Jonathan Talks About the Path of Exile Game Engine

Really wanted to see this, but the video quality is terrible..
"
outpixeled wrote:
"
They have valid reasons for creating their on engine. However the fact remains that there are lots of other ARPGs that look a lot better than this.

And 0 aRPGs that hold up to PoE in mechanics, depth and creativity. It's like you didn't even watch the video.

Also, there are no current aRPGs that look better than PoE2. Or even future ones. Diablo 4 looks worse than PoE2 footage.

What do mechanics and depth have to do with what I said? It's like you didn't even read my comment. Ah well... fanboys will be fanboys.

Also it says a lot if the video showcasing the engine is AWFUL quality.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
Last edited by Aias_o_Telamonios on Aug 18, 2021, 3:43:12 PM
Interesting
Jonathan we love U!!!! UwU <3
:D
"
"
outpixeled wrote:
"
They have valid reasons for creating their on engine. However the fact remains that there are lots of other ARPGs that look a lot better than this.

And 0 aRPGs that hold up to PoE in mechanics, depth and creativity. It's like you didn't even watch the video.

Also, there are no current aRPGs that look better than PoE2. Or even future ones. Diablo 4 looks worse than PoE2 footage.

What do mechanics and depth have to do with what I said? It's like you didn't even read my comment. Ah well... fanboys will be fanboys.

Also it says a lot if the video showcasing the engine is AWFUL quality.

I don't know why the video they uploaded is this BAD quality. If you go to the GameDeveloperGuild twitch channel you can see they have snippets from the stream that has MUCH better quality. I am truly confused why GGG decided to upload such a bad quality video (perhaps someone from GGG could clarify?). Don't know if they realized that something shouldn't have been publicly available and so they uploaded a pixelated version or what is going on, but it's very sad/hard to watch with excitement when it's this bad quality I agree! The original VOD of the talk is removed as well - hence why I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the content of the video being available.

Also just to throw a bone to the original argument. Wolcen - albeit a bad game at launch - was never a bad looking one and could be argued to be better looking than PoE2 depending on perspective. But I don't think that GGG ever wanted to "be better than anyone" in terms of graphics - they just want to improve PoE 2 compared to PoE 1. Graphics is as subjective as it gets, is what I'm trying to say.
"
znowstorm wrote:
They spend literally millions improving art and graphics then cover it up with a decade old filter system. Please explain?

The default filter isn't a decade old, not even the None option for filtering is a decade old. The game came out in 2013 and item filters came out somewhere around 2018 I think (with a Default option for the filter that in the past was not selected by default for new installs of the game).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Thank you so much for sharing this. As a fellow game developer, I really appreciate the insight into how other studios do things. It's super impressive what you guys have achieved, and that you had the balls to write your own engine and the skills to actually pull it off. While I still think that for the vast majority of games, you shouldn't reinvent the wheel and just use what's already there, you made some very good points why those solutions didn't work for Path of Exile, and I agree that you couldn't have made the game what it is with a general purpose engine.

Please don't let the negativity discourage you from talking more about your tech stack in the future. Most of the people who comment here couldn't even build Tetris in Unity. That doesn't mean these videos aren't valuable to those who care about them.
FilterCloud: https://filter.poe.gg
Filter Debugger: https://bschug.github.io/poedit/poedit.html
"
Bolaway wrote:
Speak about the PoE1 engine instead of PoE2

yes poe1 is more important for now, who cares about future?
Rip Youtube upload quality. 1080p looks like 360p.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info