, might be just waste of money to buy new machine for one game...
Slow down for a minute to enjoy the beauty around us.
awesome :D!!
They have valid reasons for creating their on engine. However the fact remains that there are lots of other ARPGs that look a lot better than this.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
"
They have valid reasons for creating their on engine. However the fact remains that there are lots of other ARPGs that look a lot better than this.

And 0 aRPGs that hold up to PoE in mechanics, depth and creativity. It's like you didn't even watch the video.

Also, there are no current aRPGs that look better than PoE2. Or even future ones. Diablo 4 looks worse than PoE2 footage.
i really enjoy to get such insights.
Thanks GGG for sharing

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info