fps drops and overall poor performance

"
Bigozerki1 wrote:
I noticed a strange drop in fps in this league. I use a build through a splitting steel, when I enter the map and clear half of the map, my fps drops to 40-50, if I stop and wait a few minutes, 3-4 minutes the fps gradually returns to 58-60. I have no idea why this is happening. At the moment the FPS drops, a gradual load on the processor is noticeable; if when entering the map, the delay is 8-10 ms; as you progress through the map, the delay increases to 25 ms. I also tried to play on a different build for the standard league, the result was much better even with a very strong pack size of monsters and delirium, 80% FPS and CPU latency did not decrease. Perhaps this happens on abilities with a large number of projectiles and hits. I forgot to note that at the moment the FPS drops and before it comes back, the shaders are not loaded; if there was a loading of shaders, this could be attributed to this, but here is something else

I am almost sure the problem is with some explosions. They use particle physics for the show. This requires computations outside the traditional render pipeline. Now GPUs are used for everything, including these computations, but they can suck all the computational power if they are not careful.
Because the GPU doesn't accept more instructions, they stack in the CPU waiting and sucking CPU power as well. This is why dynamic resolution do nothing to help restore the framerate, because the issue is not in the shader computations. A quick fix could be to use less and bigger particles for the explosions.
They should check if there are some explosions that use one million particles. Very nice explosion, but if you have an event like blight with hundred of explosions... Yep, this things sometimes slip without notice.
Last edited by B00b on Apr 7, 2024, 9:24:52 AM
"
B00b wrote:
"
Bigozerki1 wrote:
I noticed a strange drop in fps in this league. I use a build through a splitting steel, when I enter the map and clear half of the map, my fps drops to 40-50, if I stop and wait a few minutes, 3-4 minutes the fps gradually returns to 58-60. I have no idea why this is happening. At the moment the FPS drops, a gradual load on the processor is noticeable; if when entering the map, the delay is 8-10 ms; as you progress through the map, the delay increases to 25 ms. I also tried to play on a different build for the standard league, the result was much better even with a very strong pack size of monsters and delirium, 80% FPS and CPU latency did not decrease. Perhaps this happens on abilities with a large number of projectiles and hits. I forgot to note that at the moment the FPS drops and before it comes back, the shaders are not loaded; if there was a loading of shaders, this could be attributed to this, but here is something else

I am almost sure the problem is with some explosions. They use particle physics for the show. This requires computations outside the traditional render pipeline. Now GPUs are used for everything, including these computations, but they can suck all the computational power if they are not careful.
Because the GPU doesn't accept more instructions, they stack in the CPU waiting and sucking CPU power as well. This is why dynamic resolution do nothing to help restore the framerate, because the issue is not in the shader computations. A quick fix could be to use less and bigger particles for the explosions.
They should check if there are some explosions that use one million particles. Very nice explosion, but if you have an event like blight with hundred of explosions... Yep, this things sometimes slip without notice.

Yea also bumping the particle count on spells and effect causing bad performance along with light reflection from spell like fire or lightning that can just bounce in the environment and cause unnecessary lag for just looking pretty, that's why other games have options to disable these kind of stuff is really just for screenshot and showcasing but 100% of people will disable it for performance game that's the reality, the game engine need some serious optimization if that the case in PoE 2 they will have the same issues there too.
Last edited by Ramymn on Apr 7, 2024, 9:44:25 AM
"
Ramymn wrote:
"
B00b wrote:
"
Bigozerki1 wrote:

Yea also bumping the particle count on spells and effect causing bad performance along with light reflection from spell like fire or lightning that can just bounce in the environment and cause unnecessary lag for just looking pretty, that's why other games have options to disable these kind of stuff is really just for screenshot and showcasing but 100% of people will disable it for performance game that's the reality, the game engine need some serious optimization if that the case in PoE 2 they will have the same issues there too.

If I remember correctly, these features of reflections and raytracing were implemented at hardware level since de RTX 20 series, but there is a limitation on the number of light sources. If you surpass this number or if you have a previous generation GPU or a integrated chip it will kick emulation mode that might struggle to compute or burn your processor depending on the complexity of the scene.
I'm also having insane framerate drops in town this league just because of peoples MTX. Never had that issue in past leagues. Hearing the goblin band play in town a million times just sucks. To make matters worse I chose a DD CoC build this league but I now see it's impossible to play late game unless you BUY the friggin MTX to fix the framerate drop associated with desecrate late game. I've bought stash tabs before so I'm OK with giving them money but I refuse to buy a framerate fix. Just ridiculous. So add me to the heap of players dropping out of necro early. This mechanic isn't even worth dealing with all the new framerate headaches now. I have zero motivation to spend 20 minutes putting all these corpses in the ground again just so I can generate vendor trash and looking at a spreadsheet even longer just to get it to "work right" definitely isn't happening. Hopefully PoE2 won't have these issues.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info